Uncharted Territory
1727 posts

Re: When will we get games like the good old days?

Feb 20, 2010

Myth384 wrote:
Meh, recent games still entairtain me.
Don't be silly! Recent games do NOT entertain you. You simply aren't intelligent enough to realize this fact on your own. Thank goodness for message boards to set you straight!

/removes tongue from cheek 

Message 11 of 50 (4 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Feb 21, 2010

McBonk wrote:

Myth384 wrote:
Meh, recent games still entairtain me.
Don't be silly! Recent games do NOT entertain you. You simply aren't intelligent enough to realize this fact on your own. Thank goodness for message boards to set you straight!

/removes tongue from cheek 

hehe...I tried not to but this still made me laugh.

No offense to Myth meant.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 12 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1963 posts

Feb 21, 2010

McBonk wrote:

White_oyster wrote:

I just hope though that the industry gets over itself with all that silly macho game stuff and starts to bring back a bit of sensitivity and beauty in games again.  And colour!  I want colour in my games!  Our eyes are capable of seeing more than brown and puke green, however hard the army tries to brainwash us into thinking otherwise!

Ok, I'll stop complaining.  I hope that Atlu's PS3 game they are working on will make this gen just a bit more exciting for me.

Don't mean to be a downer, oyster, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Our Sacred Gamer's Glen has been "discovered," exploited, and had an interstate built right through it. There's no going back. 

You are most likely right (unfortunately).  But you never know what may happen. I'm still hoping that the 'interstate' will fall to disrepair due to neglect and they will come back later and 'renovate' with turn-based coming back in the future.  

Message Edited by Hobbun on 02-21-2010 04:44 AM
Message 13 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Feb 21, 2010

i never thought FFX was that special, Tidus single handedly defined the stereotype of girlie-man, blitzball was lame, the whole sin story was just as lame as blitzball... I'll take DQ:VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Demon Souls, Odin Sphere, SMT titles any day over that Square Enix made crap... I would much rather see a Dark cloud 3 over another Final Fantasy title... Resonance of Fate is gonna pwn FF13 BTW.... and lol to whatever happened to games like Jak and daxter... last I checked they still make them, and they are just as good, sure there hasn't been a next gen one, but I'm sure since Ratchet and Cl;ank have seen much success, naughty Dog will take a break from Uncharted to make their next Jak title... KH, really? last I checked it wasn't that long ago since KH2, and they are working on KH3, KH 350whatever days came out on the DS a few months ago, just as good as either 1 or 2, and KH: Birth by Sleep is coming for the PSP. There was a crash title on 360, but it was crap (I never liked Crash anyways) most of the games you mentioned were very childish ones that many gamers don't care about... Spyro.... ROFLMFAO

Everyone please buy Yakuza 3 (March 9, same day as Final Fantasy, but really who is waiting for that chick flick?)

Message Edited by Trivium on 02-21-2010 05:31 AM
Message 14 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Feb 21, 2010

What's ruined gaming for me this gen is the mass inclusion of Multiplayer, especially in RPGs.........i don't care how well it's implemented, either. WKC was a day one buy, until online was implemeted.

Fortunately, i have RPGs from the start of the PS1 era on.....besides, i don't mind saving money by not buying what i don't like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think what really needs to be pointed out, however, is the games are being developed for this gen's gamers. Even though us old olk still pay the price for games, the focus is now on what drives the 21st century gamer.

The past was great, but imho the future(except for a few titles) is no longer looking too rosy.

As an example, the only 4 games i have slated to purchase in the next year are Atelier Rorona, Sakura Wars(PS2), 3dot Heroes, and Ar tonelico 3(when it gets localized). From what i have seen over the last year or so, Atlus and NISA seem to be the only 2 companies who understand that we still exist, therefore they earn my money.

Message 15 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1727 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Hobbun wrote:

McBonk wrote:

White_oyster wrote:

I just hope though that the industry gets over itself with all that silly macho game stuff and starts to bring back a bit of sensitivity and beauty in games again.  And colour!  I want colour in my games!  Our eyes are capable of seeing more than brown and puke green, however hard the army tries to brainwash us into thinking otherwise!

Ok, I'll stop complaining.  I hope that Atlu's PS3 game they are working on will make this gen just a bit more exciting for me.

Don't mean to be a downer, oyster, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Our Sacred Gamer's Glen has been "discovered," exploited, and had an interstate built right through it. There's no going back. 

You are most likely right (unfortunately).  But you never know what may happen. I'm still hoping that the 'interstate' will fall to disrepair due to neglect and they will come back later and 'renovate' with turn-based coming back in the future.  

Message Edited by Hobbun on 02-21-2010 04:44 AM

Yes, Hobbun. And hopefully a few developers will find a way to keep their subversive CBGB clubs hidden (and profitable-enough-to-keep-their-doors-open) on the outskirts of town. 

Message 16 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Feb 21, 2010
i find it funny that ppl keep bashing graphics and such, to the op all those game u listed had top of the line graphics for there time and puched the ps2 to the limit. now that that limit is set even higher with a new system ppl act like its a sin for wanting devs to reach for it like they did last gen. rpgs were notorious for pushing the envlope on graphics more then any other type of game. they broke fluid gameplay so they could have all spells summons and speical moves have super eye candy, and packed in loads of CG movies that still look great now. so its always funny how u talk about how rpgs should not be about graphics when high hd graphics and take a story to a whole new level........just look at heavy rain when it comes up being able to see emotion on your partys face thats doesnt look clunky or funky looking cab be moving
Message 17 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2195 posts

Feb 21, 2010
Dragon Age felt like a game from the good old days in my opinion. Any fan of Baulder's Gate and KOTOR should like it.
Message 18 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1963 posts

Feb 21, 2010

McBonk wrote:

Yes, Hobbun. And hopefully a few developers will find a way to keep their subversive CBGB clubs hidden (and profitable-enough-to-keep-their-doors-open) on the outskirts of town. 

To be honest, I am not sure exactly what you are getting at (especially with the abbrieviation of CBGB), but I do feel there is a chance of the more 'traditional' type of gameplay returning again. Things run in phases, people may tire of our "faster, faster, faster" phase and developers could very well revert to worked in the past. 

But, if they don't and the traditional RPGs do vanish, then I guess it will also be a good thing for me as I will have more free money as it won't be spent on video games.

Message 19 of 50 (4 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Trivium wrote:

i never thought FFX was that special, Tidus single handedly defined the stereotype of girlie-man, blitzball was lame, the whole sin story was just as lame as blitzball... I'll take DQ:VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Demon Souls, Odin Sphere, SMT titles any day over that Square Enix made crap... I would much rather see a Dark cloud 3 over another Final Fantasy title... Resonance of Fate is gonna pwn FF13 BTW.... and lol to whatever happened to games like Jak and daxter... last I checked they still make them, and they are just as good, sure there hasn't been a next gen one, but I'm sure since Ratchet and Cl;ank have seen much success, naughty Dog will take a break from Uncharted to make their next Jak title... KH, really? last I checked it wasn't that long ago since KH2, and they are working on KH3, KH 350whatever days came out on the DS a few months ago, just as good as either 1 or 2, and KH: Birth by Sleep is coming for the PSP. There was a crash title on 360, but it was crap (I never liked Crash anyways) most of the games you mentioned were very childish ones that many gamers don't care about... Spyro.... ROFLMFAO

Everyone please buy Yakuza 3 (March 9, same day as Final Fantasy, but really who is waiting for that chick flick?)

Message Edited by Trivium on 02-21-2010 05:31 AM

Good, make fun of and insult someone to prove your point.  What a good method of  arguing a point.  I wonder why everyone doesn't do it.

In case you can't tell I'm being sarchastic.

we like to be respectful around here, please if you are going to comment keep things friendly.  We all are entitled to our own opinion, by all means share yours.  But no reason to tear someone else down because it differs from yours.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 20 of 50 (4 Views)