Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
248 posts

Re: When will we get games like the good old days?

Feb 27, 2010

White_oyster wrote:

Its like all anyone cares about are FPS and God of War type action games, and apart from the odd RPG nothing else gets made for consoles.  

I completely agree with you, but you're forgetting two things.
1. God of War is an amazing multi-million dollar franchise
2. Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3, X-Edge and White Knight Chronicles are on the PS3. If you really like RPGs that much you picked the wrong freaking console. The wii is the console that has those last gen games everyone loves, and has the most J-rpgs on the market and they all look pretty good.
3.They've already announced or hinted at sequels to many, many franchises on the PS2 and Gamecube: Jak and Daxter, we already have Ratchet and Clank, there's supposed to be a new Kingdom Hearts game released every year (no word on what platforms tho), Sly Cooper, and ofcourse nintendo has their own slew of games. What are you complaining about? Honestly?
MySpace Codes
Message 41 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3971 posts

Feb 28, 2010
When a time-travelling DeLorean with a nuclear reactor is invented.
Photobucket
Message 42 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7027 posts

Mar 2, 2010

fireice22 wrote:

Until then ill play Nazi Zombies (fun gameplay+Secret story which is crazy awesome check it out on youtube if you havnt seen it.)

You talk about how how games have no story and bad gameplay and then you bring up Nazi Zombies, where you sit in a room and the zombies come at you and that's it. I couldn't believe it when WaW first game out and Nacht der Untoten was the only map and people went bananas over it.  Way to finish an argument.

I don't think of the PS2 as the "good ol' days" either. To me it's more like the NES/SNES with Mario, Super Mario Brothers 3, FF VI, FF I, Zelda, and the likes.

Message 43 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
475 posts

Mar 2, 2010

S_H_O_T_G_U_N_S wrote:

fireice22 wrote:

Until then ill play Nazi Zombies (fun gameplay+Secret story which is crazy awesome check it out on youtube if you havnt seen it.)

You talk about how how games have no story and bad gameplay and then you bring up Nazi Zombies, where you sit in a room and the zombies come at you and that's it. I couldn't believe it when WaW first game out and Nacht der Untoten was the only map and people went bananas over it.  Way to finish an argument.

I don't think of the PS2 as the "good ol' days" either. To me it's more like the NES/SNES with Mario, Super Mario Brothers 3, FF VI, FF I,

Zelda, and the likes.

Lol relax i like it cause when i play with friends we have a fun time. Im not saying theres a good campaign im saying the secret story behind the game is interesting and its fun shooting zombies. If you dont like it fine its not like im inviting you to play with me... Just cause im saying im missing the old great games doesnt mean I shouldnt play other ones...

Photobucket
Message 44 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1726 posts

Mar 2, 2010

S_H_O_T_G_U_N_S wrote:

I don't think of the PS2 as the "good ol' days" either. To me it's more like the NES/SNES with Mario, Super Mario Brothers 3, FF VI, FF I, Zelda, and the likes.

I agree. The funny thing is every generation there is always a feeling that the last was better or like the TC said the good ol days.

I've been gaming for 20+ years and I see topics or hear people talk about the good ol days all the time. When the PS2 came out gamers were talking about how the PS1 games were the goold old days. The PS1 came out gamers were talking about how the 16 bit era were the good old days. When the 16 bit era came around people were talking about how the 8 bit era were the good old days. It goes on and on.

It wouldn't surprise me if when the PS10 comes out 70  or so years from now, gamers would be talking about the PS3 had the best games and these days that we are in were the good old days, lol.

Message 45 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
662 posts

Mar 2, 2010

Gameplay always beats graphics.

Graphics make for better demos.

There's the challenge.  If you want to demonstrate gameplay - especially gameplay of complex stories and environments, it becomes difficult to convey that in a short presentation space - so the games with heavy graphics get more press and attention.

That said - there are still many, many modern games that are plain fun!  If you look one layer below the major releases - you can find secondary publishers and titles that really harken back the "good old days" and have a wealth of entertainment value within them.

The other option is to keep living in the past - in a good way.  Many of the "old" games still have a wonderful re-play value and might be worthy of a revisit.  I'm finding my PS2 games getting a good workout these days.  The PSP and a TV cable are a real win as well - you can drive the game from the PSP, but watch it on a larger screen.

Message 46 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11498 posts

Mar 3, 2010

I miss the old games as well Most of all, the Socom series. Those were the best gaming years of my life, I don't think I have ever felt the same way I do about socom for any other game out there. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the games out right now and really enjoy them. Sometimes I wish the PS3 was never created and we still have only the PS2 coming out with new games. I know socom isn't an RPG, but I guess my response was just a general reply to the thread title.

LastShot-
Message 47 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2551 posts

Mar 3, 2010

The PS2 game Suidoken3 was an eye opening experience that blew me away. That was the last great RPG I played. It didn't hurt that it coincided with the purchase of a 42 inch SD TV.

Message 48 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Mar 3, 2010

FFX was a masterpiece... ya right. 

FFVI was a masterpiece.  I miss the good old, old days.

Message 49 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

Mar 4, 2010

Ben4point0 wrote:

FFX was a masterpiece... ya right. 

FFVI was a masterpiece.  I miss the good old, old days.

VI is more of a cult classic than a masterpiece.

Message 50 of 50 (25 Views)
0 Likes