Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 20 2010
By: fireice22 Sackboy 475 posts

When will we get games like the good old days?

49 replies 35 views Edited Feb 20, 2010

I miss playing those awesome games where the gameplay and story came together to create a real masterpiece,  like  ffx, KH, Jak and daxter 1(not 2+),spyro, and Crash, i know im missing more but these games were just amazing, i didnt care about the graphics infact i still enjoy them more than most of the games out right now.  I recently bought demon souls, the gameplay is fun but the lack of story really dissapoints me. Im waiting for ff13 and i hope it can live up to its expectations. Guess ill have to wait...

Until then ill play Nazi Zombies (fun gameplay+Secret story which is crazy awesome check it out on youtube if you havnt seen it.)

Message Edited by fireice22 on 02-20-2010 12:50 AM
Photobucket
Message 1 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2797 posts

Re: When will we get games like the good old days?

Feb 20, 2010

FFX has a good story?

I must've been sleeping under a rock WHILE I PLAYED IT.

Message Edited by IanSempai on 02-20-2010 02:56 AM

Message 2 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Feb 20, 2010

Funny you brought this up, I have just been thinking how much I miss the last generation of consoles.  Not that there isn't a lot I don't enjoy about this gen because there is, and there are a lot of great games i enjoy.  But the PS2 days and gamecube days I really miss.  I can't really think of a game that has gotten me as excited as Okami did for instance.  And the joy I felt playing Okami...I can't think of a game in this gen where I felt that complete enjoyment.  I was so drawn in by that game and its beauty...and the types of games being made this gen are dissapointing also.  Most RPG's are going to handhelds which is lame.  So fewer console RPG's.  And I can understand the reasons and they make sense.  But it is still sad.  A thread I made a while ago showed most people want fancy graphics, they said that is important to them.  Well expansive RPG's just are not feasible to make with beautiful graphics.  I mean just look how out of hand Final Fantasy thirteen got, and the ammount they spent on that was just staggering and costs were totally out of control in my  opinion.  Most developers can't afford that.  But no one will accept an RPG with say last gen graphics.  So its too expensive to make beautiful graphics and a huge amazing world with expansive story etc.   This is why I think there are fewer RPG"s on consoles is its not cost effective for such a niche genre.

Anyway so to make a long story short, fewer RPG's and the RPG's we get are less willing to take risks because costs are so high meaning non interesting RPG's.  Not to say they aren't good, just not trying new things.  

But also tons of other great genres are totally being ignored this gen.  One of my favorites is something I like to call RPG lite.  The adventure genre, like Okami.  Games like Okami do have some things in common with RPG's but are not RPG's, but I do love them.  I can't even think of a PS3 adventure game right now.  I guess Darksiders might be...and Folklore I guess would be advemture (amazing game by the way)  but overall its being ignored.  I won't go into detail about other ignored types of games I really miss because this is about RPG's, but there are lots.  

Its like all anyone cares about are FPS and God of War type action games, and apart from the odd RPG nothing else gets made for consoles.  

I miss the last generation for tons of reasons.  Maybe I just haven't really warmed up to the current gen yet for whatever reason...

It was great though that Persona 3 and 4 came out for the PS2 cause I could prolong last gens life and still enjoy it with new content.   It is strange though that I don't feel the kind of excitement for new games like I did last gen.  I can't really claim its my age because I was an adult last gen, just a younger adult.  I mean I didn't feel the magic last gen that I did as a kid playing on the NES and SNES discovering zelda for the first time and such, but I still was plenty excited for games during PS2's reign.  So I can't think what has changed.  Well...the only thing really is I've gotten much sicker...maybe thats the reason I haven't enjoyed this gen as much.  You'd think I'd enjoy it more though being able to escape into a game...

I just hope though that the industry gets over itself with all that silly macho game stuff and starts to bring back a bit of sensitivity and beauty in games again.  And colour!  I want colour in my games!  Our eyes are capable of seeing more than brown and puke green, however hard the army tries to brainwash us into thinking otherwise!

Ok, I'll stop complaining.  I hope that Atlu's PS3 game they are working on will make this gen just a bit more exciting for me.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 3 of 50 (35 Views)
Sackboy
475 posts

Feb 20, 2010

IanSempai wrote:

FFX has a good story?

hmm maybe try playing it again ... 

and White_oyster i totally agree with you.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1727 posts

Feb 20, 2010

fireice22 wrote:

I miss playing those awesome games where the gameplay and story came together to create a real masterpiece,  like  ffx, KH, Jak and daxter 1(not 2+),spyro, and Crash, i know im missing more but these games were just amazing, i didnt care about the graphics infact i still enjoy them more than most of the games out right now.  I recently bought demon souls, the gameplay is fun but the lack of story really dissapoints me. Im waiting for ff13 and i hope it can live up to its expectations. Guess ill have to wait...

Until then ill play Nazi Zombies (fun gameplay+Secret story which is crazy awesome check it out on youtube if you havnt seen it.)

Message Edited by fireice22 on 02-20-2010 12:50 AM

By the time FFX hit, the "good 'ole days" were already long gone. Grasshopper.   

Message 5 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1727 posts

Feb 20, 2010

White_oyster wrote:

I just hope though that the industry gets over itself with all that silly macho game stuff and starts to bring back a bit of sensitivity and beauty in games again.  And colour!  I want colour in my games!  Our eyes are capable of seeing more than brown and puke green, however hard the army tries to brainwash us into thinking otherwise!

Ok, I'll stop complaining.  I hope that Atlu's PS3 game they are working on will make this gen just a bit more exciting for me.

Don't mean to be a downer, oyster, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Our Sacred Gamer's Glen has been "discovered," exploited, and had an interstate built right through it. There's no going back. 

Message 6 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2797 posts

Feb 20, 2010

fireice22 wrote:

IanSempai wrote:

FFX has a good story?

hmm maybe try playing it again ... 

and White_oyster i totally agree with you.

I'm not willing to pay for a separate console to play PS2 games. I'll have to wait to see if the PS3 will have PS2 b/c.

Message 7 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

Feb 20, 2010

IanSempai wrote:

FFX has a good story?

10 had a good/decent story, better than some other rpg's like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Borderlands, and Demon's Souls.

Message 8 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Feb 20, 2010
Meh, recent games still entairtain me.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Message 9 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
304 posts

Feb 20, 2010
All those games suck, OP.

sig
Message 10 of 50 (35 Views)
0 Likes