Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 14 2010
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41020 posts

What the hell is wrong with Square-Enix?

20 replies 12 views Edited Mar 14, 2010

Seriously?  Taken from a GDC slide (via Siliconera):

So...Hitman and Tomb Raider are Western RPGs?  I really hope Square-Enix didn't buy up Eidos thinking they've been making 'Western RPGs' all these years in Hitman and Tomb Raider :smileyindifferent::smileyvery-happy:

I'm kind of sick of Square-Enix's 'Western' fixation and I hope this slide isn't a hint of them making changes to most of their IPs to 'cater' to the 'Western' crowd. Just make games as you've been doing and go in with the idea of making a 'good' game, not trying to make a game tailored to the Western/International market.  Then again, I could say it's too late.  Front Mission, an SRPG, is now a 3rd person shooter/action game

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Re: What the hell is wrong with Square-Enix?

Mar 14, 2010

The first thing i thought when i saw the WRPG vs. JRPG was how they are trying to connect with the under 30 gamers. They tend to be more liberal with their thinking.

Ever since 2000 or so gamers have gotten much more narrowminded. It's truly sad.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (12 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

Mar 14, 2010

I am actually pretty happy with Front Mission Evolve.  Can't have enough mech battles.  (Other than Armored Core)

SRPG is such a niche in RPG, glad they are taking a good IP and actually try to make something of it instead of letting in stay in a dead pool of consistent 200k unit sold, especially considering the higher cost of development.

Sometime, you just need to take your star players and put them in the big league.  But I guess many would prefer them die a slow death and wasted in the minor.

Also, I won't necessarily consider what happend to Front Mission westernization... Mecha fighting... don't tell you that with your handle, you don't want to control a Zaku with a better control (more action oriented control with cover etc) than what we've been offered.  I certainly would love to relive some of the battle scenes in anime/manga.  That would just be awesome.   I still rememer playing Mech Warrior with my friend each with a sidewinder joystick, many quarters spent playing Virtual-On and the various Gundam/Macross games on PSP.

Bring it SE.

Images for Front Mission Evolved seem much more mecha fighting than what we typically think of TPS such as Gears or Uncharted.  Pretty Japanese if you ask me.

http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Xbox_360/Action/Mech/front_mission_evolved_profilelarge.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/990/990819/front-mission-evolved-20090603003232563...

Now Playing: Aion, Torchlight
intel i7+ Radeon HD5850, go PC!
Click sig for my collection

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (12 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Mar 14, 2010

wasabi5858 wrote:

I am actually pretty happy with Front Mission Evolve.  Can't have enough mech battles.  (Other than Armored Core)

SRPG is such a niche in RPG, glad they are taking a good IP and actually try to make something of it instead of letting in stay in a dead pool of consistent 200k unit sold, especially considering the higher cost of development.

Sometime, you just need to take your star players and put them in the big league.  But I guess many would prefer them die a slow death and wasted in the minor.

Also, I won't necessarily consider what happend to Front Mission westernization... Mecha fighting... don't tell you that with your handle, you don't want to control a Zaku with a better control (more action oriented control with cover etc) than what we've been offered.  I certainly would love to relive some of the battle scenes in anime/manga.  That would just be awesome.   I still rememer playing Mech Warrior with my friend each with a sidewinder joystick, many quarters spent playing Virtual-On and the various Gundam/Macross games on PSP.

Call me odd, but I like the certain subject/material being handled in a 'strategic' way.  Commanding a squad, customizing their loadouts, having each unit play a specific role, etc..  That's one of the major things I liked about Front Mission (mind you, FM4 was my first venture and I would love to play FM5 but it was never localized).  I'd kill for a Gundam RTS set in the UC timeline and that goes big with letting you command fleets too.  But Bandai is intent on the whole 3rd person shooter/action approach.  I wouldn't mind as much if I could get another Zeonic Front: somewhat the same approach but with a strategy take.

And yes, I'd like to play a Gundam game in the vain of 08th MS Team (more realistic approach) where I'm in the seat of a mass produced unit on a large battlefield with my own unit and a boatload of customizations and some skill involved (to really attain the rank of 'Ace' among other pilots) but I know it's not going to happen.  'Business' dictates Bandai can use the same formula they've been using and sell big cause the name 'Gundam' is slapped on it. 

I've said time and time again, I don't care for the 'business' side of the industry because it doesn't 'vibe' with my mindset and for the most part, it either restricts the chances of new IPs/concepts/ideas being executed or even a sequel being made.  It's all about 'profits' now more so and why take a chance when you can play it safe or can just do a genre-jump to pick up the people who didn't play it before because of it's prior genre (and possibly pissing off fans).  Ah, business :smileyindifferent:  Sometimes I think, if they're so worried about sinking large budgets into 'retail' games, why not develop the sequel/concept as a downloadable title?  Less risk involved and I'm positive there isn't really a limit on what you can do graphically and gameplay-wise (with a reasonable budget).

As for the matter of me saying Front Mission is getting 'Westernized', I think that's wrong...somewhat.  I'd say they went with a more 'straight-up' action approach but I think the genre-jump is what bothers me.

I think I've lost my train of thought in this post

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (12 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Mar 15, 2010

I hate to say I told you so... but back when SE first bought out Eidos I half-jokingly said something to the effect of the possibility of a Tomb Raider RPG. Well apparently in SE's mind Tomb Raider is an RPG. I suppose in the loosest sense of the word in can be a RPG.

I'm just going to continue shaking my head at SE and watch the company as it continues to mutate into something altogether different. 

This just isn't the same little company that made my RPG favorites.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5985 posts

Mar 15, 2010

That may be out of context.(East vs West)

Square Enix bought out Eidos (creator / studio for Tomb Raider, Hitman and more).

Even on this board there has a jrpg/rpg division. Even I had a post where I labeled a game rpg, and someone commented (politely mind you) about it should of been jrpg.

Eidos is UK however, europe and usa are consider "Western World" by other countries.

I don't expect to Final Fantasy, Star Ocean teams, to start developing action combat 1st/3rd fps. 

I don't expect Eidos to start having handsome / strange characters with funky hair, with very epic X character saves world.

Different culture's develop different things. Some cross over well and other's don't.

Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Mar 15, 2010

Lawl. No surprise. Good old Square Enix. I am guessing that, ever since Wada took over, that he has reveiled his "Zombie" form, ate all the brains of everyone in Square Enix, and now, we have what is left over. I also wonder if they even know what an RPG is half the time. First calling FF13 a FPS, now this? Really?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Mar 15, 2010

I pray that Mistwalker will do something with PlayStation. We need Sakaguchi and some old school turn-based awesomeness.

I'm still confused about why Wada thinks Western is such a good idea. Westernizing is ruining his market in Japan and even in NA it isn't as popular as the original JRPG style.

He doesn't seem to understand that we all love JRPGs because in NA, it's an orange among thousands of apples...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (12 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Mar 15, 2010

Xajen1 wrote:

I pray that Mistwalker will do something with PlayStation. We need Sakaguchi and some old school turn-based awesomeness.

I'm still confused about why Wada thinks Western is such a good idea. Westernizing is ruining his market in Japan and even in NA it isn't as popular as the original JRPG style.

He doesn't seem to understand that we all love JRPGs because in NA, it's an orange among thousands of apples...

They see sales of games like MW2, and go "We want a piece of that! Lets screw our own games over, so we have the old fanbases buying, but grabbing fans of FPS games to buy it too. The FPS fans will get a game they can enjoy, the fans we have already can be pissed, but hey, in the went, we get ALL of their money!"

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (12 Views)
Wastelander
876 posts

Mar 15, 2010

With so many games featuring RPG elements these days, they could pretty much claim any game developed in the US as a "Wester RPG."

0 Likes