Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Feb 05 2006
By: GrizzlyFlip Uncharted Territory 1491 posts
Offline

What is "Evil"?

14 replies 1 views Edited Feb 5, 2006
I was bored yesterday so I started to play Final Fantasy VII and I began to wonder, what evil really is. There is always two sides to an RPG or any kind of game or movie for that matter. There is always a Good side and an Evil side, but are they really evil or good? To the opposing team it would seem that they are evil, but are they? Take for example, Sephiroth. He wants to give the planet back to the Cetra, he thinks that it's a good idea, he thinks he's doing the right thing. He thinks he's the good guy and Cloud's the "Evil one", if you catch my drift... I don't really think that there is true evil. I think that "evil" is purely based on opinion. I think that "Evil" is what we make of it. What do you guys think?
Original PSP- Sold 11/17/2007
PSP 3000 Series Ratchet and Clank Bundle Purchased- 12/26/2008
Renewed Faith in the Playstation Portable
Message 1 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/25/2005
Offline
1831 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 5, 2006


Ragnarok_FFVII wrote:
I was bored yesterday so I started to play Final Fantasy VII and I began to wonder, what evil really is. There is always two sides to an RPG or any kind of game or movie for that matter. There is always a Good side and an Evil side, but are they really evil or good? To the opposing team it would seem that they are evil, but are they? Take for example, Sephiroth. He wants to give the planet back to the Cetra, he thinks that it's a good idea, he thinks he's doing the right thing. He thinks he's the good guy and Cloud's the "Evil one", if you catch my drift... I don't really think that there is true evil. I think that "evil" is purely based on opinion. I think that "Evil" is what we make of it. What do you guys think?



ive thought about it myself.... and i agree with you. ive heard people say they wanted a game where you are an evil person..... but maybe in some games you are evil, but with the view rpg's give you, it seems like you are the good guy (hero).

who knows, maybe cloud is evil lol. he was in a rebel group (avalanche)

zidane was with tantalus and tried to kidnap garnet.....

 

Message 2 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2004
Offline
4200 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 5, 2006
This get's into what I call "Relativism".  The "What's right for you may not be right for me" belief. 

That truly can only go so far unchecked.  Think about it for a minute.  There are things inherent in our being that tell us certain things that are "right" or "wrong".  If that balance were not there, you'd have murderers going around saying, "What's right for you is not right for me.  I murder because that's what I believe in.  It's your opinion against mine."  Our nature and everything about us tells us that murder and a host of other things are wrong.  (Notice I said "murder", not killing.  There is a difference).

I could go on and on and list several of what we call "crimes".  But I think this illustration goes a good way to show where I'm coming from.  I do agree however, that circumstance CAN play a role in determining whether an act is absolutely wrong or not. 

Anyway, just my two cents. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 3 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 11/04/2004
Offline
19284 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 5, 2006
 
 
Terrorists think that by going into civilian places and blowing it up they are doing good thing. Do you see it that way? That is how I differentiate between good and evil. You may want peace, but the way you obtain doesn't make you a good person. In order for Sephiroth to give the planet back to "his" kind, he would have to kill every living being on that planet. Does mass murder make him a good guy, even if his intentions are good? This goes for a lot of games. The bad guy might not necessarily be a bad person, but the way he goes about obtaining his goal(s) makes him that way.
 
SPOILERS

 
 
 
 
 
Besides, Sephiroth is evil. No good person can stick a 5-7 ft. sword into the back of a helpless girl.
 
Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Message 4 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/13/2004
Offline
1145 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 6, 2006


Ragnarok_FFVII wrote:
I was bored yesterday so I started to play Final Fantasy VII and I began to wonder, what evil really is. There is always two sides to an RPG or any kind of game or movie for that matter. There is always a Good side and an Evil side, but are they really evil or good? To the opposing team it would seem that they are evil, but are they? Take for example, Sephiroth. He wants to give the planet back to the Cetra, he thinks that it's a good idea, he thinks he's doing the right thing. He thinks he's the good guy and Cloud's the "Evil one", if you catch my drift... I don't really think that there is true evil. I think that "evil" is purely based on opinion. I think that "Evil" is what we make of it. What do you guys think?


I agree evil is what we make of it. 
Square, Sony, Apple ALL MINE!
Message 5 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/13/2004
Offline
1145 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 6, 2006


Blaq wrote:
This get's into what I call "Relativism".  The "What's right for you may not be right for me" belief. 

That truly can only go so far unchecked.  Think about it for a minute.  There are things inherent in our being that tell us certain things that are "right" or "wrong".  If that balance were not there, you'd have murderers going around saying, "What's right for you is not right for me.  I murder because that's what I believe in.  It's your opinion against mine."  Our nature and everything about us tells us that murder and a host of other things are wrong.  (Notice I said "murder", not killing.  There is a difference).

I could go on and on and list several of what we call "crimes".  But I think this illustration goes a good way to show where I'm coming from.  I do agree however, that circumstance CAN play a role in determining whether an act is absolutely wrong or not. 

Anyway, just my two cents. 


Well when  going into crimes our soceity tells us drugs are bad (i guess some would say evil) but in my veiw there is nothing wrong with drugs.  My point is a lot of other things that are very controversial is a person by person bases of what is "evil". 
Square, Sony, Apple ALL MINE!
Message 6 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/08/2005
Offline
3622 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 6, 2006
to me good and evil are just point of views...
Message 7 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2004
Offline
4200 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 6, 2006


vardgesissquall wrote:


Blaq wrote:
This get's into what I call "Relativism".  The "What's right for you may not be right for me" belief. 

That truly can only go so far unchecked.  Think about it for a minute.  There are things inherent in our being that tell us certain things that are "right" or "wrong".  If that balance were not there, you'd have murderers going around saying, "What's right for you is not right for me.  I murder because that's what I believe in.  It's your opinion against mine."  Our nature and everything about us tells us that murder and a host of other things are wrong.  (Notice I said "murder", not killing.  There is a difference).

I could go on and on and list several of what we call "crimes".  But I think this illustration goes a good way to show where I'm coming from.  I do agree however, that circumstance CAN play a role in determining whether an act is absolutely wrong or not. 

Anyway, just my two cents. 


Well when  going into crimes our soceity tells us drugs are bad (i guess some would say evil) but in my veiw there is nothing wrong with drugs.  My point is a lot of other things that are very controversial is a person by person bases of what is "evil". 


Yeah, I don't mean "crimes" that our society deems "crimes".  I'm talking about acts that are obviously wrong like murdering people.  We could easily "rationalize" acts and justify acts all day, but when it all boils down, there are things that are wrong. 

Based on all the logic that has been shared here and the fact that so many think "evil" is based on point of view, tell me this:  When would rape be right???  How could it ever be justified???  Regardless of anyone's point of view, you would never convince me that rape is not an "evil" act. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 8 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/19/2004
Offline
672 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 6, 2006


Kos-Mos Is MY-Girl wrote:
to me good and evil are just point of views...

exactly. that is the closest thing to the truth. Good and evil dont exist its a clashing of diffrent ideals.
Message 9 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 02/04/2006
Offline
55 posts
 

Re: What is "Evil"?

Feb 6, 2006
I didn't see why this thread is still in the RPG section. We're discussing good and evil instead of Final Fantasy 7, the reason I say this is because you put Final Fantasy 7 as an example only. To put it simply, my definition of good and evil came from my religion. As in RPGs, it doesn't matter to me the meaning of good and evil, I'll just finish the game anyway. My advice, don't let these "philosophycal" debates in RPGs confuse your mind to the state of insanity.
Message 10 of 15 (1 View)
Reply
0 Likes