Lombax Warrior
253 posts

Re: Western Rpgs are better than Japanese ones

Sep 25, 2008
Well as of late WRPGS might be doing better but the only JRPGS we have seen have not been on our system an most are mediocre. TOV which would be the only good one from what I've heard an yes I can say that admins or moderators its been stated that it is coming to the ps3 FYI. Yet dispite that it will come to us a year later maybe an by then no one will want it but hardcore fans an personally although a fan of JRPGS I never liked the tales series. So I guess I really don't care about the current Gen RPGS that are out now an I didn't like Oblivion so I'm not sure why I pre ordered Fallout 3. At most I'm hoping we still get SO4 an that The Last Remenant isn't released beyond the year. As for WKC thats sitting somewhere in mid nex year and The Last Remenant was my greatest hope for my starving rpg appetite this year an then we all know what happend with that allegedly. Yet even with all that still to this day nothing has even come close to Xenogears best rpg ever, Suikoden II and Fianl Fantasy VIII IMO an to be honest thats pretty sad since its been so long since they have come out an still no contenders. The closest Square had gotten for me was Xenosaga III considering how close it was to Xenogears I could feel that special something coming back whatever it may be but sadly that was short lived as they currently can't make another. An one last thing, its funny how one of the biggest things going around right now is the phrase its a great time to be a gamer heh sadly not for an rpg fan thats used to an expects the best.
Message 11 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1963 posts

Sep 26, 2008
So my question is, is the Wild ARMS series supposed to be a JRPG or Western RPG?   Smiley Tongue
Message 12 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Sep 26, 2008

Hobbun wrote:
So my question is, is the Wild ARMS series supposed to be a JRPG or Western RPG?   Smiley Tongue

It was produced by Sony if I recall. It's JRPG. There are no WRPG elements to it from what I've seen.

Message 13 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1963 posts

Sep 26, 2008

Papawarlock wrote:

Hobbun wrote:

It was produced by Sony if I recall. It's JRPG. There are no WRPG elements to it from what I've seen.

I know Papa, I was kidding. 

You know, guns, the old west.  Ah well, never mind.     

Message 14 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4642 posts

Sep 26, 2008

I'd rather follow a story than make one up as I go. Give me a plot and not just a bunch of random s--- that happens.

Not that I don't enjoy WRPGs, I do (some) and I'm really looking forward to Fallout 3. However I'd much prefer to have a long epic linear story than no almost no story at all. Not only are most WRPGs lacking in cohesive story/plot but they also lack characters. I love having a ensemble cast of characters that go on an adventure than just one random guy who I feel no connection to.

I created my character in Oblivion, customized his appearance and put a lot into developing his abilities, but I have no affection for him whatsoever. I don't think of him when I think of the game. He never speaks. I never see him except on the menu screen. I don't even remember his name because none of the NPCs ever use it. I realize this is supposed to make the game more immersive, my character IS ME, but I don't feel that. It makes me feel detached from the game, it makes it LESS immersive for me. This goes for all game types, no just RPGs. It's a big reason I dislike most FPSes.

EDIT:

Another thing: I love turn-based combat. The only WRPGs I've played that actually get this right are Fallout 1 and 2 and Anachronox. Everything else is just button mashing. And no one, not even japanese developers, have made a button mashing action RPG combat system that I actually like. They're always too simple. If a game had combo based combat, like DMC or GoW, I'd like it. But no one does that. 

Message Edited by BraveSirRobin42 on 09-25-2008 06:11 PM

Message 15 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2939 posts

Sep 26, 2008

BigMoney wrote:
I've been playing a bit of Japanese rpgs lately and I realized this. Western Rpgs typically have far more depth than Japanese Rpgs and far more customization. Jrpgs are also far more linear and the gameplay just get's so repetitive and tedious, the gameplay usually starts out fun for me but just get's repetitive and boring after awhile. Jrpgs usually have a good story but if I want a good story then I'll read a book, watch a movie or some television show.

well thats your opinion. to me jrpgs are way better. wrpgs are boring and repetitive. i don't care for games with weak storylines or very short stoy lines. if the rpg gives me 30hrs+ thats fine with me. i don't care much for side quests. i play rpgs for the story and imo jrpgs have better ones. if you don't like storys in your game then go play something else.
Message 16 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
659 posts

Sep 26, 2008
more in depth than jrpgs?? I want you to find me a more in depth and far meaningful story than that of xenogears in ANY western rpg, and if you dont know what xenogears is then your opinion doesnt matter anyways.
I am Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end. The First and the Last
Message 17 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
272 posts

Sep 26, 2008

xenogamer wrote:
more in depth than jrpgs?? I want you to find me a more in depth and far meaningful story than that of xenogears in ANY western rpg, and if you dont know what xenogears is then your opinion doesnt matter anyways.

Xenogears was a great games, one of my favorite RPG's.  But  show me a JRPG in the past five years that even gets close to touching it, your not going to.  To be honest I think Japan is getting lazy with their games and have lost scope of what makes a RPG a classic, replayable, or challenging.  They have dumbed down their standards to where WRPG's were and that makes the whole RPG scene alot less desirable as a whole for me.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 18 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1072 posts

Sep 26, 2008

I like playing Japanese RPGs and much of my video game collection consists of such games. Aside from FATE, I don't have much incentive to play a lot of western RPGs despite there being some good ones on the market. Admittedly, I find the Diablo series and World of Warcraft intriguing, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing any of those games. To me, it's all a matter of personal preference, nothing more.

Message 19 of 20 (12 Views)
Wastelander
718 posts

Sep 27, 2008
Japanese action in general seems to rely on a single image that LOOKS to be in motion.  Mainly through expression.  This can get old after a while.  Western games seem to rely on expression through motion as a way to make the player feel excited.  Which, in my opinion is more reliable and more rewarding when experienced in repetition.  I prefer motion. 
Photobucket

Message 20 of 20 (12 Views)
0 Likes