Feb 16 2010
By: Drezee1 Survivor 2971 posts

WKC not living up to my expectation :-(

26 replies 10 views Edited Feb 16, 2010
I somewhat like White Knight, but it reminds me too much of Rogue Galaxy and I didn't enjoy that game too much The characters whine exactly like the character in Rogue Galaxy when you are item and gold mining. I hated it then because it got annoying and I hate it now. I hate the fact that you always have to run here and there(All RPG's now seem to think we want to go on a Lord of the Rings quest and run everywhere) what happened to the airship just to fly around and pick my destination instead of running from place to place. I guess I had my hopes up to high and assumed this game would make me forget about playing rpg's like Xenogears, FF VIII and such. After I finish the Story Mode I may not play it again.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2551 posts

Re: WKC not living up to my expectation :-(

Feb 16, 2010

I'm sorry if I don't sympathise with you ,...because we are all in the same boat. But you make a statement w/o information about how you came to this conclusion based on whats availible on the ps3 right now. Granted it's not a classic,..but it's maybe the 3rd serious jrpg out since 2007. So based on whats availible and the fact that it's the first on a slate that is sure to be an rpg fan's dream,..I think it's a good start. Stop expecting the world and you might be pleasantly surprised. Oh and by the way,..the description of WKC that you gave can be applied to 70 percent of the rpg's ever made. Pick you're genre carefully and you won't be dissapointed.

I like it a lot. 7.5

But Star Ocean is winning me over right now. 8.5

To each their own. FF here we come!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Feb 16, 2010

I have actually been pleasantly surprised by WKC.   The relatively low reviews of a couple different sites had me leary, but when two of my friends bought it I just couldn't resist!   I would have added more multiplayer co-op (like the entire single player experience available in co-op), but so far its been real fun. 

FFXIII, however, has us much less excited since it has no multiplayer at all.  Final Fantasy and other JRPGs were great for their time, but its 2010, people.    We all have broadband internet consoles these days.  Where the heck is more co-op in RPGs?   With the party make-up, RPGs are naturals for co-op play.  But developers are cranking out single player games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc.  I just don't get it.

Borderlands is my first platinum trophy, and is my favorite PS3 game to date, almost entirely due to its excellent co-op play.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2134 posts

Feb 16, 2010

Sanador62 wrote:

I have actually been pleasantly surprised by WKC.   The relatively low reviews of a couple different sites had me leary, but when two of my friends bought it I just couldn't resist!   I would have added more multiplayer co-op (like the entire single player experience available in co-op), but so far its been real fun. 

FFXIII, however, has us much less excited since it has no multiplayer at all.  Final Fantasy and other JRPGs were great for their time, but its 2010, people.    We all have broadband internet consoles these days.  Where the heck is more co-op in RPGs?   With the party make-up, RPGs are naturals for co-op play.  But developers are cranking out single player games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc.  I just don't get it.

Borderlands is my first platinum trophy, and is my favorite PS3 game to date, almost entirely due to its excellent co-op play.

This is so true. I understand many people hate co-op based games but I can't get enough of them. When I got Uncharted 2 it was more like a steal than a purchase. Competitive, Co-op, AND a great story? It's one of those must have games. And with the MMO thing being so big I'd assume more people would make their RPGs to reflect that. When it comes down to it I get games with multiplayer and replayability like WKC. That way I know I'm getting my money's worth.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Feb 16, 2010

I for one have really enjoyed WKC. The story was fun and kept me mostly entertained and before i knew it I logged 40 hours on the game. I enjoy the online aspect but it seems like it would get quite boring after your done chasing all those fancy armors you want. the game reminds me alot of FFXI

Pros - Fun game, beautiful graphics,Co-op, town building, Giant robots!

Cons - Sometimes It seems the game was a little rushed. No lip synching. Small selection of cloaks/capes, **bleep** is with all the glasses/monocles, Same monsters everywhere. 90% of ythe game ur fighting vespids, I dont understand the dance scene at all. How did he dance with a hologram ontop of water. Also I'am having a bit of a lag/freeze issue in regular play. I'll be running thru a town or field and the game will start to freeze up and then run normally. Ive read that other people are having the same issue and that its due to some software glitch on some of the discs.

johnma
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Feb 16, 2010

actually I read a lot of negative stuff about WKC online and in magazines before I got my copy on day one... I think it was for the better because it made it sound kinda bad and it ended up really good IMO... I never have "expectations" of a game... I just play it and don't care what others think about it... It turns out that I love the game... Im glad I don't base my gaming on what others think...

I beat WKC for the first time last night... man what a cliffhanger at the end!

Right now Im on NG+ and I ran through about 5 maps in only 30 min because I was just trying to re-unlock all of the sub-quests... gonna have to go back and grab all of the chests...

Wynter NG+

Level: 38

GR: 4

Town Level: 4

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3638 posts

Feb 17, 2010

Drezee1 wrote:
I somewhat like White Knight, but it reminds me too much of Rogue Galaxy and I didn't enjoy that game too much The characters whine exactly like the character in Rogue Galaxy when you are item and gold mining. I hated it then because it got annoying and I hate it now. I hate the fact that you always have to run here and there(All RPG's now seem to think we want to go on a Lord of the Rings quest and run everywhere) what happened to the airship just to fly around and pick my destination instead of running from place to place.I guess I had my hopes up to high and assumed this game would make me forget about playing rpg's like Xenogears, FF VIII and such. After I finish the Story Mode I may not play it again.

Are you kidding me?

First of all, what is an RPG without an epic journey? Seriously? We're playing an RPG, not an FPS here.

Secondly, every Logic Stone gives access to the World Map, and when on the World Map you can go to ANY location, not just the areas adjacent to where you are.

How much more lazy can you be?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (10 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1323 posts

Feb 17, 2010

I am really loving this game, I'm at level 30 with 21+ hours played and been loving every single minute of it, the story, the graphics, and also the gameplay are great.

Don't know how far into the story I'm at, but right now (I'm in the back of the giant gas worm-like creature) but I am going to take my time and enjoy every second of this great game, and then going for FF XIII next, then Resonance of Fate, and maybe Star Ocean (even though I have a copy for the 360 I haven't played yet)

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2939 posts

Feb 17, 2010

KENPACHI_ZARAKI wrote:

I am really loving this game, I'm at level 30 with 21+ hours played and been loving every single minute of it, the story, the graphics, and also the gameplay are great.

Don't know how far into the story I'm at, but right now (I'm in the back of the giant gas worm-like creature) but I am going to take my time and enjoy every second of this great game, and then going for FF XIII next, then Resonance of Fate, and maybe Star Ocean (even though I have a copy for the 360 I haven't played yet)

sell it back to gamestop the so4 you will get like 13 bucks to get off the ps3 ver. trust me. get rid of that version. no disc swapping, no compressed graphics, no controller lag (there is huge controller lag in it and it really hurts the gameplay since its a realtime action).

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2939 posts

Feb 17, 2010

poisonedsodapop wrote:

Sanador62 wrote:

This is so true. I understand many people hate co-op based games but I can't get enough of them. When I got Uncharted 2 it was more like a steal than a purchase. Competitive, Co-op, AND a great story? It's one of those must have games. And with the MMO thing being so big I'd assume more people would make their RPGs to reflect that. When it comes down to it I get games with multiplayer and replayability like WKC. That way I know I'm getting my money's worth.

tried its online mission once. and i did not like it. no game is instantly better with online get over that notation. all rpgs don't need a form of online or co-op. co-op felt really uncomfortable to me and is so far the biggest downfall of wkc for me since i don't want to really participate in it but i do want to get my town lvled up some more or wear certain armor and that a gr rating is in its equation fprcing me to do this.

if an rpg sucks then adding co-op will not make a crappy game better. a good rpg can benifit with more replay but with out it doesn't make a good rpg crap. this and trophies are the stupidest things about this generation. and know that stupidest is not a word.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (10 Views)
0 Likes