Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 19 2010
By: NoxStella Hekseville Citizen 366 posts

Tired of hearing people whinning about jRPGs?

40 replies 29 views Edited Jan 19, 2010

Here's an article about wRPGs on the Eastern Perspective.

I've been stating this for years but it finally took IGN to have the guys over at 2ch BBS, which is considered by many to be akin to the North American based NeoGAF, to respond to the critisisms of RPGs (role playing game) that originate from Japan (Final Fantasy) and South Korea (Magna Carta). Ironically it was IGN Xbox 360 that stated this via the article titled Top Ten Ways To Fix JRPGs. Why again does Square Enix and Namco Bandai Games try to appeal to that platform's base again? You didn't hear this talk when Sony was letting everyone know what the business was for two generations (the 5th and 6th to be exact) nor when everyone respected Nintendo's conglomerate (3rd and 4th). Via AltJapan, they have translated some of the comments on 2ch. Here are the excerpts listed below. Keep in mind that since the comments originated in Japanese, verbs get lost in translation like a lot cultures do here in the United States. As always leave a comment.

1. What!? Fallout is the SAME THING! You fight the same enemies, collect the same items... There's no sense of exploring unknown territory or anything. No matter how much freedom the player has, that's all there is."

2. "Oblivion and Fallout fanatics are exponentially more annoying than any Final Fantasy fanatic."

3. "Hey foreigners: we find your first-person shooters boring as ****. What do you say to that?"

4. "When I see all the 'sniping' and corpse-desecrating 'teabagging' going on in US games, the thought of what what foreigners do when they get mad freaks me out."

5. "I'm sorry, but the battle systems in foreign games are totally boring."

6. "Yeah, like Oblivion's. But I guess it isn't the main focus of that game."

7. "Japanese RPGs are created for the express purpose of letting one experience the blooming of their full powers from a total zero starting point. They're necessary for keeping public order in Japan."

8. "Okay, so give us some foreign RPGs that are more interesting than Japanese ones. I just don't find foreign RPGs interesting at all."

9. "Oblivion's okay, but foreign games lack subtlety. They lack detail, and the character design and stories are bad."

10. "Americans can't understand complexity so a lot of the best stuff doesn't get translated. Like Megami Tensei!"

11. "That bit about "The Road Less Travelled?" #7? That's a common complaint... of inexperienced gamers. Like, I felt that way when I was in grade school."

12. "So sorry, but I LIKE Japanese-style RPGs."

13. "The real problem with Japanese RPGs is that the storylines aren't written by pros, only gamers."

14. "Oblivion didn't fare that well here, and Japanese don't really get into real-time strategy games."

15. "I call 'cultural differences'!"

16. "Show me an American-made RPG that satisfactorily addresses all of these complaints."

17. "Do foreign companies even make RPGs anymore? The only games that come to mind are first-person shooter action games. If we followed this 'advice' to the letter they'd have us making Grand Theft Auto clones."

http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=14123 

===============================================================
RPG Gamers who Bought a PS3 on its launch aren't the CORE gamers
RPG Gamers who are waiting patiently for Sony aren't the CORE gamers
RPG Gamers who refuses to buy another console for RPGs aren't the CORE gamers
Who or what are Sony's CORE gamers exactly?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 41 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Re: Tired of hearing people whinning about jRPGs?

Jan 19, 2010
While I see alot of the criticism a bit harsh, I will agree, that I find most WRPGs pretty boring too. DS was a WstyleRPG, but that was pretty good. Diablo was good. Outside of those, nothing has interested me. I do also agree that FPS games are boring, but this is just me. Seems like the same games over and over again. Run, shoot, take cover, see hands reload a weapon......I understand some of them, bot alot are still pretty harsh.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 41 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5388 posts

Jan 19, 2010
#7 is full of win.
Christina Lee photo Christinalee_zpsa4a832cb.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 41 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
182 posts

Jan 19, 2010
I have to agree with some of it. A lot of western RPGs aren't really story intense. Star Wars KOTOR might be an arguement against it, but for the most part it's true. And as much as I LOVE Fallout (1 & 2, 3 can go to hell), they really weren't all that story heavy. I've always loved JRPGs because they do put so much into it and make them some really interesting games to play. However, it's like criticizing a pastry chef for not being good at making, I dunno, good steaks or something. The Western game companys seem to focus more on the action/shooter genre, while the Japanese are more focused on the RPGs.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 41 (29 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Jan 19, 2010

It's really all about preference, and I don't think either style of rpgs should change.  Some people like jrpgs, and some people like wrpgs.  It sounded like the author of that other article wanted jrpgs to become wrpgs.  In which case I think he should just play wrpgs.  And the truth is that wrpgs have their flaws too.  So to say either type will appeal to absolutely everyone would be to lie.  I personally like both, but I think that anyone who dislikes one type should just avoid it, and that making it like the other would defeat the purpose of it existing in the first place.

Message Edited by tross88 on 01-18-2010 11:16 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 41 (29 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
237 posts

Jan 19, 2010

FINALLY, I've been waiting for something like this to happen!

+100 Respect to 2ch

I really am sick of all the hate Jrpg's Get in modern times from the west.

It really is all about preference but 2ch Makes just as an equally valid point of WRPG's!

"

As for the RPGs, such as turnbased, action, strategy, and all that.... well, this world would be full of even more stupid people in my honest opinion. RPGs, in *not all* most cases give story to the player, or strategically challenge the mind through SRPGs, or Puzzle dungeons. If you think about it, RPGs are sort of like a visual, and audio story, where the person playing it is involved to challenge their brain, and read a book with all the scenes drawn out on TV for them. I really do think a lack of RPGs would dumb down people, because I do believe the presence of the genre does help the mind."
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 41 (29 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jan 19, 2010
i find this funny when you really think about it, there only two games they mention are fallout and oblivion. much like many of the hard core JRPG fans here. play dragons age the withcer neverwinter nights baludars gate 1 2 and KOTOR they are all heavly story driving and very very good. and combat varies from WRPG to WRPG. and truth be told lots of complants ppl have with the stories of JRPGs are that they dont really fit in line with alot of what the west considers to be entertaing. we dont like our heroes to be femanie, we praise people that break the archtype of what things should be. i always find all JRPGs to be the same more or less settings different, but all the hereos are the same, there supporting cast is the same, villien is the same, and at the end of the day everyone goes home happy and the the hero gets the main female lead in the party.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 41 (29 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8406 posts

Jan 19, 2010

haha nah, any activity is better than no activity.

NoxStella wrote:

15. "I call 'cultural differences'!"

I don't think 15 fits in either piece; it makes sense! Seriously, I think this is starting to go beyond just video games. It's like they're attacking each other on culture. Why can't we have both? If you like Western RPGs, great; if you like Japanese RPGs, great; if you like both, even better! "Fix" isn't the right word to use here (when looking at the big picture). I don't doubt that both sides could stand to learn from each other, no video game is perfect; so there's always room for improvement, but I don't consider "make your games like we do" improvement.

So, all in all, I still think this whole affair is a bunch of baloney.

However, I do still think both sides should keep an open mind...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 41 (29 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jan 19, 2010

Vaugh wrote:

FINALLY, I've been waiting for something like this to happen!

+100 Respect to 2ch

I really am sick of all the hate Jrpg's Get in modern times from the west.

It really is all about preference but 2ch Makes just as an equally valid point of WRPG's!

That's odd because on this particular forum Western RPGs get plenty of hate. I get really tired of all the hate period. Both styles are enjoyable and for those whose preference runs to one extreme or the other really need learn how to respect the other side. Period.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 41 (29 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jan 19, 2010

1. What!? Fallout is the SAME THING! You fight the same enemies, collect the same items... There's no sense of exploring unknown territory or anything. No matter how much freedom the player has, that's all there is." There is plenty of exploration in Western RPGs. But if one closes one's mind, you miss everything beyond the narrow scope of your focus.

2. "Oblivion and Fallout fanatics are exponentially more annoying than any Final Fantasy fanatic." A fanatic is a fanatic. They are all equally annoying. The only ones not bothered by fanaticism and zealotry are those who agree with the initial thought.

3. "Hey foreigners: we find your first-person shooters boring as ****. What do you say to that?" If one's mind is closed, one can not learn something new. Everything is boring to someone.

4. "When I see all the 'sniping' and corpse-desecrating 'teabagging' going on in US games, the thought of what what foreigners do when they get mad freaks me out." Yeah ok. Let's accuse the whole of the annoyances of a few. Bigotry is more annoying than fanaticism.

5. "I'm sorry, but the battle systems in foreign games are totally boring." Obviously never played Baldur's Gate.

6. "Yeah, like Oblivion's. But I guess it isn't the main focus of that game." No combat wasn't the main focus of Oblivion. It was exploration. At least for me. But the combat system in Oblivion didn't bother me at all.

7. "Japanese RPGs are created for the express purpose of letting one experience the blooming of their full powers from a total zero starting point. They're necessary for keeping public order in Japan." That's pretty hysterical actually. I haven't played a single Western RPG that starts you off as a God. Heck even Action/Adventure games start you off weak. Only FPS stay level on the 'powers' front. Every RPG I've ever played allowed you to experience the growth of your powers. JRPGs tend to be narrowly focused on growth. Western RPGs are broader but still narrow once you get down to it.

8. "Okay, so give us some foreign RPGs that are more interesting than Japanese ones. I just don't find foreign RPGs interesting at all." Baldur's Gate (PC), Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn, Dragon Age. However, as with anything else in life, it's all a matter of preference. People need to get over the arrogance of righteousness. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's.

9. "Oblivion's okay, but foreign games lack subtlety. They lack detail, and the character design and stories are bad." See #8's response.

10. "Americans can't understand complexity so a lot of the best stuff doesn't get translated. Like Megami Tensei!" Ahhh arrogance. I despise arrogance. Complete and total bigotry. Americans understand complexity quite well.

11. "That bit about "The Road Less Travelled?" #7? That's a common complaint... of inexperienced gamers. Like, I felt that way when I was in grade school." /sigh/ I'm not even going to bother.

12. "So sorry, but I LIKE Japanese-style RPGs." So do a lot of Westerners.

13. "The real problem with Japanese RPGs is that the storylines aren't written by pros, only gamers." So Western developers don't play video games? Bull.

15. "I call 'cultural differences'!" Duh! But cultural differences make things more interesting. Problem is most Japanese developers don't care to give Western audiences a chance to enjoy their products.

16. "Show me an American-made RPG that satisfactorily addresses all of these complaints." When someone has their mind made up, facts can not change it. If you can not or will not open your mind to a different experience, then you only deprive yourself of what could be a great experience. When someone says "Prove it", it means don't bother because you won't be able to do so. I've named some great WRPGs already, but again it's matter of preference.

17. "Do foreign companies even make RPGs anymore? The only games that come to mind are first-person shooter action games. If we followed this 'advice' to the letter they'd have us making Grand Theft Auto clones." BioWare does. Sony Computer Entertainment Online did.

I really get tired of all this East versus West crap. If you don't like one style or the other fine. Say so and move on. Quit bashing each other. It doesn't help anyone's stance. Both have something to offer, if only one opened their minds.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths and silent keyboards.

Message Edited by PapaWarlock on 01-19-2010 07:26 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 41 (29 Views)