Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 12 2008
By: EkuquoL Uncharted Territory 1781 posts

Tips and Tricks for Fallout 3

23 replies 1147 views Edited Nov 12, 2008

KeyBoard-Monkey

Yet another Fallout 3 tips an tricks thread.. edited..

Did you know there is more then 20 levels?.. i am on my 20th level and yet i am still gaining points to level 21....

unfortunatley i was wrong your perks ends at level 20 but you still have the ability to gain skill points but you can no

longer attribute any level perks to your character.. 

Terminal tips..

When you access a Terminal in attempt to hack it i've noticed several strategies to it

--Word similarities aka synonyms, words that relate to a word you have chosen will sometimes work

---word usage, nouns, verbs, ad-verbs, things, actions, pro-actions will sometimes work

I believe as you skill up it becomes easier(some how), but there is a pattern to it as you stay on one skill..

Each XP status has its own on doings, but some of thoses examples have worked greatly..

Example of the word patterns in The Terminals..

halt:, stop , conclude, irrupt, yield,

Engage: owner, enter, execute, intercept

Each Terminal skill level(Easy, Average, Hard) has a different structure of word usage.

Lock-picking tips...

Lock picking involves having bobby pins and applying torque

-you turn both separately!! (one at a time)

-- turn the torque slowly in the set area the bobby pin at

--- as soon as the bobby pin starts to jiggle RELEASE the torque

---- then turn the bobby pin again in the applied direction you had set..

You have to turn the bobby pin an the torque at separate times an always apply torque very slowly..

Once the bobby pin starts to jiggle, release the torque! the bobby pin is about to break an you need to turn the pin in a direction

You can also prevent from breaking bobby pins by exiting out of the lock-pick screen and then re-entering it..

Torque R3/ Screw driver- Always move this slowly it will also reset(stop turning) and go back to place, before the bobby pin stars to break

Lock Pick L3/ Bobby Pin- This is the difficult one you move this right and left, some locks have a right an left angle to reach..

You can also turn the Vibration on your controller but, it is more annoying then it is helpfull....

HOW DO I BUILD STUFF!?...

in order to construct anything you need schematics, you can find schematics anywhere..

most found are by traveling merchants, but you can also find some while scavenging threw buildings..

once you have found schematics you will be given a list of things you need to build that of what you are trying to construct

if its robots, food, chems, or even weapons..

You will also need to find a

---Workbench to build weapons

----a chemistry lab, for meds

----- a science lab to build robots..

in order to obtain that you have to either use a communities science lab weapon shop, or if you own a house you can buy thoes items there.

just like Oblivion to find a home to buy you need to talk to the community's mayor/law enforcement

THE GAME JUST FROZE!!!!...

did it?.. my theory is that the playstations' ram resources get misplaced with in game and system resources

by system activity..

-Turn off system notifications, Go to Settings, scroll down to System Settings, finally go to Notification Messages

then select Do Not Display (XMB still hasn't been updated yet because several system messages still pop up when they are

not supose to

-- Log out off the PSN network, the playstation Networks does idel checks to your connection, and what not

The automatic checking to make sure you stay online takes up resources, and can make data get misplaced in the RAM

of the Playstation3 so log out, and play this will free up any background process the playstation might be holding ram for..

Go to your Settings, Scroll down to Network Settings, and Disable your Internet Connection

or just unplug your PS3's internet cable ?..

--- Turn off any power settings you might also be having i have had my Controller just shut of random like

IF IT FREEZES HOLD THE PS BUTTON ON THE CONTROLER DOWN TILL THE XMB MENU POPS UP..

That seems to have worked for me many many times

- You can also try turning off the music, dont need to turn the radio off but the music of the game

-- an you can also try turning off autosaving, or just save when you sleep.. 

Message Edited by KeyBoard-Monkey on 11-11-2008 11:39 PM
I'm on Twitter

Check it
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 24 (1,147 Views)
Sackboy
659 posts

Re: Tips and Tricks for Fallout 3

Nov 5, 2008
Great post, thanks for the tips.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1781 posts

Nov 5, 2008

picking randoms objects up

another thing many dont know about you press R3 to pick up items, and move them around

adjusting 3rd person view

you can also adjust the third person view zooming in and out/ rotating

--while holding L2 down move the R3 yoke up an down you can set how close or far the camera is on you..

KeyBoard-Monkey

Message Edited by KeyBoard-Monkey on 11-05-2008 01:08 AM
I'm on Twitter

Check it
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
132 posts

Nov 5, 2008
more tips on freezing. treat it like oblivion. sixaxis is a nono. use a DS3. another is dont rush around. new areas are being written. i experimented with this and found everytime i ran around fast it would freeze. just came off a 6 hour+ play with no freeze. go slow even stop and wait for the hd light to go out. use crouch everywhere. some of you will hate that.but it seems to work.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
681 posts

Nov 5, 2008

firebirds wrote:
more tips on freezing. treat it like oblivion. sixaxis is a nono. use a DS3. another is dont rush around. new areas are being written. i experimented with this and found everytime i ran around fast it would freeze. just came off a 6 hour+ play with no freeze. go slow even stop and wait for the hd light to go out. use crouch everywhere. some of you will hate that.but it seems to work.

I run everywhere and have no problems...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Nov 5, 2008
Yeah. I never had any freeze ups. and the hacking has nothing to do with word similarities or verbs and stuff. You chose a word, it tells you how many letter are correct and in the right place. If the word you need is "BRAND" and you chose "BRAID" it would show 4/5. The trick is to chose 3 words, and if you don't get it log out by pressing the back button and try again. You will start over with new words though.
PSN ID: WCKD42 MGO ID: WCKD420 XBL ID: WCKD420
And with only 1 thumb.

My MGO ßeta CQC Guide!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
681 posts

Nov 5, 2008
i find the best tactic for hacking is to just guess lol
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Nov 5, 2008

There is a much easier way to hack with 100% or at least 99% success...

go throught the lines of code one letter thingie at  a time and when you come across pairs in the same line like this

(*&$%@#$)*&%$# then the () and in between lights up so you click it and it deletes it...it doesnt take in of your chances away but it also usually removes an extra word in addition..anytime to or mor items in a line of code other than a word light up you can delete them..

()  ""  <> etc...with or without items in between they will light up...usually its only one but when you find one of those 2 or more items light up...click it...I have been doing it and i almost 99% of the time always have 1 word left and thats the word i need...i have never lost at hacking since i learned that trick...

"You're not gonna like it...Jaufree doesn't like it...The Countess of Bruma certainly won't like it.."

"I said you're not gonna like it....."
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2220 posts

Nov 5, 2008
One tip I can think of is that every custom weapon has three schematics. ! can be found in the game world somewhere, 1 can be bought off a certain merchant, and 1 is a quest reward. The more schematic you have of the same weapon, the better the condition of that weapon will be when you build it. It goes something like this:

1 Schematic, Condition = 50% of your Repair skill.

2 Schematics, Condition = your Repair skill

3 Schmatics, Condition = 125% of your Repair skill. (Up to 100)

So when it comes to schematics, the more the merrier.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1480 posts

Nov 5, 2008

KeyBoard-Monkey wrote:

KeyBoard-Monkey

Yet another Fallout 3 tips an tricks thread... 

Terminal tips..

When you access a Terminal in attempt to hack it i've noticed several strategies to it

--Word simularities aka synonyms, words that relate to a word you have chosen will sometimes work

---word usage, nouns, verbs, ad-verbs, things, actions, proactions will sometimes work

I believe as you skill up it becomes easier(some how), but there is a pattern to it as you stay on one skill.. 

Each XP status has its own on doings, but some of thoses examples have worked greatly..

Things to note when hacking if you pick a word with 3/x that has ing in it there is a good chance that the answer has a ing in it as well, if you get 4/x and your word was tion there is a good chance the word will have a tion in it.  If you pick a word that his ing tion and you get 1/x then the correct word does not have that prefix, pick a different prefix.  On your last chance exit the termina it will reset the puzzle and your chances.

Lock-picking tips...

Lock picking involves having bobby pins and applying torque

-you turn both seperately!! (one at a time)

-- turn the torque slowly in the set area the bobby pin at

--- as soon as the bobby pin starts to jiggle RELEASE the torque 

---- then turn the bobby pin again in the applied direction you had set..

You have to turn the bobby pin an the torque at separate times an always apply torque very slowly..

Once the bobby pin starts to jiggle, release the torque! the bobby pin is about to break an you need to turn the pin in a direction

You can also prevent from breaking bobby pins by exiting out of the lock-pick screen and then re-entering it.. 

HOW DO I BUILD STUFF!?... 

in order to construct anything you need schematics, you can find schematics anywhere..

most found are by traveling merchants, but you can also find some while scavenging threw buildings..  

once you have found schematics you will be given a list of things you need to build that of what you are trying to construct

if its robots, food, chems, or even weapons..

--You will also need to find a

---Workbench to build weapons

----a chemistry lab, for meds

----- a science lab to build robots..

in order to obtain that you have to either use a communities science lab weapon shop, or if you own a house you can buy thoes items there.. 

just like Oblivion to find a home to buy you need to talk to the community's mayor/law enforcement

Not quite simply talking to associates can lead to a house, such as talking to mr burke in megaton and making the correct decisions will lead you to your own if you will house in tenpennys tower.

THE GAME JUST FROZE!!!!...?  

did it?.. my theory is that the playstations' ram resources get misplaced with in game and system resources

by system activity..

-Turn off system notifications, Go to Settings, scroll down to System Settings,  finally go to Notification Messages

then select Do Not Display 

-- Log out off the PSN network, the playstation Networks does idel checks to your connection, and what not

The automatic checking to make sure you stay online takes up resources, and can make data get misplaced in the RAM

of the Playstation3 so log out, and play this will free up any background process the playstation might be holding ram for.. 

Go to your Settings, Scroll down to Network Settings, and Disable your Internet Connection

or just unplug your PS3's internet cable ?..

Other then the psn sign in the only freeze like thing ive seen in near rocks I think theres a memory leak in them, so when that cell gets activated you have alot of overhead.   Other then that your making alot of assumptions removing background process is not as viable because that ram is always accounted for, the game cannot have that ram its stollen away.

Additions and comments in red.

But only for the weekend.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 24 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes