Feb 06 2006
By: banedraven~ Treasure Hunter 7811 posts

The Deepest Emotional Attachment You've Had While Playing An RPG

9 replies 2 views Edited Feb 6, 2006
  For me, it's three series of RPGs, all of which have my own personal feelings involved on several issues. One series, I'm sure you all could have guessed the first one.

I & II- The FFVII series, with all the prequels and sequels coming, it's sure to be one great, entire storyline. Zack is the man - The Xeno-Verse. Xenogears and Xenosaga create a overwhelming aspect of ideas, beliefs, and moral issues that astound me. Although with their faults, I've had enourmous attachment to them both.

III- Breath of Fire Series. Although Ryu/Nina have somewhat of a Link/Zelda complex, the games are solid with moral and belief standards that I can deal with. Especially the 2nd and 3rd games in the series...great last battles/bosses.

Also- FF:Tactics was one game with the same sense of storyline/gamplay/moral issues that I like in games.

What are some of your attachments.

Message Edited by banedraven on 02-06-200603:33 AM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 1 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5420 posts

Re: The Deepest Emotional Attachment You've Had While Playing An RPG

Feb 6, 2006

I agree with you on all accounts!  While I was never a fan of the Xeno series' gameplay, I did love the story, as well as FFT's (but I also loved FFT's gameplay)!  I like how strong the stories were and how you could relate them to modern life and human mentality!  Kinda like Neon Genesis Evangelion (gee, I hope WETA studios doesn't screw up the live-action movie they're making)....

But as for the topic, the deepest emotional attachment I have ever had with an RPG is definitely FFVII!  One word (or name, for that matter): Aeris!  This game also introduced me to the world of RPGs, and I'm very thankful for that!

Message 2 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 6, 2006

Aeris_Jayle wrote:

I agree with you on all accounts!  While I was never a fan of the Xeno series' gameplay, I did love the story, as well as FFT's (but I also loved FFT's gameplay)!  I like how strong the stories were and how you could relate them to modern life and human mentality!  Kinda like Neon Genesis Evangelion (gee, I hope WETA studios doesn't screw up the live-action movie they're making)....

But as for the topic, the deepest emotional attachment I have ever had with an RPG is definitely FFVII!  One word (or name, for that matter): Aeris!  This game also introduced me to the world of RPGs, and I'm very thankful for that!

Hey, don't you mean Aerith....

Yes, Aerith's sacrifice is something that moved almost all of us. If the original plans for her to be ressurected would have panned out, the game/moment would have not been the same. Yeah, that sacrifice ranks right up there with, no other than Zack, who also, died protecting his friend.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 3 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5420 posts

Feb 6, 2006

banedraven wrote:

Aeris_Jayle wrote:

Hey, don't you mean Aerith....

Yes, Aerith's sacrifice is something that moved almost all of us. If the original plans for her to be ressurected would have panned out, the game/moment would have not been the same. Yeah, that sacrifice ranks right up there with, no other than Zack, who also, died protecting his friend.

Yes, indeed!  I should have known you would say that, my friend! 

Anyways, yes, Zack indeed was the pivotal character of FFVII!  Without him.... well, the story would be totally different....

Message 4 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 6, 2006

Were we talking about RPGs or emotional attachment? If I duplicate the format of your post, it'll be this:

Tales of Destiny - No other RPG shows an extraordinary action random battle as this one. The skills are the most awesome. This is an RPG that provides me with a true adventure instead of chitter-chatter about the destruction of the world, stupid beliefs or petty moral issues. (I'm not saying all this without knowledge of other RPGs with action random battles.)

Message 5 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 6, 2006
My deepest emotional attachment in an RPG would be the FFX universe (FFX & FFX-2) because I was drawn in to its deep storyline and the characters with their different backgrounds and how they tied in to the story. 

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Message 6 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15169 posts

Feb 6, 2006
Earthbound - I played it back when I was in school, I was in like grade 6 or 7 when I played it. I loved every momment of it. The thing about this game is either you loved it or you hated it. Well I got really sad when I finished the game and heard in the end credits song "I'll miss you." Awesome game, other then that nope not really.
Message 7 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6314 posts

Feb 6, 2006

banedraven wrote:
  For me, it's three series of RPGs, all of which have my own personal feelings involved on several issues. One series, I'm sure you all could have guessed the first one.

I & II- The FFVII series, with all the prequels and sequels coming, it's sure to be one great, entire storyline. Zack is the man - The Xeno-Verse. Xenogears and Xenosaga create a overwhelming aspect of ideas, beliefs, and moral issues that astound me. Although with their faults, I've had enourmous attachment to them both.

III- Breath of Fire Series. Although Ryu/Nina have somewhat of a Link/Zelda complex, the games are solid with moral and belief standards that I can deal with. Especially the 2nd and 3rd games in the series...great last battles/bosses.

Also- FF:Tactics was one game with the same sense of storyline/gamplay/moral issues that I like in games.

I agree with the ones you mentioned but also Tales of Destiny 2, Chrono Trigger, and Xenosaga were also good.

Message Edited by Shadowmyst01 on 02-06-200612:36 PM

Message 8 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 6, 2006
Final Fantasy X, the story with Tidus and Yuna takes a while to pick up but when it does, you get attached to them quicker than two attracting magnets.
Message 9 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2080 posts

Feb 6, 2006
In Final Fantasy VIII, I felt a deep emotion for Rinoa at the end of Disc Two. I was hoping for Disc Three to be longer, just to see Rinoa.
In InuYasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask, you got to feel for your main character during the opening the poening anime scene.
Message 10 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes