Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3622 posts

Re: Tales of Legendia Initial Thoughts

Feb 10, 2006
I just got my copy. I really enjoy the game. I like the characters and the voice acting was better than I thought. I really like the battle system. Reminds me of Soul Calibur...and things like that.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Feb 10, 2006
based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I better pass on this one.  Thanks for all the input fellas. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 10, 2006

VII Says Goodbye wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

Weren't you playing, I don't know, like 5 million other RPGs???? lol

So far your thoughts are pretty much what I was expecting. So it's humorous eh, that is wonderful. I read dungeons are extremely maze-like and multiple paths that all lead to one another. Anything like that yet? How is it fighting with Senel? In games with a battle system like this I generally prefer a sword fighter to a fist fighter.

I can say that I have 5 million other RPGs to play, but truthfully, I hadn't played an RPG in about three weeks. This includes Wild ARMs 4, which still only has about one and a half hours put into it, but Legendia was what I wanted in an RPG right now: action, good flow of gameplay and story, and Kazuto Nishizawa character designs!

The only problems I'm coming across is the battle system isn't as varied as I felt Symphonia's was. Controlling Senel is pretty good. Chloe wields a sword and uses similar attacks to Lloyd, so I tried her out, but it's not the same without wielding two swords, so I just play as Senel.

His Eres (special!) attacks aren't anything special so far, the ones that incatacipate the enemies are rather pointless, since you can't take advantage of the situation to actually add more blows to them, not to mention it's a little too easy to cut past the enemy and go to their other side, especially while in the middle of fighting.

There haven't been any mazey dungeons yet, except one, which did have a couple of "circling paths," which just circle about four steps ahead of where you would've been if you would've kept going straight. The entire game so far has been dungeon to dungeon without any real NPC village interactions, but there haven't been any dungeons that felt like mazes, just a lot of dead ends and alternate (a.k.a. pointless) paths.

I *love* the Puzzle Boxes/Room/Areas, whatever they're called. I loved solving puzzles in Symphonia (except a couple of ones that were just plain tedious), but hated having to fight if I moved to another screen, but this one lets you solve puzzles in separate areas of the dungeon without having to fight at all. Plus, it appears you can let Will solve the puzzle for you if you get stuck, but I'm not at the point where I need to use it, so I'm not sure if that's what it does or not.

I'm not a huge fan of this game being random battle instead of enemy on the screen, but it actually mixes the two, by including blobs of...area that include "stronger" monsters, even though they're not that much stronger. I'm really enjoying myself with this game. I just wish the camera weren't fixed so far away from the player. The character game models are kind of lacking because of it, but it adds its own charm because of it.

Oh yeah, the chef Mimi is easier to find in this one, since all of her hiding spots, she kind of dances instead of previous games, where the chef was just out of place for the area. And you can't make your food right after battle in this one, you can only make them in bakeries, and I believe they're only bread based (I can only make toast, ham sandwiches, and...some other kind of bread).

It's definitely not as grand or ambitious as Symphonia, but it adds in all the stuff I like in Tales games, so I don't mind at all!

So then I passed you on Wild Arms 4, oh brother. lol I can't wait to play now, but my dear Grandia 3 will be coming out soon. Oh woe is me.... lol

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 10, 2006
I've recently got ahold of it......and I've enjoyed it so far. Only certain things could make me not like it at all like Religion or a weak storyline. I'll post my review of it when I'm finished with it...which should be before March 1st or 2nd. That's my timeline.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 11, 2006

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Seiken_Densetsu wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:
I read the review and saw screenshots for this on IGN.com. It looks pretty good and a nice colorful RPG as opposed to the more mainstream and "serious" ones I've witnessed in the last few years, I'd definitely buy it. However, I doubt Tales of Legendia will be released here...

What country do you live in?

I do not know what country, but I know he lives in Europe. I think I heard him say he lived in England once... though I'm not positive...

Yes, I live in England so the chances of this game coming to PAL regions are extremely slim, much like every other good RPG. It's a rarity and something to celebrate if an RPG DOES come out.

I'm surprised Dragon Quest VIII is being released here LOL but I'll definitely be getting that...
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 11, 2006

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Seiken_Densetsu wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:
I read the review and saw screenshots for this on IGN.com. It looks pretty good and a nice colorful RPG as opposed to the more mainstream and "serious" ones I've witnessed in the last few years, I'd definitely buy it. However, I doubt Tales of Legendia will be released here...

I do not know what country, but I know he lives in Europe. I think I heard him say he lived in England once... though I'm not positive...

Yes, I live in England so the chances of this game coming to PAL regions are extremely slim, much like every other good RPG. It's a rarity and something to celebrate if an RPG DOES come out.

I'm surprised Dragon Quest VIII is being released here LOL but I'll definitely be getting that...

I have no idea what I would do if I was you. I would not be able to bear it at all. I get steamed enough at the RPGs we don't get here in NA. so I can only imagine how it must be for you.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Feb 11, 2006

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Seiken_Densetsu wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

That's so odd seeing as how RPG's consist so much of castles, knights, swords, and magic- Given Englands history you'd think RPG's would be the rage over there.

Message Edited by Griever_08 on 02-11-200602:46 PM

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 12, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Seiken_Densetsu wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

I have no idea what I would do if I was you. I would not be able to bear it at all. I get steamed enough at the RPGs we don't get here in NA. so I can only imagine how it must be for you.

Same here.  Oh what I would give to live in Japan!!

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 12, 2006

Griever_08 wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Seiken_Densetsu wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

That's so odd seeing as how RPG's consist so much of castles, knights, swords, and magic- Given Englands history you'd think RPG's would be the rage over there.

Message Edited by Griever_08 on 02-11-200602:46 PM

England have the worst taste in games. Everyone opts for the mainstream crap which are clearly rubbish in comparison to the greater titles which gain less popularity. Games like God of War, We Love Katamari etc just weren't/aren't doing as well as they should because of crap like Harry Potter being up in the top spots. Resident Evil 4 is probably the most popular and best selling NON-mainstream game in the last half year I'd imagine...
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 29 (0 Views)
0 Likes