Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 06 2010
By: xCaptainCanadax Survivor 2575 posts

Star Ocean Battle System

9 replies 52 views Edited Feb 6, 2010
Hey guys i do like RPG's but have never played a Star Ocean game and i really want the on coming for ps3 soon can someone explain how the battle system in these games work for me?
Prime copy

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (52 Views)
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Re: Star Ocean Battle System

Feb 6, 2010

xCaptainCanadax wrote:
Hey guys i do like RPG's but have never played a Star Ocean game and i really want the on coming for ps3 soon can someone explain how the battle system in these games work for me?

i too would also like to know.. and do i ahve to play previous ones to understand this one or? is it like final fantasty?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (52 Views)
Survivor
2575 posts

Feb 6, 2010

RandomAzn- wrote:

xCaptainCanadax wrote:

i too would also like to know.. and do i ahve to play previous ones to understand this one or? is it like final fantasty?

i watched a review for the other version of this game and they say its a prequel
Prime copy

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (52 Views)
Survivor
2797 posts

Feb 6, 2010

Why not prod youtube for movies of battles?

But if you want to know what it is first-hand, you might as well just play it.

The battle system is very similar to recent tales of games in such: You move around with the stick, you mash a button to attack (including combos), and you use a button/combination of buttons to pull off a special move (IE: Square or Circle. Or L1/R1 in Star Ocean Second Story/Evolution.)

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Feb 6, 2010

I feel bad for those who haven't gotten to play Star Ocean 2. It's just an incredible experience.

Now that's a game worthy of PSN.

I have Tales of Symphonia and the first 2 (Pt.1 on PS1 and Pt. 2 on PSP), andi would say the battlefield isn't as "confined" as i felt it was with Tales of games.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2797 posts

Feb 6, 2010

thisranks wrote:

I feel bad for those who haven't gotten to play Star Ocean 2. It's just an incredible experience.

Now that's a game worthy of PSN.

I have Tales of Symphonia and the first 2 (Pt.1 on PS1 and Pt. 2 on PSP), andi would say the battlefield isn't as "confined" as i felt it was with Tales of games.

Tales of the Abyss makes it feel much less confined.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2575 posts

Feb 7, 2010
soooo no info on the battle system?
Prime copy

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3022 posts

Feb 7, 2010

xCaptainCanadax wrote:
soooo no info on the battle system?

They gave you info. I only played 3 but it worked like this. Square was light attack and triangle was heavy attack. Holding down the attack button caused you to use a special attack. Each attack button had to special attacks, one for close range and one for distance. Also some special attacks could only be assigned to light/heavy and short/long and then there were some it didn't matter. Any attack used up a bar called Fury. A 100% fury bar allowed you to block attacks. If you lose all your fury you can't attack and if your guard was broken from a heavy attack while at 100% fury you were temporarily disabled. Special attacks also used up your health when activating them. This was balanced by the fact that chaining battles together were your guard wasn't broken you could recieve bonus exp, money and health restoration. I hope this answers your question. No idea if it's the same in 4 though.

sackperson_cool Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2392 posts

Feb 7, 2010
Nobody will really know for sure until it comes out.  They say that the battle system is a little bit better and more refined than the Xbox 360 version which came out last year.  I have always liked the Star Ocean games.  If you have a PSP I'm sure that you could get the first game used pretty cheap and then you could see why the Star Ocean games are so awesome.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Feb 7, 2010
My favorite part of the battle system are the Blindside Maneuvers. Basically, you dodge an enemy attack, slip behind it, and then break open a can of whoopass on it. It is fun and keeps you on your toes as you look for an opening in the defense of your opponent. Trying out all of the different maneuvers on each character is really entertaining.
--------------------I'm in love with Kirie Kojima--------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (52 Views)