Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Re: Skyrim

Jul 2, 2012

Brozz65 wrote:

For less than the price of a "decent" gaming PC, you could own both a PS3 & a 360, and for the cost of a single MMO sub per month, you could have both PSN+ & XBL Gold.

Sounds like a plan to me.

That's true now, but then again the PS3 and 360 are going obsolete in 2013/2014. At which point you'll have to, yet again, buy a new console and they'll be double the cost of what they are now.

I don't really find gaming on a PC to be all that expensive. It can be at first, but the upkeep is not as bad as people make it out to be. Unless, and this is the big caveat, you buy from HP/Dell/etc instead of building your own. You pay a massive, massive premium to have them give you a ready built PC.

When the PS3 was new it was $600, and for that much you could easily make a gaming PC. A PC only has to be as good as the consoles to survive, since games are developed for consoles now as the larger market. The days of having to upgrade a PC yearly because developers keep pushing the envelope are gone. Even in the PC world more and more people switch over to gaming on laptops which are inferior in every way to a desktop in terms of performance. Yet they can still run all the latest games, because games are developed for 7 year old hardware.

PC's are just another way to play games, and often a heck of a lot cheaper in terms of software. A lot of the multiplatform games you can pick up on a steam sale for less than $10 while the retail counterparts are still $30+. As an example I bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 for $10 each and will get 3 for the same (Christmas sale probably). I got Borderlands GOTY edition which has all the DLC for $7.50. Portal 2 ... $10. Torchlight $2.50. The list goes on.

Consoles offer the security Papa Warlock mentioned, if you buy a game you know it will 'just work' with what you have. Unless it is a Bethesda game.

I own all three consoles, and honestly, there isn't any difference between a 360 and PS3 unless you are the ADD type and can't stand not being able to say the word 'first' with DLC. For RPGs there are no PS3 exclusives in my must have list, and the 360 only has one (Lost Odyssey). This generation has been crap for the traditional turn-based RPGs I enjoy.

Message 11 of 22 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Jul 2, 2012

Nice post Col, and I agree with a lot of what you said about gaming PCs. I guess my mindset was still set in the early/mid 2000s, when gaming rigs were as much as a used car. LOL

I also agree this generation has (except for a couple of RARE exceptions) been total sh*t for RPGs, be it Western or Asian.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Message 12 of 22 (118 Views)
Gaming Beast
2392 posts

Jul 2, 2012

Brozz65 wrote:

Nice post Col, and I agree with a lot of what you said about gaming PCs. I guess my mindset was still set in the early/mid 2000s, when gaming rigs were as much as a used car. LOL

I also agree this generation has (except for a couple of RARE exceptions) been total sh*t for RPGs, be it Western or Asian.

Yeah, it's because everybodys playing FPS' nowadays so there are not many companies that want to make good RPGs anymore.  Even the companies that stick to being hardcore RPG companies have much lower budgets nowadays because they know that they are not going to sell many games.  Pretty much all of my friends play the Call of Duty games and they tell me that they don't like RPGs because they don't like to read instruction manuals and they just don't like reading in general.  They tell me RPGs are boring.  It's kinda sad considering the fact that RPGs are my favorite type of game and that's all I prefer to play.  I end up having to play other types of games between RPGs to hold me by.

Message 13 of 22 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Jul 2, 2012

Im gonna take your post a step further Monkey, and say that IMO ... FPS games and the people who play them have dumbed down the gaming industry to the point when if you arent on Ritalin (sp?) and have an average (or higher) IQ, you arent going to like the way the industry is headed.

I know thats a huge generlization, and I know not all FPSers are like that, but, in my experience, most are.

/puts on flame suit

Message 14 of 22 (104 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Jul 2, 2012

colstripcapn wrote:

I don't really find gaming on a PC to be all that expensive. It can be at first, but the upkeep is not as bad as people make it out to be. Unless, and this is the big caveat, you buy from HP/Dell/etc instead of building your own. You pay a massive, massive premium to have them give you a ready built PC.

When the PS3 was new it was $600, and for that much you could easily make a gaming PC. A PC only has to be as good as the consoles to survive, since games are developed for consoles now as the larger market. The days of having to upgrade a PC yearly because developers keep pushing the envelope are gone. Even in the PC world more and more people switch over to gaming on laptops which are inferior in every way to a desktop in terms of performance. Yet they can still run all the latest games, because games are developed for 7 year old hardware.

PC's are just another way to play games, and often a heck of a lot cheaper in terms of software. A lot of the multiplatform games you can pick up on a steam sale for less than $10 while the retail counterparts are still $30+. As an example I bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 for $10 each and will get 3 for the same (Christmas sale probably). I got Borderlands GOTY edition which has all the DLC for $7.50. Portal 2 ... $10. Torchlight $2.50. The list goes on.

Consoles offer the security Papa Warlock mentioned, if you buy a game you know it will 'just work' with what you have. Unless it is a Bethesda game.

I own all three consoles, and honestly, there isn't any difference between a 360 and PS3 unless you are the ADD type and can't stand not being able to say the word 'first' with DLC. For RPGs there are no PS3 exclusives in my must have list, and the 360 only has one (Lost Odyssey). This generation has been crap for the traditional turn-based RPGs I enjoy.

When gaming on PC began to take off, it was during the same time frame that the PS 1 came out. At that point in time, PCs were still pretty expensive compared to the consoles. It's only been within the last few years that you could build a "decent" PC in the $600 - $800 range and have it last more than just a year.

As I stated earlier, I grew up on consoles. I'd spent nearly 20 years on consoles before I had my first PC. It was not designed for gaming. Also during this point in time there were few RPGs on the PC and so there was no point for me to get interested in PCs for gaming. Even now I don't have any desire to buy a gaming PC.

I'm not saying gaming on the PC sucks, only stating my experience and preference. PC gaming can be good for the average gamer.

Sad. But too true.

I know that you can often get PC games for cheaper via Steam but if you're not into PC gaming than it really doesn't matter if you can do that or not. No offense to ya Col.

I own the 360, Wii, PS3, 3DS and Vita. Unfortunately handhelds are the way to go when it comes to traditional turn based RPGs. As far as DLC goes, I could care less who gets what first. I find it amusing sometimes to watch the fanatics fume over DLC.

Oh, by the way Col, if you're interested in a very old school turn based RPG, check out the PSN exclusive "Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls". There is a demo of the game if you're interested. It is very old school.

Message 15 of 22 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Jul 3, 2012

PapaWarlock wrote:

I know that you can often get PC games for cheaper via Steam but if you're not into PC gaming than it really doesn't matter if you can do that or not. No offense to ya Col.

I own the 360, Wii, PS3, 3DS and Vita. Unfortunately handhelds are the way to go when it comes to traditional turn based RPGs. As far as DLC goes, I could care less who gets what first. I find it amusing sometimes to watch the fanatics fume over DLC.

Oh, by the way Col, if you're interested in a very old school turn based RPG, check out the PSN exclusive "Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls". There is a demo of the game if you're interested. It is very old school.

I was more just illustrating that the winds have changed, and PC gaming can, in soome cases, actually come out cheaper than console gaming. But, you will find more games on a console these days than PC.

Handhelds are the place for turn-based games ... or at least they were. But as far as I've seen, there have been none so far on the 3DS/Vita front. I've seen a couple ports announced (like P4 on Vita) but nothing new :smileysad: I haven't bought either yet, waiting for the games before I jump on board with one of them.

I did look at Wizardry back when the demo was offered, but I just can't seem to get into the first person perspective. I had the same problem with Strange Journey.

Message 16 of 22 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Jul 3, 2012

"Oh, by the way Col, if you're interested in a very old school turn based RPG, check out the PSN exclusive "Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls". There is a demo of the game if you're interested. It is very old school."

I have to agree, I tried the demo, and it was similar to games like "Shining in the Darkness" or "Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun" from the old Genesis days.

Message 17 of 22 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Jul 3, 2012

colstripcapn wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

I did look at Wizardry back when the demo was offered, but I just can't seem to get into the first person perspective. I had the same problem with Strange Journey.

It reminds me a lot of the NES D&D game Eye of the Beholder. I also played a few of the Might & Magic as well as Wizardry games back in the day. At least I think I played like NES versions of them. The 1st person perspective doesn't bother me because I'm familiar with the style from back then.

Message 18 of 22 (83 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jul 5, 2012
wow so much crying for one post.
Message 19 of 22 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Jul 5, 2012

HazeXL wrote:
wow so much crying for one post.

Care to explain?

I don't see anything wrong with discussions, and no one is arguing in this thread.

Message 20 of 22 (64 Views)
0 Likes