Treasure Hunter
6969 posts

Re: Shadow Hearts From the New World Initial Thoughts

Mar 28, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

Mastervivi wrote:
I'm still finding the Difficulty in this game to be beyond compare. I spent an hour on my 5th try before I killed a partiular boss, and shortly after was destroyed by a mini-boss. Its a turn off at times, but at the same time its nice to see a challenge.

I think you are right. There seems to be something with this one and the difficulty level. I also think the Judgement Ring sweeps faster. I spend alot of time in each area levelling, so I haven't had any problems with bosses. I just make sure I have enough stock to belt out a double combo right away using my standard team of Johnny, Shania, Natan and Slim Hilda. Then I mop up the remaining HP the boss has left if it survives the combo. (which they usually do) However even with my levelling, I find that normal battles boil down to magic. Relying on physical attacks doesn't seem to work as well as it did in the past games. I basically use magic all the time and that is not my usual method.

Yeah, in Shadow Hearts 2 I was able to play with the Ring set to "Technical", but on FtNW, I have it set to Normal. It just seems harder to hit (not any less accurate), and the consequences of missing are much greater.

I did get that double encounter rate item, which I might be forced to use. And I agree that magic is far more important in battles (Red Nova, anyone?). Fortunately there seem to be plenty of ways to cut back on your MP use, and items are cheap enough to replenish used MP.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 16 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Mar 29, 2006

Mastervivi wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

Mastervivi wrote:
I'm still finding the Difficulty in this game to be beyond compare. I spent an hour on my 5th try before I killed a partiular boss, and shortly after was destroyed by a mini-boss. Its a turn off at times, but at the same time its nice to see a challenge.

I think you are right. There seems to be something with this one and the difficulty level. I also think the Judgement Ring sweeps faster. I spend alot of time in each area levelling, so I haven't had any problems with bosses. I just make sure I have enough stock to belt out a double combo right away using my standard team of Johnny, Shania, Natan and Slim Hilda. Then I mop up the remaining HP the boss has left if it survives the combo. (which they usually do) However even with my levelling, I find that normal battles boil down to magic. Relying on physical attacks doesn't seem to work as well as it did in the past games. I basically use magic all the time and that is not my usual method.

Yeah, in Shadow Hearts 2 I was able to play with the Ring set to "Technical", but on FtNW, I have it set to Normal. It just seems harder to hit (not any less accurate), and the consequences of missing are much greater.

I did get that double encounter rate item, which I might be forced to use. And I agree that magic is far more important in battles (Red Nova, anyone?). Fortunately there seem to be plenty of ways to cut back on your MP use, and items are cheap enough to replenish used MP.

It seems like even the developers knew you were going to have to rely on magic alot. Yes there are alot of ways to reduce MP usage. I always equip the Gold Necklce when raising to up the encounter rate, you need it as the encounter rate is a bit on the low side IMO. Oh and not to spoil anything, but cornball aka Johnny will get better eventually unfortunately it takes so long you still don't like him. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 16 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6312 posts

Mar 29, 2006
The game sounds great to me. I have to wait until next week to get it.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 16 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Mar 30, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

Is it just coming out in Canada? Yeah you will enjoy it. Just think of it as a sidestory or something and you will be fine. Oh and if you like Johnny, don't tell me. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 16 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6312 posts

Mar 30, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

Is it just coming out in Canada? Yeah you will enjoy it. Just think of it as a sidestory or something and you will be fine. Oh and if you like Johnny, don't tell me. lol

No I just get money next week. lol I don't know about Johnny since Yuri was a great character.

P.S: Make as many threads as possible to beat back the tide of the ruthless bloodthirsty Kingdom Hearts 2 threads that has happened in the past and in the impending future. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 16 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Mar 30, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

No I just get money next week. lol I don't know about Johnny since Yuri was a great character.

P.S: Make as many threads as possible to beat back the tide of the ruthless bloodthirsty Kingdom Hearts 2 threads that has happened in the past and in the impending future. lol

Johnny = cheese, cornball, blecchhhh, and all things terrible lol I hate his picture taking, "Smile and Say ch-EEEEE-se", that is how it sounds when he says it. He is no Yuri, but Shania fills the void nicely enough. (well except Yuri never and thank goodness never put on strip shows where Shania does, I had to turn her fusion animations off as that kind of thing from video game characters revolts me lol)

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 16 (0 Views)
0 Likes