Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 05 2006
By: Shadowmyst01 Treasure Hunter 6312 posts

Rpg Emotion

9 replies 3 views Edited Feb 5, 2006
  Do you think they should have a variety of Emotional tones in any Rpg? What I mean is an rpg that is serious then goes to action, comedy, horror, etc.. during the gameplay while the player goes through the game. This also works when it is a fantasy type Rpg then during the game threw in a bit of Sci-Fi at a certain part. Do you think they should be consistant with what they are trying to convey or use a whole range of different tones and rpg elements?
  I myself like fantasy type rpg's with comedy in them but sometimes I would like to see a little bit of Sci-Fi thrown into the mix to see what happens and also to see where the writers would go with it. Also when the boss is encountered a little horror to show just how bad the boss is would make the player want to destroy him/him so much more would be a added bonus. What do you think?
Message 1 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4295 posts

Re: Rpg Emotion

Feb 5, 2006
 Since RPGs can be such long games, I think a variety of emotional tones is a great.  Disgaea does a good job with that. *Spoilers Ahoy!*  It can be very funny (when Laharl becomes the Overlord), sad (when you find out the truth about Laharl's parents), and serious (when Laharl and the gang confront Seraph Lamington at the end). 
Message 2 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 5, 2006

For your information, this variety of emotional tones you're discussing has existed within decent RPGs since music was first combined with RPGs. That's why they're considered at least decent. RPGs that intends to convey only one emotional tone would be bland ones. The successful RPGs in our present time used myriad of emotionial tones/emotions conveyed by music, actions and face expressions fitting with certain situations. This is the proof whether the RPG have 'soul' or not. Neglect this important asset in your RPG and there'll be no characteristic in your RPG. I don't have to tell you whether it's good or bad.

That sums up much of my opinion. Sticking to one theme might be easier, but combining it with others is what makes an RPG epic.

Message 3 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6312 posts

Feb 6, 2006
My meaning is that rpg's go with 2 usually. Action/Adventure, Adventure/comedy, Medievil/action, etc...  Shouldn't it change more often then that. I mean these are all story based and stories try to change the mood of the story as much as possible to keep the reader interested. There were alot of places in rpg's that people could see that they could have taken it a bit farther then what they do.
Message 4 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 6, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:
My meaning is that rpg's go with 2 usually. Action/Adventure, Adventure/comedy, Medievil/action, etc...  Shouldn't it change more often then that. I mean these are all story based and stories try to change the mood of the story as much as possible to keep the reader interested. There were alot of places in rpg's that people could see that they could have taken it a bit farther then what they do.

Frankly, I couldn't understand this post of yours. First we're talking about emotional tones, then we're talking about RPG types. Which is it?
Message 5 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
879 posts

Feb 6, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:
  Do you think they should have a variety of Emotional tones in any Rpg? What I mean is an rpg that is serious then goes to action, comedy, horror, etc.. during the gameplay while the player goes through the game. This also works when it is a fantasy type Rpg then during the game threw in a bit of Sci-Fi at a certain part. Do you think they should be consistant with what they are trying to convey or use a whole range of different tones and rpg elements?
  I myself like fantasy type rpg's with comedy in them but sometimes I would like to see a little bit of Sci-Fi thrown into the mix to see what happens and also to see where the writers would go with it. Also when the boss is encountered a little horror to show just how bad the boss is would make the player want to destroy him/him so much more would be a added bonus. What do you think?

I think that it depends on whether or not they want a serious game. I personally think that yes, all RPG's should have a variety of emotion, especially considering the length. It's more interesting when you have the different moods/emotions, because you can laugh, cry, and all around it just helps to connect with the player.
If they are going for a really serious game though, obviously there will be little or no humor involved.

PM me for sig requests
Message 6 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5420 posts

Feb 7, 2006

Kitaro The Estranged wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

Frankly, I couldn't understand this post of yours. First we're talking about emotional tones, then we're talking about RPG types. Which is it?

I understood exactly what he meant right off the bat!  Frankly, I don't mind the constant change in moods in a RPG, as long as it is done well!  If they do a half-assed job of integrating the moods together, then of course it won't work well....
Message 7 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 7, 2006

Aeris_Jayle wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

I understood exactly what he meant right off the bat!  Frankly, I don't mind the constant change in moods in a RPG, as long as it is done well!  If they do a half-assed job of integrating the moods together, then of course it won't work well....

Action/Adventure is an RPG type, not an RPG mood. If we're talking about emotions, every RPG has constant change of emotions. If we're talking about gameplay system changing modes halfway, for example turn based to action, I think it's better to only stay with one. If the "mood" means scenery or music then my answer is yes. Otherwise, it's better to leave me confused.
Message 8 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6312 posts

Feb 7, 2006

Aeris_Jayle wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

Action/Adventure is an RPG type, not an RPG mood. If we're talking about emotions, every RPG has constant change of emotions. If we're talking about gameplay system changing modes halfway, for example turn based to action, I think it's better to only stay with one. If the "mood" means scenery or music then my answer is yes. Otherwise, it's better to leave me confused.

Aeris understood. Action/Adventure is also a mood. If it is only these two things the characters are not going to start a deep philisophical conversation in the middle of it. Emotion is tied to moods in almost everyway. Mood is the way the game is structured to effect the player during any given time in the game. I don't see why this is confusing?
Message 9 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 8, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:
My meaning is that rpg's go with 2 usually. Action/Adventure, Adventure/comedy, Medievil/action, etc...  Shouldn't it change more often then that. I mean these are all story based and stories try to change the mood of the story as much as possible to keep the reader interested. There were alot of places in rpg's that people could see that they could have taken it a bit farther then what they do.

The words and the dot in red is beyond my understanding but nevertheless, I've given my answer.
Message 10 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes