Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 10 2006
By: Weidleface PlayStation MVP 7864 posts

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure- Initial Thoughts *Minor Spoilers!*

2 replies 2 views Edited Feb 10, 2006
Ok, I'm about 5 hours into Rhapsody here, and I have to say, It is darn near exactly what I have been searching for in terms of originality. I mean, you don't see too often where the Prince gets abducted and the little common girl ahs to save him.

But, anyway, here's my thoughts on the game so far;

Storyline-

I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the story thus far (I just arrived in BlueCat) but I have a strong feeling that it will gate better. IMO, it started off very slow and monotonus. There were some moments where I had no clue what to do (yes, this early in the game), as there seemed to be no hints story wise. I spent about an hour wandering around in the forest north of Mothergreen (I forgot its name) when all I was supposed to do was get a fish from the river! But how was I supposed to know that?! Of course, I did get massively leveled up in that timeframe. Like I mentioned earlier, I like the idea of the charming prince being the one in danger, and the fact that all the townsfolk keep calling him a "sissy" after the abduction just adds to the greatness of the situation.

Graphics-

I absolutely love the graohics in this game! The slightly blocky characters are very reminiscant of Harvest Moon 64 (which I loved, btw). I'm a huge sucker for those types of graphocs, including the Anime charicatures that are shown during dialouge. Another plus here is the gallery of artwork and the pictures that can be colected during your adventures. All I can say is thank you, Nippon Icchi!

Sound/Music-

This is by far what has made this game for me this far. The background music is beautiful (I like the song playing in Mothergreen), and the songs that the characters sing are excellent aws well (I especially like Coronet and Ferdinand's duet at the party)! I do have one minor complaint, and that is the lack of harmony in the duets I have heard so far. Both the Etoile/Coronet and the Coronet/Ferdinand duets had no harmony at all in the synchronized parts. Being a muge music buff, this really dissappointed me.

Battle System-

This is another major plus for me. The small scale tactical battle system is a breath of fresh air for the ATB that I am so accustomed to. My most favorite thing about the battle system, though, is the ability to recruit monsters afterward. Many of my monsters thus far are stronger than my puppets! I also like Coronet's whole horn/reward combo she has. That is pretty much all I have her do, when she's not attempting to catch monsters. I build up my reward just in case there is a big battle that I'm not expecting (you gotta be prepared ).

Overall, this game is turning out to be the original, quirky adventure that I have been hungering for. I'll be sure to let you guys know my final thoughts, and maybe a few progress updates here and there.

Message Edited by random_hero215 on 02-09-200606:44 PM

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Message 1 of 3 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21168 posts

Re: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure- Initial Thoughts *Minor Spoilers!*

Feb 10, 2006

random_hero215 wrote:
Ok, I'm about 5 hours into Rhapsody here, and I have to say, It is darn near exactly what I have been searching for in terms of originality. I mean, you don't see too often where the Prince gets abducted and the little common girl ahs to save him.

The story isn't anything really special, but just the character interactions and miniquests are enough to make up for it. The reverse on the typical fairytale is a nice go on as well. The musical portion either makes or breaks the game, I think. You either love it because it's campy or something fresh, or hate it because it sucks (which it does, in all fairness, as you mentioned with the lack of harmony or true talent in the English vocalists).

The graphics are very nice, at least in terms of town and sprite designs, although I think the dungeons are very lame. It's just the same three patterns with different colors for dungeon elements. The castle ones are awful. Luckily, you can save whenever, so if you get tired of staring at the same wall, you can take a good break!

The game lacks in challenge, since leveling up super strong comes even if you just play the game without getting stuck anywhere. Cornet just becomes unbelievably strong, and you don't even need the rest of your characters, but it's fun to have monsters join your party. It's sweet!

I'm rather surprised you like the battle system, because this is one of my least favorite parts of the game. The special attacks are its real saving grace, because the SRPG grid setup only works in theory, since the battle field is *far too small* to actually make use of it being a strategy setup.

All in all, continue to enjoy the game! It's really something great, even though it's nothing great. It's one of the only games that can do that.

Message 2 of 3 (2 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7864 posts

Re: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure- Initial Thoughts *Minor Spoilers!*

Feb 12, 2006

VII Says Goodbye wrote:

random_hero215 wrote:

The story isn't anything really special, but just the character interactions and miniquests are enough to make up for it. The reverse on the typical fairytale is a nice go on as well. The musical portion either makes or breaks the game, I think. You either love it because it's campy or something fresh, or hate it because it sucks (which it does, in all fairness, as you mentioned with the lack of harmony or true talent in the English vocalists).

I wouldn't say the english vocalists lack talent, It's just the arrangements that make them sound bad. I personally like the English vocalists for Coronet and Marjoly. Prince Ferdinand, on the other hand, I cannot stand. He's talented, sure, but on several occasions in "Our World" alone, he seems to go way off key (I'm a musician, so I have an ear for this kind of stuff) and it really gets on your nerves.
Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Message 3 of 3 (2 Views)
0 Likes