Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
2085 posts

Re: Recommend an RPG for my 8 year old Gamer.......

Mar 28, 2006

rpggmrmom wrote:
i have an 8 year old son who has been gaming since he was 3,and now that he can read he has more interest in my RPG games. but i would like a younger persons(or someone remembering when they were younger) oppinion of a RPG that they enjoyed and that was not too intricate so he wont get too frusterated,i started gaming as an adult so i need a little young gamer input. we have a PS2 & xbox, he does well on both.he just recently beat NMBC oogies revenge,sonic classics,and scoobie doo...but i think it would be good for him to be exposed to a good,somewhat simple,RPG!!:womanvery-happy:

You could Try Kingdom Hearts.. My sister's friend's brother is only 9 and he plays kingdom hearts, he started when he was 8 though
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Mar 28, 2006

I noticed a lot of people in here who don't know how to read. The game is for an 8 year old boy. Games like Magna Carta, Kingdom Hearts, FFX, FFX-2, Star Ocean and Shadow Hearts are not meant for children.

The following games are all rated E.

1. Pokemon - GBA, DS, GC
  2. Megaman Legends - PS1
  3. Paper Mario - GC
  4. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 - GBA and PS1
  5. Lunar Legend - GBA
  6. Breath of Fire - GBA
  7. Breath of Fire 2 - GBA
  8. Shaman King - GBA
  9. Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker - GC (Not an RPG, IMO, but thought I would throw it in)

I am sure there are more. Most of these games are good, some are mediocre, but overall it is a good place to start. I couldn't find any PS2 RPGs rated below T.

Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1178 posts

Mar 28, 2006
OMG OMG OMG!!!  How cute!!!!!  Okay, here's some of my suggestions*:

If you have any PS1 games, here's what I would recommend:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Final Fantasy Chronicles and Anthologies and maybe IX
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy IV
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (This game is good, but he may need a little help from you...you guys could play this together!  ^_^)

PS2:
Kingdom Hearts
Beyond Good and Evil
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Imma look into the PS2 thing a little more...

GameCube:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Paper Mario TTYD
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem: POR

(note: *= from my own collection)

Message Edited by Lady Subaru on 03-27-200608:50 PM

Thanks Fate for the beautiful sig!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1178 posts

Mar 28, 2006

NitELeX wrote:
I would suggest anime RPG's, Star Ocean, .Hack, Magna Carta even pokemon. And then some mainstream like Dragon Quest and some older FF's. I wanted to say Morrowind but i remmemberd he is 8, but at least he will learn at how to not get lost lol. But hey, maybe he wont like RPG's, you never know, but worth trying.

Not to be rude, but you obviously didn't play Magna Carta or you just didn't pay very close attention to detail.  There are so many times that they say "damn" and at the beginning of the game alone there's a few joking references about child molesters.  Sorry y'all, Magna Carta, as much as I love that game, I wouldn't even let my little 12-yr-old bro touch.  .hack's a good choice, granted it is kind of confusing at first and he might require maximum assistance.  Other than that, my 10-yr-old cousin plays Elder Scrolls on Xbox but knows we have it on PC and prefers to play it on his computer.  Pokemon's a good choice always .
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5038 posts

Mar 28, 2006
You sure about Chrono Cross Lady Subaru? I mean...that could be hard for an 8-year-old kid. And .hack...I don't think it would be good for him, it has a confusing, technical and deep storyline that may bore him and keep him away from RPGs lol.
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1178 posts

Mar 28, 2006
My best friend's son loves .hack and he's seven years old.  I taught him how to play and from there he's done fairly well on his own.  Plus, Chrono Cross was okay in my opinion because I really didn't see any foul language in it, the only thing questionable was when one of the main characters was killed in an FMV, but I've seen rated G movies that are a lot more risque than that.  ^_^  That's the only reason I mentioned those two.  ^_^
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6969 posts

Mar 28, 2006
Chrono Cross does have a fairly basic battle system, but the story may be a bit confusing for a kid, especially with Kid's slang. And as mentioned just now, there are a few somewhat disturbing CSs that aren't probably suitable for a kid. I say obey the rating on this one.
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Mar 28, 2006

Lady Subaru wrote:
My best friend's son loves .hack and he's seven years old.  I taught him how to play and from there he's done fairly well on his own.  Plus, Chrono Cross was okay in my opinion because I really didn't see any foul language in it, the only thing questionable was when one of the main characters was killed in an FMV, but I've seen rated G movies that are a lot more risque than that.  ^_^  That's the only reason I mentioned those two.  ^_^

SPOILER

Except for the gruesome death of Kid.

Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5038 posts

Mar 28, 2006
I refer to the story of those two, those might be very confusing for a kid, not about the CGs...
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1178 posts

Mar 28, 2006
Either way, I'd probably recommend for the parent who is a console RPG lover to play it first and see what their opinion is on it in any case.  ^_^
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 72 (1 View)
0 Likes