0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7874 posts

Re: RPG reason

Feb 3, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

Do you like the reason behind the main rpg story? Do you prefer:

• The chosen one scenerio. (Tales of Symphonia )
  • Just caught up into the storyline by accident. (Grandia )
  • Personal reasons (Killed someone precious, etc...) and is now out for revenge. (Shadow Hearts)
  • It is your main characters duty to go after the evil, the knight saving the princess.( Zelda )
  • Can't remember but is compelled to help. ( Digital Devil Saga )
  • Secondary character thrown into the main characters spot by some event ( FF7 )
  • End of the world (Chrono Trigger )
  • Ancient evil that has awakened

I try not to think of the reason too much. Because most RPGs lose sight of it themselves by the end of the game, either breaking down from whatever it was to save the world from ancient, returning God/Goddess/Beast of Destruction or spouting too many philosophical/psychological/whatever babble that is going to go over my head anyway.

I guess I prefer the fighting for a good cause reason, or the fighting to protect someone dear reason. Kinda like Breath of Fire DQ, Ryu isn't out to save the world or change it, he just wants to help Nina. It was nice, sweet and different.

Just make sure the reason does not involve AMNESIA!!!! I am SO sick of the anmesia nonsense.

I agre completely, tbd. Part of me thinks that the amnesia thing is thrown in there when the writers can't come up with any other explanation for whatever events have currently come to pass.

Anywho, I prefer the types of stories where the lead character/party has a seemingly simple initial quest, but as they progress, new twists, turns, and suprises lead to a much deeper and meaningful quest (see: FF VII, VIII, and IX).
Photobucket
Currently Playing: Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire, Tales From The Borderlands
Message 12 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Feb 3, 2006
Out of the ones listed I like the:

Accidentally fall into the story one.

That's how Secret of Mana was.  I really dug that the hero was just some unsuspecting young man who overcame adversity.
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 13 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2080 posts

Feb 3, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

• Personal reasons (Killed someone precious, etc...) and is now out for revenge. (Shadow Hearts)
  • It is your main characters duty to go after the evil, the knight saving the princess.( Zelda )
  • Secondary character thrown into the main characters spot by some event ( FF7 )
  • Ancient evil that has awakened (Dragon Quest 8)

Message Edited by Shadowmyst01 on 02-02-200601:57 PM

It does not matter the reason why I like a RPGs' main story. As long as the storyline is great, and it got great gameplay, I like the RPG.
Message 14 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Feb 4, 2006
I like reasoning like in Legend of Mana.  It is too hard to explain, though.

Message 15 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Feb 4, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

• Ancient evil that has awakened (Dragon Quest 8)
  • None of the above

Message Edited by Shadowmyst01 on 02-02-200601:57 PM

I added my own choice, I choose none of the above, because if an RPG is to be perfect, then one of the aspects of the perfectness has to be that the story was created like none other, it is completely unique, and therefore, none of us can be sitting here talking about it right now because it hasn't been done yet. (Cosmic )
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 16 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 4, 2006

random_hero215 wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

I try not to think of the reason too much. Because most RPGs lose sight of it themselves by the end of the game, either breaking down from whatever it was to save the world from ancient, returning God/Goddess/Beast of Destruction or spouting too many philosophical/psychological/whatever babble that is going to go over my head anyway.

I guess I prefer the fighting for a good cause reason, or the fighting to protect someone dear reason. Kinda like Breath of Fire DQ, Ryu isn't out to save the world or change it, he just wants to help Nina. It was nice, sweet and different.

Just make sure the reason does not involve AMNESIA!!!! I am SO sick of the anmesia nonsense.

I agre completely, tbd. Part of me thinks that the amnesia thing is thrown in there when the writers can't come up with any other explanation for whatever events have currently come to pass.

Anywho, I prefer the types of stories where the lead character/party has a seemingly simple initial quest, but as they progress, new twists, turns, and suprises lead to a much deeper and meaningful quest (see: FF VII, VIII, and IX).

Yeah that is what I think. I have yet to see a plausible amnesia plot in an RPG. Even the ones that seem promising at first seem to break down into just an excuse for lazy storytelling. I guess these game writers take the same page out of the same cliched playbook: amnesia = artificial mystery = interesting.... something I very much disagree with.

Message 17 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3622 posts

Feb 4, 2006
I really like plot twists and personal things. I love revenge. Revenge always sets up a good plot.
Message 18 of 18 (0 Views)
0 Likes