Jan 28 2013
By: FrozenApplePie First Son 3 posts

RPG Reccommendation?

17 replies 336 views Edited Jan 28, 2013

Hey, I'm looking for RPGs but I dont know many titles on the PS3. The types of RPGs I'm looking for are like Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean. I don't really like turnbased RPGs too much, I like free roam fights. Not sure what else to add in...I also like RPGs with alchemy / synthesising / fusing.

Thanks in advanced

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (336 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10742 posts

Re: RPG Reccommendation?

Jan 28, 2013

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, recently released, has more of a free-roaming combat style than it does turn-based. The battles are in active real-time, where all the choices you make means the battle still wages on around your character as you're employing attacks, magics, items, and other actions.

In addition to this, Ni no Kuni offers an item-crafting turn of events along the way. I've not yet reached this point in the game myself, but can assure you that it's there for whatever purpose this may hold. Besides Ni no Kuni though, I'd suggest Star Ocean: The Last Hope International if you've not already played the game. It's the only Star Ocean on the system, which holds true to the redeemable quality the franchise is known for.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (330 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I saw ni no kuni at my local gamestop and it peaked my interest but looking at some gameplay videos I dont think it's really for me, it looks like a single button mash game.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (327 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10898 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

FrozenApplePie wrote:

I saw ni no kuni at my local gamestop and it peaked my interest but looking at some gameplay videos I dont think it's really for me, it looks like a single button mash game.

I don’t think it’s possible to button mash your way through Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. If you do that during a battle then you will be constantly looking at the “Continue” screen (or the title screen – take your pick). You said that you like role-playing games with alchemy, synthesizing, and fusion so I’m not surprised that someone would recommend Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. You might like this video game if you give it a chance but it is a fairly traditional experience and it certainly isn’t for everyone. If you are convinced that it isn’t for you then I hope you find something else.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (325 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jan 28, 2013

FrozenApplePie wrote:

Oh no. You will not succeed if all you do is try to button mash. I suggest downloading the demo to give it a shot.

As you progress through the game and level up your famliiars, you gain access to more and more abilities. You have to set the abilities before you can use them. You can only have but so many ability slots per familiar. Each familiar with associated with a sign (Moon, Sun, Star) and each is weak to something. You also have fire, water, thunder, healing, earth and some minor buff spells. Each ability has it's own cool down timer. If you cast a spell with Oliver you have a cool down before you can do something else and a slightly longer cool down before you can cast again.

This is not a button masher :smileyhappy: This is old school Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, with some Tales combat ideas, mixed together with a Level-5 game feel to it. This is not your ordinary game. This is what JRPGs should be.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

im like you i despise turn based its lazy. i really love Ni No Kuni its real time mix so your engaged the whole fight. i love it. i really liked eternal sonata also as well as the new paper mario sticker star. you actually have to block real time and move around vs just sitting there taking hits like an idiot. how thats fun ill never know. i recommend Ni No Kuni its amazing and should be the new standard for RPG's.

turn based always kept me away from rpg's. glad developers are breaking out of that tired mold and making them more interactive and fun. check it out, avoid the demo, not very beginner friendly and turned me off. glad i bought it. its complex how it actually works. not a masher at all, you will die if you do that

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (314 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Seems like it really is a good game, I didnt know there was a demo, I'll go ahead and download it and try it out. Just to add more to my collection though, is the game a game where you can dodge abilities/attacks and not use a single potion/healing spell in a fight or are you forced to take hits? I like games where you can avoid spells and attacks a game where it takes skill level into consideration. 

Thanks for the postings so far guys. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (298 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jan 28, 2013

FrozenApplePie wrote:

Seems like it really is a good game, I didnt know there was a demo, I'll go ahead and download it and try it out. Just to add more to my collection though, is the game a game where you can dodge abilities/attacks and not use a single potion/healing spell in a fight or are you forced to take hits? I like games where you can avoid spells and attacks a game where it takes skill level into consideration. 

Thanks for the postings so far guys. 

There are some familiars that have the Evade ability but you'll have to manually put it into effect. When your opponents use their moves you are able to counter them, dodge them or defend against them. Most opponents if you hit attack as they start their move you'll stop it. Doesn't apply to Boss fights. With Boss fights you'll need to either use Evade or Defend. Sometimes you can avoid the frontal attacks by moving out of range or behind the monster but there are some Area of Effect attacks that you'll need to Defend against to minimalize damage. You can also raise the evasion rate of your familiars.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Jan 29, 2013

you can avoid you have full control over your fighter avoiding attacks. if they lock on, you can defend from the menu.

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (282 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

Well i DONT recommend A game of thrones or Skyrim, because even though they are both great games Ps3 sucks and they will NEVER get their act together and actually get the Downloadable content for their games out. I feel completely jipped that i didnt go xbox , and decided to support ps3. NOW i wont get the extra content for Skyrim which has been out FOREVER , and they are never going to bother with the Game of Thrones content. I HATE ps3. im going to sale mine soon and just go back to pc games.

**edit removed profanity****

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (255 Views)
0 Likes