Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
6 posts

Re: RPG Note Taking?

Feb 16, 2006
Back many years ago I used to take a lot of notes when I played (the Ultima games, Bard's Tale II) but not so much any more.  Games are more linear now and a lot of them have journals in some form or another (in DQ VIII you can talk to your party to get info you might have forgotten about what to do next).  So far in DQ VIIII I keep a sheet on what equipment my characters are wearing but that's the only notes I have taken so far.  I probably should have kept better track of the chests I couldn't open because I am not 100% sure I got them all now that I can open them.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 24 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15169 posts

Feb 16, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:
This is just a simple, little discussion topic for a change. When you play an RPG, what kinds of notes do you take? How extensive? Maybe  you are blessed enough to remember everything and don't need to write down anything? Do you jot stuff down in detail, just random thoughts, carefully, quickly, can you read what you have written afterwards?

My notebook is always at my side when I play any RPG. I tend to write down lots of things, depending on what I am thinking at the time. Sometimes I will write down where I need to go if I know I won't get to it for awhile. I always make myself a to do list. Like go raise this many levels, then shop for this, take this person there and make sure they do/get that, etc. All things I know I intend to do but will forget if left to my own devices.

I write down stuff I will need to go back to as well. Like a blocked passage or a chest that can't be opened now, stuff like that. I also keep tracks of points of interest. (for example if I find a particularly good spot for raising, I'll jot it down) Sometimes if I feel like it, I'll keep lists of where I got stuff (like I did with DQ8' mini medals, but I did that in case someone I know ever plays or anyone on here asked, for example) or where I fought certain monsters. (like if I need to go back to analyze them if the game has a bestiary to fill in) Sometimes I'll try to solve a puzzle on paper, or draw a makeshift map of an area if I keep getting lost. (although that rarely works as I can't draw a straight line with a ruler lol)

I tend to not write neatly so sometimes I can't make out what I wrote. Then I get steamed at myself. lol I wouldn't say I keep extensive notes purposely, i just write down what I feel is necessary at the time.

I only take notes when I play MMO's and thats only for recipes, or items I need to get to build something. I rarely write notes.....ever.

I also write notes when I play adventure games, like LOOM for example, I had to write down the music notes so I could remember what combinations I needed to play on the staff to get certian effects, or Maniac Mansion, Zack McKraken and the Alien Mind benders, the monkey Island series, etc.

and Passwords for old games. lol

I think the earliest RPG game created, that I used notes was for Secret of Evermore for the SNES, and that was so I could remember how many of a certian object I needed so I could trade for something. IE

12 beans - 6 bags of rice

12 bags of rice - 20 beads

30 bags of rice + 15 beads - sun stone

things like that, it was a pain in the butt, but I got good items. lol everything else has been older.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 24 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Feb 16, 2006
I never take notes, and I have never thought about taking notes before.  If I ever need to remember something, then I look it up in a walkthrough or something of the sort.  Most of the time I have a good memory, though.  I have played enough RPGs to get used to the idea of remembering what the game is about.

Message Edited by Seiken_Densetsu on 02-16-200606:18 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 24 (0 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7863 posts

Feb 17, 2006
I'm one of those people who is blessed enough to remember everything, at least story wise, when I'm playing an RPG. I'll write stuff down occasionally, but normally on a random loose sheet of paper. The things I write donw normally consist of codes or things of that nature that I may need at a later juncture in the game.
Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 24 (0 Views)
0 Likes