Big Daddy
19284 posts

Re: RPG News 03/24/06

Mar 25, 2006

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

Kos-Mos Is MY-Girl wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

You shouldn't really put a Zelda game in RPG news. Since it isn't. People say its an RPG but itsAction/Adventure. The only RPG Zelda was the second one.

Even Nintendo shows that its a Action/Adventure not a RPG.

It has strong RPG elements though, like hack n slash and dungeon crawling

Doesn't make it an RPG.

It my eyes it always will be. That said I like the look and if I get get a DS I'll definetly pick it up.

Nintendo, themselves, classify the Zelda franchise as an adventure series. Having RPG elements doesn't make it an RPG. Just look at GTA:smileyfrustrated:an Andreas, would you call that an RPG? Anyways, I will get out of this conversation, I have had this one so many times. It is a lose/lose situation. People will believe what they want to.

Is there any word on any RPGs for the PS3 besides Untold Legends or MMORPGs? How about some information on Wild Arms 5?

Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Message 21 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Final Boss
30058 posts

Mar 25, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Nintendo, themselves, classify the Zelda franchise as an adventure series. Having RPG elements doesn't make it an RPG. Just look at GTA:smileyfrustrated:an Andreas, would you call that an RPG? Anyways, I will get out of this conversation, I have had this one so many times. It is a lose/lose situation. People will believe what they want to.

Is there any word on any RPGs for the PS3 besides Untold Legends or MMORPGs? How about some information on Wild Arms 5?

With E3 now less than 2 months away I do expect a lot of major announcements about games soon as all 3 major players aka Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo start pushing their next generation games and let the customers know what to expect and push what to buy for a new console.
Formally chaynes...
Message 22 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Mar 25, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

You shouldn't really put a Zelda game in RPG news. Since it isn't. People say its an RPG but itsAction/Adventure. The only RPG Zelda was the second one.

Doesn't make it an RPG.

It my eyes it always will be. That said I like the look and if I get get a DS I'll definetly pick it up.

Bad comparison. GTA: SA has absolutely nothing in comparison with RPGs

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Message 23 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Mar 25, 2006

chaynes wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

With E3 now less than 2 months away I do expect a lot of major announcements about games soon as all 3 major players aka Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo start pushing their next generation games and let the customers know what to expect and push what to buy for a new console.

Hopefully there will be some strong turn-based RPGs coming out. By that I mean, gameplay being up to par with graphics. The gap between the two is getting out of hand. Maybe old Vic Ireland will throw in some goodies for one of the consoles, too. Since his site is no longer accessible. Also, the PSP is in dire need of some good RPGs, ports or otherwise, SCEA needs to lighten up on their strict 3D policy up.

Biggest thing I am happy about is that the PS3 will not be region-coded. That means Europe only and Japan only games can be imported and played without modding, which I don't do. 
Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Message 24 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Mar 25, 2006

fs_metal wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

Doesn't make it an RPG.

Which was exactly my point. You wouldn't classify GTA as being an RPG even though it has RPG elements, so you shouldn't classify the Zelda franchise either. You don't even level up in Zelda and before you say HEARTS!!,  you can beat any Zelda game without gaining any hearts. You can't, however, beat any RPG without leveling up. Now, stop arguing. I already said people will believe what they want to believe.

Message Edited by DarkCloudLives on 03-24-200608:00 PM

Message 25 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Mar 25, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

Doesn't make it an RPG.

Which was exactly my point. You wouldn't classify GTA as being an RPG even though it has RPG elements, so you shouldn't classify the Zelda franchise either. You don't even level up in Zelda and before you say HEARTS!! You can beat any Zelda game without gaining any hearts. You can't, however, beat any RPG without leveling up. Now, stop arguing. I already said people will believe what they want to believe.

You can beat RPGs without leveling up.  I have done it with several RPGs. 

Message 26 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6314 posts

Mar 25, 2006

Seiken_Densetsu wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Shadowmyst01 wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

Which was exactly my point. You wouldn't classify GTA as being an RPG even though it has RPG elements, so you shouldn't classify the Zelda franchise either. You don't even level up in Zelda and before you say HEARTS!! You can beat any Zelda game without gaining any hearts. You can't, however, beat any RPG without leveling up. Now, stop arguing. I already said people will believe what they want to believe.

You can beat RPGs without leveling up.  I have done it with several RPGs. 

Just like an Rpg you have to gain hearts just like you have to level because every boss gives out xp.
Message 27 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Mar 25, 2006
To be classified as an RPG, you must have an indepth statistical system, and general choices that are made throughout an adventure.  The only Zelda game that is an RPG is Zelda II: Adventure of Link for its' semi-complex statistical system.  The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, from what we can tell so far, doesn't have the indepth statistical attributes, and therefore, cannot be considered an RPG.

Message 28 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Mar 25, 2006
Can't wait until Phantom Hourglass comes out. I really enjoyed Wind Waker's cel-shaded graphics and I've always wanted a 3-D portable Zelda game.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 29 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Mar 25, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

A joint venture to make serious games? Sounds boring. lol

A new Zelda for DS? I bet it will be really fun. Those screenshots look similar to another Zelda game though, it's not Wind Waker though. Minish Cap? Four Swords maybe?

It is a smaller version of Wind Waker. You can tell by the boat that Link is steering in the movie.

Message Edited by DarkCloudLives on 03-24-200610:45 AM

Except for the boat (which I will admit I didn't notice the first time I looked), I didn't see what was so Wind Waker like about it.  And I can't tell for sure, but that boat in the screenshot does not look like the one in Wind Waker to me. I have since seen the movie and it does in fact remind me of Wind Waker. However the boat looks nothing like the one in WW.

EDIT - after seeing the move in the more recent news I changed the original post to reflect accurately what I think

Message Edited by thebaldduelist on 03-25-200609:27 AM

Message 30 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes