Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 26 2006
By: MrMob~ First Son 2 posts

PC RPG Gamer wanna try out console RPG's

4 replies 2 views Edited Feb 26, 2006
Hey guys,

I need some reccomendations of PS2 RPG's that perhaps resemble PC RPG's.
Maybe one that DOESNT have random battles?

I mean I thourougly enjoyed Fallout 1/2(which also had random battles, but the combat system was so fun) , Plancescape, Arcanaum, Baldurs Gate 1/2, Ultima 4,5,6 , KOTOR 1/2,etc.

but for the life of me i got bored playing FFX which is supposedly one of the best rpg's on ps2? For real?
I also tried out DQ8 and got pissed of the the amount of random battles.

So yeah, what COULD i play on the ps2?
Thanks
Message 1 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Re: PC RPG Gamer wanna try out console RPG's

Feb 26, 2006

MrMob wrote:
Hey guys,

I mean I thourougly enjoyed Fallout 1/2(which also had random battles, but the combat system was so fun) , Plancescape, Arcanaum, Baldurs Gate 1/2, Ultima 4,5,6 , KOTOR 1/2,etc.

but for the life of me i got bored playing FFX which is supposedly one of the best rpg's on ps2? For real?

Thanks

like you, i am also a big fan of p.c. rpg's, (neverwinter nights is my big addiction), but to be able to find something similar on the ps2 will be hard. unlike you i can tolerate random encounters and i still love console rpg's. you might whant to try games like baldurs gate, or champions of norrath, thier hack and slash without randome encounters, but the story is kinda blah.
Message 2 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 26, 2006

MrMob wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Welcome to the Boards MrMob!!! Make sure to check out the New User's Guide on the main page if you have not done so already. I hope you enjoy your time on the boards!!! Esp. the RPG Boards!!!

Now for your topic, I haven't played any PC RPGs, so I would be hard pressed to even know what one was (I did play the first KOTOR on XBox but I really didn't like it). Is it just the random battles that bug you? Are you cool with turn based RPGs?

You could try something like Star Ocean Til the End of Time. Not only does it not have random battles, all enemies are onscreen for you to avoid or fight but the battles are real time. You control one character and the A.I controls two others. You still go to a seperate screen for battle though.

Or maybe an action RPG? Enemies, onscreen and fought right where you find them. Y's The Ark of Napishtim, Kingdom hearts, Forever Kingdom, Shining Tears.... maybe one of those might interest you.

There are also strategy RPGs. These are generally turn based, but take place either on a grid or something gridless with movement radius. Something like Disgaea (or any NIS SRPG), Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1), Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits?

That's all I will list for now. Until I know for sure what you like and don't like. Also if you have any questions on anything I listed, please feel free to ask me.

Message 3 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 26, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

Now for your topic, I haven't played any PC RPGs, so I would be hard pressed to even know what one was (I did play the first KOTOR on XBox but I really didn't like it).

You're kidding right?
Well how do they sa it? Different folks different strokes?

Doesn't matter, anyway as for your reccomendations, I feel tath maybe Star Ocean might be right up my alley.
And yeah, to answer your question, it IS the random battles that are pissing me off. I mean i dont mind random 'encounters' or anything like that, but to move 10 steps then have another fight is going to get me annoyed pretty soon.
I'm not really interested in action RPG's. What is really important is the story line for me.
Thanks
Message 4 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 26, 2006

MrMob wrote:

thebaldduelist wrote:

Now for your topic, I haven't played any PC RPGs, so I would be hard pressed to even know what one was (I did play the first KOTOR on XBox but I really didn't like it).

You're kidding right?
Well how do they sa it? Different folks different strokes?

Doesn't matter, anyway as for your reccomendations, I feel tath maybe Star Ocean might be right up my alley.
And yeah, to answer your question, it IS the random battles that are pissing me off. I mean i dont mind random 'encounters' or anything like that, but to move 10 steps then have another fight is going to get me annoyed pretty soon.
I'm not really interested in action RPG's. What is really important is the story line for me.
Thanks

Yup we are all different, I'm probably in the minority on those things, but that's ok.

Anyway you are quite welcome. Give Star Ocean a try then, it is even a greatest hit now which means it's pretty cheap. I think random encounters are a take it or leave it deal these days. It seems to me that most people either are perfectly fine with them or hate them altogether. (I am fne with them unless the occur every 2 seconds which I have played games that do this) Star Ocean's storyline is decent IMO. If you try out, post about it if you want. I'm always interested in reading what people think about RPGs.

Message 5 of 5 (2 Views)
0 Likes