Reply
Monster Hunter
Registered: 08/09/2004
Offline
42 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 26, 2006
It's just telling you that all clowns are evil.    DragonQuest VIII is a great game...long game but a great game.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/23/2005
Offline
5420 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 26, 2006


dragon672 wrote:
It's just telling you that all clowns are evil.    DragonQuest VIII is a great game...long game but a great game.


I just can't learn to love a great villain that's a clown, for some reason.... well, other than the Joker....
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 02/19/2006
Offline
1495 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 26, 2006
The Joker is awesome. I've yet to play DQVIII, I'm just not sure about it, and Kefka is a meniacal clown.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/23/2005
Offline
5420 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 26, 2006


sephiroth6 wrote:
The Joker is awesome. I've yet to play DQVIII, I'm just not sure about it, and Kefka is a meniacal clown.

Oh yeah, the Joker is friggin' awesome, one of the best villains of all time!  Kefka is.... well.... just a whacko....
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2005
Offline
7716 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 26, 2006


Aeris_Jayle wrote:


fs_metal wrote:


Aeris_Jayle wrote:


fs_metal wrote:
You get used to it. It might even help you appreciate the old school RPGs even more.


Yes, you're right, I do appreciate the old-school more now!

I am glad to hear that. Maybe, when you go back and play FFVI again, you will love it this time arround


Hahaha!  Indeed!  I still don't like the fact that the main villain dresses like a clown, though, and the same goes for Dragon Quest VIII....

I believe hew was once a jester, and that is his reason for dressing like he does

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/19/2002
Offline
4306 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 27, 2006

Aeris_Jayle wrote:
Granted, I love exploring in RPGs, but DQVIII gets really deep into it, making it sometimes hard to play or difficult to get into.... Any thoughts on this?

Personally, I think the blind exploration factor is one of the key elements missing in most "modern" rpgs. One of my favorite things about the genre is being able to uncover the unknown without a push from the story, but it seems as though modern rpgs have all but taken that facet away in favor of small dungeons, mini maps, or story driven action sequences.

In the case of VIII, I think it's a decent blend of being able to wander about freely as one wants, or if one chooses, he or she can follow the trails from one location to the next. The dungeons aren't overly done either, so they're fairly easy to navigate. IMO, it's a good system that I'd like to see being incorporated into more rpgs. I think the real challenge is the combat system being so unbalanced; it's hard to find motivation at times given the frequency of bouts, low EP gained, cheap status altering afflictions, and having a party that's either way too strong or way too weak.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/21/2005
Offline
5401 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 27, 2006


Aeris_Jayle wrote:
I just finally got back to playing Dragon Quest VIII after like a 3-month hiatus (I became quite busy with work, and well, KH2 )....  I love the game to death, it's really good, with a great storyline, and loveable and memorable characters, but it's reeeaaaallly old school when it comes to exploration!  Granted, I love exploring in RPGs, but DQVIII gets really deep into it, making it sometimes hard to play or difficult to get into....  Any thoughts on this?



I love the game to death as well.  I just can't get enough of the gameplay and exploration, and also the beatiful cel-shaded graphics and the overrall feel of the game.  For me, gameplay was number one, and music, characters, and story all took a backseat to gameplay.

Exploration is what I love about it the most!!  I love and love and love Dragon Quest VIII so much just because of its exploration, it keeps me hooked.  I largely prefer exploration like this than any other type, it's just brilliant to me.  The exploration sucks me in like an overpowerd vaccuum; if it didn't have the exploration it does, I'd have a lot harder time getting into it.

Anyway, yes, the exploration in DQVIII is huge and can take a lot of time if you try and explore it, but that's just what I love about it.  Believe it or not, I don't have a problem spending quite a few hours or so, just fighting and exploring the world map, nothing else.  The exploration is that much fun to me.


~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2005
Offline
7716 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 27, 2006


Gunner Yuna wrote:


Aeris_Jayle wrote:
I just finally got back to playing Dragon Quest VIII after like a 3-month hiatus (I became quite busy with work, and well, KH2 )....  I love the game to death, it's really good, with a great storyline, and loveable and memorable characters, but it's reeeaaaallly old school when it comes to exploration!  Granted, I love exploring in RPGs, but DQVIII gets really deep into it, making it sometimes hard to play or difficult to get into....  Any thoughts on this?



I love the game to death as well.  I just can't get enough of the gameplay and exploration, and also the beatiful cel-shaded graphics and the overrall feel of the game.  For me, gameplay was number one, and music, characters, and story all took a backseat to gameplay.

Exploration is what I love about it the most!!  I love and love and love Dragon Quest VIII so much just because of its exploration, it keeps me hooked.  I largely prefer exploration like this than any other type, it's just brilliant to me.  The exploration sucks me in like an overpowerd vaccuum; if it didn't have the exploration it does, I'd have a lot harder time getting into it.

Anyway, yes, the exploration in DQVIII is huge and can take a lot of time if you try and explore it, but that's just what I love about it.  Believe it or not, I don't have a problem spending quite a few hours or so, just fighting and exploring the world map, nothing else.  The exploration is that much fun to me.



This is a large part of the reason why I think yo uwill absolutely love NES and SNES era role playing games. I  think you will dig it. I really do

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/21/2005
Offline
5401 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 27, 2006


fs_metal wrote:


Gunner Yuna wrote:


Aeris_Jayle wrote:
I just finally got back to playing Dragon Quest VIII after like a 3-month hiatus (I became quite busy with work, and well, KH2 )....  I love the game to death, it's really good, with a great storyline, and loveable and memorable characters, but it's reeeaaaallly old school when it comes to exploration!  Granted, I love exploring in RPGs, but DQVIII gets really deep into it, making it sometimes hard to play or difficult to get into....  Any thoughts on this?



I love the game to death as well.  I just can't get enough of the gameplay and exploration, and also the beatiful cel-shaded graphics and the overrall feel of the game.  For me, gameplay was number one, and music, characters, and story all took a backseat to gameplay.

Exploration is what I love about it the most!!  I love and love and love Dragon Quest VIII so much just because of its exploration, it keeps me hooked.  I largely prefer exploration like this than any other type, it's just brilliant to me.  The exploration sucks me in like an overpowerd vaccuum; if it didn't have the exploration it does, I'd have a lot harder time getting into it.

Anyway, yes, the exploration in DQVIII is huge and can take a lot of time if you try and explore it, but that's just what I love about it.  Believe it or not, I don't have a problem spending quite a few hours or so, just fighting and exploring the world map, nothing else.  The exploration is that much fun to me.



This is a large part of the reason why I think yo uwill absolutely love NES and SNES era role playing games. I  think you will dig it. I really do



If the exploration is as great as Dragon Quest VIII's, I'm totally pumped.  I LOVE exploration in DQVIII, I just can't get enough of it.  In fact, I'm at a part where I should have like 10-15 hours I'm guessing, but I have more than 44 hours clocked in, solely due to the marvelous exploration.

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2005
Offline
7716 posts
 

Re: Old-school

Mar 27, 2006


Gunner Yuna wrote:


fs_metal wrote:


Gunner Yuna wrote:


Aeris_Jayle wrote:
I just finally got back to playing Dragon Quest VIII after like a 3-month hiatus (I became quite busy with work, and well, KH2 )....  I love the game to death, it's really good, with a great storyline, and loveable and memorable characters, but it's reeeaaaallly old school when it comes to exploration!  Granted, I love exploring in RPGs, but DQVIII gets really deep into it, making it sometimes hard to play or difficult to get into....  Any thoughts on this?



I love the game to death as well.  I just can't get enough of the gameplay and exploration, and also the beatiful cel-shaded graphics and the overrall feel of the game.  For me, gameplay was number one, and music, characters, and story all took a backseat to gameplay.

Exploration is what I love about it the most!!  I love and love and love Dragon Quest VIII so much just because of its exploration, it keeps me hooked.  I largely prefer exploration like this than any other type, it's just brilliant to me.  The exploration sucks me in like an overpowerd vaccuum; if it didn't have the exploration it does, I'd have a lot harder time getting into it.

Anyway, yes, the exploration in DQVIII is huge and can take a lot of time if you try and explore it, but that's just what I love about it.  Believe it or not, I don't have a problem spending quite a few hours or so, just fighting and exploring the world map, nothing else.  The exploration is that much fun to me.



This is a large part of the reason why I think yo uwill absolutely love NES and SNES era role playing games. I  think you will dig it. I really do



If the exploration is as great as Dragon Quest VIII's, I'm totally pumped.  I LOVE exploration in DQVIII, I just can't get enough of it.  In fact, I'm at a part where I should have like 10-15 hours I'm guessing, but I have more than 44 hours clocked in, solely due to the marvelous exploration.

I cannot promise you that..and it probably isn't....lrgely because it is old now, so the graphics look nowhere near as nice as DQ8

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 33 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes