Feb 18 2006
By: Namesake~ Lombax Warrior 176 posts

Next RPG to play...

11 replies 1 views Edited Feb 18, 2006
So I finished Xenosaga II last night (finally... the ending was pretty sweet though...) and now I'm deciding which game to move onto next...

Here are my options (I own all the games).

Dragon Quest VIII : This would be the game I'd be most likely to start. However, it's so ridiculously long so I want to make sure there are no games that I should play before it since this game would eat up a few months.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne : I got a couple of hours into it then got distracted somehow and I haven't played since...

Digital Devil Saga 1: Bought the special edition and haven't opened it.

Suikoden IV : I played this for a bit but the ridiculous world map with the ships really pissed me off... However, should I beat it now that suikoden V is coming out (and how V actually looks somewhat good)?

Shadow Heart: Covenant : I've been really interested in this game but I've been hesitant about playing it since I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of the first one yet and I wasn't sure if I should play the 1st one before...

Jade Empire : Bought it, playead a couple of hours then got really pissed off at almost everything in the game. Still, is it worth going back? will it grow on me? I liked KOTOR alot but this game was just ridiculous.

Any comments anyone?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/Stormenmormon/post-23-1080529357.jpg
Message 1 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Re: Next RPG to play...

Feb 18, 2006
If you play one and complete it, will you move onto the next one?

This is my opinion on the order you should play the games in:

Dragon Quest VIII
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Digital Devil Saga
Suikoden IV
Jade Empire
Message 2 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
176 posts

Feb 18, 2006
Yeah, I'll move onto the next one after I beat them. I already own all those games so I have to beat them at some point (except Jade Empire... I might never go back to that... such a dissapointment...).

I was just wondering if I should play suikoden 4 first since 5 is coming out... but if 5 has nothing to do with it then I might not... Still... even though the gameplay sucks, I want to know what happens in the story...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/Stormenmormon/post-23-1080529357.jpg
Message 3 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2513 posts

Feb 18, 2006

Namesake wrote:
So I finished Xenosaga II last night (finally... the ending was pretty sweet though...) and now I'm deciding which game to move onto next...

Here are my options (I own all the games).

Dragon Quest VIII : This would be the game I'd be most likely to start. However, it's so ridiculously long so I want to make sure there are no games that I should play before it since this game would eat up a few months.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne : I got a couple of hours into it then got distracted somehow and I haven't played since...

Digital Devil Saga 1: Bought the special edition and haven't opened it.

Suikoden IV : I played this for a bit but the ridiculous world map with the ships really pissed me off... However, should I beat it now that suikoden V is coming out (and how V actually looks somewhat good)?

Shadow Heart: Covenant : I've been really interested in this game but I've been hesitant about playing it since I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of the first one yet and I wasn't sure if I should play the 1st one before...

Jade Empire : Bought it, playead a couple of hours then got really pissed off at almost everything in the game. Still, is it worth going back? will it grow on me? I liked KOTOR alot but this game was just ridiculous.

Any comments anyone?

I'd say no, don't play Suikoden 4, you'll be very dissapointed and end up quiting it half way through since you have way better other games to play.

I am currently playing DQ8 so i'm pretty sure you will have a good time with it, it will keep you busy for a long time.

G.A.P member since Jan 23, 2004
t
Message 4 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Feb 19, 2006
I would go with DQ8

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Message 5 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 19, 2006

fs_metal wrote:
I would go with DQ8

I second that.

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Message 6 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10627 posts

Feb 19, 2006
Well you can either play them one after the other in the order you written them...or skip right into SH2, it's an awesome game well in my opinion...i do recommend you try part 1 though cause you might be missing out on a lot of cool things. But you wont need to play it order to understand part 2...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 7 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 19, 2006
I did not come to liking to any one of them but I would suggest Digital Devil Saga first. Then Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
Message 8 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6314 posts

Feb 19, 2006
Depends on what you want. Lighthearted rpg would be DQ8 then Suikoden 4. Darker would be Shadow Hearts: Covenant or Digital Devil Saga 1 then SMT:Nocturne. In that order. Jade Empire would be last IMO.

Message Edited by Shadowmyst01 on 02-19-200607:02 AM

Message 9 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1624 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Well, how did you find Xenosaga? If you liked that one, then I' highly recommend SH: C. It is a very story driven (thought not as much as Xeno, but its battle system beat Xeno II to no end heh) and it is definitely one of the most fun RPG on market. Dragon Quest is more game play oriented and does give more play time than most of the games you listed. However I found its story not to be very exciting at all and I myself enjoyed SH: C more. Mostly because I play RPG for story, and DQ doesn’t satisfy me.

Message 10 of 12 (1 View)
0 Likes