Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 18 2006
By: digikoto Fender Bender 4200 posts

NPCs and the adventures of Arbitrary Nonsense!

29 replies 1 views Edited Feb 18, 2006
I swear RPGs should cut down on the number of NPCs by at least 60%.. I couldn't care LESS if you were raised in Dazil old man?? SHUT UP!!!! You are wasting my time!!!!!!!!

Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2513 posts

Re: NPCs and the adventures of Arbitrary Nonsense!

Feb 18, 2006

Blaq wrote:
I swear RPGs should cut down on the number of NPCs by at least 60%.. I couldn't care LESS if you were raised in Dazil old man?? SHUT UP!!!! You are wasting my time!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean, sometimes they give a good history lesson or a hint on what to do next, but I could care less if "The weather is nice today" And what is up with the NPC animals. 100% of the time if you see a dog in a game and talk to it, he will say "bark"

G.A.P member since Jan 23, 2004
t
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Blaq wrote:

I like NPCs in my RPGs, because I like to learn more about the history of the area/world as well any other interesting information. :smileyhappy:  In my first three RPGs, Tales of Symphonia, FFX, and FFX-2, respectively, there was not a single NPC I failed to talk to.

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1831 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Blaq wrote:

I like NPCs in my RPGs, because I like to learn more about the history of the area/world as well any other interesting information. :smileyhappy:  In my first three RPGs, Tales of Symphonia, FFX, and FFX-2, respectively, there was not a single NPC I failed to talk to.

i agree gunner, i dont mind the NPC's either. i definitely don't talk to them all, but its part of the rpg, to have people and animals to talk to, and they say things sometimes which may not even relate to the game..... i like to see what some of them say though....

also in some games when you talk to an NPC's you can get special scenes or items and stuff, so i like that... a little incentive to walk around towns and talk to some of the people there...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 19, 2006

blitz ace wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Blaq wrote:

i agree gunner, i dont mind the NPC's either. i definitely don't talk to them all, but its part of the rpg, to have people and animals to talk to, and they say things sometimes which may not even relate to the game..... i like to see what some of them say though....

also in some games when you talk to an NPC's you can get special scenes or items and stuff, so i like that... a little incentive to walk around towns and talk to some of the people there...

Yes, and part of what makes an RPG "fantasy" are the NPCs that talk of the fantasy world in which they live.... It's truly enjoyable to me.  Sometimes when I'm playing late at night and I'm sleepy, I just want to relax, not do any active things or battle or anything else that uses my brain much.  It is then that I just like taking time talking to all the NPCs, while relaxing and learning more about the world/history etc...

A lot of NPCs that I've talked to sometimes even have quite amusing/funny things to say. :smileyvery-happy:  It can be a fun experience sometimes.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Gunner Yuna wrote:

blitz ace wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Blaq wrote:

Yes, and part of what makes an RPG "fantasy" are the NPCs that talk of the fantasy world in which they live.... It's truly enjoyable to me.  Sometimes when I'm playing late at night and I'm sleepy, I just want to relax, not do any active things or battle or anything else that uses my brain much.  It is then that I just like taking time talking to all the NPCs, while relaxing and learning more about the world/history etc...

A lot of NPCs that I've talked to sometimes even have quite amusing/funny things to say. :smileyvery-happy:  It can be a fun experience sometimes.

Worthwhile NPCs are one thing.  But the ones that babble on about nothing drive me nuts.  They are a time waster. 

If you like NPCs that immerse you into the game, you should play Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.  Now that is worthwhile NPCs who have alot of good chat and good info about the land.
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Blaq wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

blitz ace wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

Blaq wrote:

Worthwhile NPCs are one thing.  But the ones that babble on about nothing drive me nuts.  They are a time waster. 

If you like NPCs that immerse you into the game, you should play Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.  Now that is worthwhile NPCs who have alot of good chat and good info about the land.

Yes, pointless NPCs can be very annoying.  *Animal Crossing comes to mind, a game that nearly pushes NPC talking as the main event*  <<That can get very annoying, especially when your village is filled with babbling idiots. >_<

My friend showed me a trailer of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and the NPC AI was quite impressive.  The trailer showed the character flirting with a girl, and the AI there looked very promising. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Feb 19, 2006
I like NCPs, provided they give useful information. Otherwise, they are just annoying.  When I talk to one, they should give me information or history or something, not "Hi my name is John. I like cheese. Do you like cheese? Cheese is good"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5797 posts

Feb 19, 2006

I guess you failed to live in an RPG community, Blaq. You did not make the RPG your own world. you only thought of RPG as just a story instead of a world. In our real life there's always a lot of babbling and empty talking. You won't find worthiness in some NPCs, but if you make an RPG home, and truly 'live' in there, you'll need all the NPCs in the world to talk to. It's because you'll thought the RPG as your second world, your second community, just like this forums.

Your role in there is not only to save the world. It's to live within the world. RPGs to me are worlds, worlds I want to live in, worlds I want to know about. My escapade, my soul...

www.myspace.com/calamity_my_fantasy

Want a link? Go to hell.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7853 posts

Feb 19, 2006
Oftentimes NPCs fall on my list of favorite characters in a certain RPG. For example, the antics Rajin and Fujin provided in FF VIII were terrific. Another NPC (though you technically get to use him for a short period of time) is also quite possibly one of my most favorite characers of all time. That of course being Maester Seymour from FF X.

I understand what you are saying about the "scenery" NPCs who spout out often random nonsensical phrases, but that could be easily delt with. Just think of them as what I referred to them as, scenery. Most of them serve no other purpose except for that. But then you get the ganes that make you talk to the most random, unsuspected people to further the story. That's really what starts to get on my nerves after a while. But just think of it this way, if those silly NPCs weren't there, you'd probably be complaining about how bland and boring the towns were . The NPCs are, in man cases, what sets the feeling of the town, either by moping around because they were decimated by a rival country, or by just letting the player know that they are in a different country and give them info about the curious new race that they've been introduced to.

I personally view NPCs as a VITAL part of an RPG, mainly because they are what ultimately sets the tone. You don't really get the feeling of immersement when there aren't random NPCs running around wildly during an attack (i.e Galbadia v.s Balamb Garden in FF VIII), or something of the sort.
Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 30 (1 View)
0 Likes