Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 17 2006
By: Carbonox_Ratchet Shinra Executive 45517 posts

Latest RPG Purchase - Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call/Nocturne

10 replies 1 views Edited Feb 17, 2006
I went into town today for the main purpose of picking up Shadow of the Colossus which came out here yesterday. I also wanted to pick up ICO but then found Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call on the shelf...the ONLY copy in store and it was half-price too...ICO could wait. :smileytongue:

I only played a bit of it but that bit really got me attached, the storyline, the characters, the whole "Devil" theme going on, everything. The "Devil" theme plus the RPG gameplay is what made me buy it. The gameplay is pretty good and the fact that you can ask other demons to join your team is great. However, I haven't got much to say as I haven't played much but I will tell more once I get a good few hours in!

Comments?
Message 1 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Re: Latest RPG Purchase - Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call/Nocturne

Feb 17, 2006
It's a great game. Very dark, and some disturbing scenes. Not your run of the mill RPG. Quite challenging and strategic. Dante's in it too..Big Plus.
Message 2 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12042 posts

Feb 18, 2006
    Yes, SMT Nocturne or Lucifers Call as they call it in Euroland is a great game. I pre-ordered the game way back when along w/ the official guide book. Funny thing is I never buy the quide books but for some reason I thought I should.

The first week I had Nocturne it was in my PS2 none stop while I was nocturnal. Starting the game is so much fun and immersive. The theme is unique, characters are intersting, gameplay takes a little to get used to (spell names etc cause everything is opposite the norm), the recruitment program is wicked to say the least and overall SMT Nocturne is an excellent game. Its by far one of my favorite RPGs ever released on the PS2. But I ended up getting hung up on the game & Ive yet to get back into it. Just cant quite get past this one boss, perhaps I should actually use that book I bought lol.

But you bring up a good subject. I should look into getting back or trying to get back into SMT Nocturne. I cant buy Grandia III in town and have yet to play anything for a month cause Ive been wanting to play Grandia; well and just taking a breather from gaming lol. But Ive checked every day all week and niether Shopko or Walmart carry or have received Grandia III yet. And since I have cards for both stores along w/ some new games that need to be exchanged thats the only way I can get Grandia III atm. Actually Ive been fuming about that fact recently. But indeed, perhaps I should try to take up SMT Nocturne again. Its a great game and something I definitely need to start playing again and finish.

Message 3 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1922 posts

Feb 18, 2006
What bit I played (about 8 hours) of SMT: Nocturne, I really enjoyed. I honestly don't even remember why I stopped playing it. I liked the characters and the darker themes of the game. The only thing I found confusing was the demon fusion part of the game. I think I need a cheat-sheet for that. I really need to play this again sometime, but I'll probably have to start over from the begining, as I wont remember that much of what the heck was going on.
Message 4 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 18, 2006

sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:
Yes, SMT Nocturne or Lucifers Call as they call it in Euroland is a great game. I pre-ordered the game way back when along w/ the official guide book. Funny thing is I never buy the quide books but for some reason I thought I should.

The first week I had Nocturne it was in my PS2 none stop while I was nocturnal. Starting the game is so much fun and immersive. The theme is unique, characters are intersting, gameplay takes a little to get used to (spell names etc cause everything is opposite the norm), the recruitment program is wicked to say the least and overall SMT Nocturne is an excellent game. Its by far one of my favorite RPGs ever released on the PS2. But I ended up getting hung up on the game & Ive yet to get back into it. Just cant quite get past this one boss, perhaps I should actually use that book I bought lol.

But you bring up a good subject. I should look into getting back or trying to get back into SMT Nocturne. I cant buy Grandia III in town and have yet to play anything for a month cause Ive been wanting to play Grandia; well and just taking a breather from gaming lol. But Ive checked every day all week and niether Shopko or Walmart carry or have received Grandia III yet. And since I have cards for both stores along w/ some new games that need to be exchanged thats the only way I can get Grandia III atm. Actually Ive been fuming about that fact recently. But indeed, perhaps I should try to take up SMT Nocturne again. Its a great game and something I definitely need to start playing again and finish.

I've been playing Final Fantasy X for about 80 hours and having such fun with it and this is my second playthrough of the game. However, it's time to move I think as I've done most of the game and decided that a new RPG should be the target. BUT I still have Shadow Hearts and Xenosaga II that haven't been touched. :smileytongue: I also bought Shadow of the Colossus as it came out yesterday so I need to play that too. Considering RPG's are longer, I'll play Shadow of the Colossus first and THEN play Lucifer's Call and I can't wait. Any game heavily influenced by demons and a game with Dante in it WARRANTS a play from me.
Message 5 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 18, 2006

carbonox_ratchet wrote:
I went into town today for the main purpose of picking up Shadow of the Colossus which came out here yesterday. I also wanted to pick up ICO but then found Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call on the shelf...the ONLY copy in store and it was half-price too...ICO could wait. :smileytongue:

I only played a bit of it but that bit really got me attached, the storyline, the characters, the whole "Devil" theme going on, everything. The "Devil" theme plus the RPG gameplay is what made me buy it. The gameplay is pretty good and the fact that you can ask other demons to join your team is great. However, I haven't got much to say as I haven't played much but I will tell more once I get a good few hours in!

Comments?

I am glad you finally got it. I know you have been wanting it. I really enjoyed the game as you already know. Let me know what you think of the scene where you first encounter you know who. lol (when you get that far)

EDIT - You know that fairy/pixie girl you get early on? Word of advice, when the game gives the choice to let her go, don't do it. Always keep her the whole game, you will need her late in the game for something.

Message Edited by thebaldduelist on 02-18-200608:51 AM

Message 6 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 18, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Comments?

I am glad you finally got it. I know you have been wanting it. I really enjoyed the game as you already know. Let me know what you think of the scene where you first encounter you know who. lol (when you get that far)

EDIT - You know that fairy/pixie girl you get early on? Word of advice, when the game gives the choice to let her go, don't do it. Always keep her the whole game, you will need her late in the game for something.

Message Edited by thebaldduelist on 02-18-200608:51 AM

Yeah when I got to that bit, I kept her with me but the purpose was that I was all alone with no one else in the party LOL. She is quite useful as her Thunder and Healing commands are great. By the way, what did you name your character? I went for something completely unoriginal and named him "Vergil Sparda" and nicknamed him "Ifrit".
Message 7 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 18, 2006

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Comments?

You little evil heathen.....

Shin Megami games are really good about things like that. I enjoy them also.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 8 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 18, 2006

banedraven wrote:

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Comments?

You little evil heathen.....

Shin Megami games are really good about things like that. I enjoy them also.

Unfortunately for me, any game with demons/devils and I'll jump on them like a horny dog to a leg.
Message 9 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 20, 2006

carbonox_ratchet wrote:

Yeah when I got to that bit, I kept her with me but the purpose was that I was all alone with no one else in the party LOL. She is quite useful as her Thunder and Healing commands are great. By the way, what did you name your character? I went for something completely unoriginal and named him "Vergil Sparda" and nicknamed him "Ifrit".

Hmmmm, I can't remember what I called him. I hate naming things and he didn't have a default as far as I can recall, so I probably either made a gag name or if I was totally uncreative at the time, named him my own name.

Message 10 of 11 (1 View)
0 Likes