Feb 26 2010
By: colstripcapn Uncharted Territory 2065 posts

Last Rebellion Reviews

6 replies 11 views Edited Feb 26, 2010

Well, no one is saying anything about the game so I dug around for so-called 'professional' opinions, errm, 'reviews'. I'd really like to hear with actual turn-based loving players think of it.

Metacritic - 55/100

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/lastrebellion 

Destructoid - 5/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-last-rebellion-164935.phtml

RPGamer - 1.5/5

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/lastrebellion/lastrebellion/reviews/lastrebellionstrev1.html

Common complaints appear to be awful graphics (who cares?), poor story (this is a bummer), short (20 hours), difficulty (hard to start, very easy in the end). The scores are what I thought they would be, low/average, but I don't really care about them. The 'big boys' in reviews haven't said anything (IGN (lol), Game Informer, Gamespot, etc).

Turn-based is my favorite type of RPG so I'm crossing my fingers for this title. Anyone here play it yet? What are your thoughts on it?

Message 1 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2748 posts

Re: Last Rebellion Reviews

Feb 26, 2010
I never pay attention to reviews! I preordered the game and will play through it and decide for myself. I also am playing WKC which has gotten poor reviews and I am really enjoying it alot more then the dumbass reviewers said I would.
image hosted by ImageVenue.com

CURRENT FLAVOR: SOUR DIESEL
Message 2 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

Feb 26, 2010
Yeah, this is what I was expecting from the developer. Hit Maker has only mad a handful of RPGs and the general opnion among gamers seems to be that they are all awful. I plan to give the game a chance but am waiting for it to hit the bargain bin. I don't think that will take too long.
Message 3 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7121 posts

Feb 26, 2010

Well, I definitely agree about the poor graphics.  Both the game graphics and the menu system seemed very...PSPish to me.

As for the story/gameplay, there are definitely some interesting elements:  (no spoilers outside of what you get from reading the booklet that comes with the game)

First of all, there are two warring gods, the god of death and the god of life (seems commonplace), but at least in this game, the god of death and his followers are the "good" guys.  Other than that, the story seems pretty generic so far (for example: one main character is the adopted son of the king, but he doesn't know his real family).

Secondly, there's an interesting way that they deal with the two main characters---each battle round you must use both main characters and they each have different physical/magic attacks.   They also have unique special abilities and at least one of them ("sealing") must be used to permanently kill your undead enemies.

I've only played a couple of hours and my main complaint (besides for the terrible graphics) is the limitation of "CP" or chain points.  In the game, each physical attack is done against a specific body part and each body part you hit uses up one CP.  Magic attacks will affect only the body parts you "stamped" with a physical attack and they don't take CP, but then to really finally kill the enemies after they fall, you need to "seal" their bodies, which also takes 1 CP per enemy.  Battles against multiple enemies can quickly use up CP and since there are random encounters (hate them!), you really need to manage CP wisely...

AmnesiaInnocent Trophy Card
Message 4 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Feb 26, 2010
Damn, this game really that bad? I will have to see for myself. Everyone said WKC sucked and were wrong. I can only hope the same, but with these kinds of scores.....whoo.
Message 5 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 26, 2010

Thought the same thing.  I'm four planets into SO4 and loving it.  I think it is the best SO so far(haven't play 2 yet).  It seems trendy to bash JRPGs this gen.  I don't think the graphics, story, battle system, or characters of WKC and SO4 are all that bad.  Sure, they don't do much new for the genre outside of a graphics jump.  But they sure the heck aren't as terrible as the "word on the net".

YukitoKunisaki wrote:
Damn, this game really that bad? I will have to see for myself. Everyone said WKC sucked and were wrong. I can only hope the same, but with these kinds of scores.....whoo.

Message 6 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1152 posts

Feb 26, 2010

YukitoKunisaki wrote:

well, i'm playing it right now and i can say confidently that the game does suck in the graphics department,storywise is a so so type of story,and  the gameplay is somewhat interesting but the menus can be a bit tiring ...you know after you kill the monsters you gotta seal them so that they wont come back alive.the plus side of it is that you get a bit of hp when sealing and a lil bit of mp with absorbing and as for cp you can recover it from a special "green bar" that is placed  in a few places over the maps or you can use a spell that allows you to recover it lil by lil...but yeah, overall the game is pretty mediocre and a grindfest too because the monsters are strong even at the beggining(which im at now)

its kind of ironic that such crap is made by a software developer called hitmaker HEHE

Photobucket
Message 7 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes