Jun 21 2010
By: Videogameaddict2 Fender Bender 4252 posts

JRPG shortage this generation? Taken over by FPS's? Discuss

12 replies 35 views Edited Jun 21, 2010

We all were aware that the PlayStation 2 has an immensely huge selection of JRPG's (Japanese Role-Playing Game). However something I'm noticing this generation is there are hardly any JRPG's really right now. You're seeing more shooters (Specifically 1st-person shooters) than JRPG's. What are your thoughts on this and should they start making more JRPG's to clear the shortage? I think it's a bad thing as fans of JRPG's have hardly anything to really play this generation and we need to start getting more JRPG's out there. We already have enough shooters this generation but not enough JRPG's.

Message 1 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Re: JRPG shortage this generation? Taken over by FPS's? Discuss

Jun 21, 2010

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

We all were aware that the PlayStation 2 has an immensely huge selection of JRPG's (Japanese Role-Playing Game). However something I'm noticing this generation is there are hardly any JRPG's really right now. You're seeing more shooters (Specifically 1st-person shooters) than JRPG's. What are your thoughts on this and should they start making more JRPG's to clear the shortage? I think it's a bad thing as fans of JRPG's have hardly anything to really play this generation and we need to start getting more JRPG's out there. We already have enough shooters this generation but not enough JRPG's.

It is sad to see, but yes, there is a major shortage compared to the previous playstations. We still have some, but most of them still have a shooter element to them, and don't hit the "traditional" RPG style with me. Most call turnbase dated, but you know, I loved it. I grew up with it, and I would love to see more of them this gen.

....strike that. I would love to see one this gen. (In that particular light)

Message 2 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
802 posts

Jun 21, 2010

honestly FPS is the way to make fast cash these days specially with upgrade weapons crap ,DLC.

i my self a hard core fps fan but i cant take it any more ,most of fps these days are play the same wondering why people buying them 

uncharted 2 multiplayer was the only exception it was different  in game mechanics,mods

also not everyone these days can sit for hours and hours for grinding,level up,..etc ,with live responsibility its really difficult to commitment playing for many hours just for passing one chapter,notice that i read an article mention that RPG cost much more than other genre games(voice actors,heavy cut scene ,well written story,30+ game long)

believe it or not most gamers want TAKE AWAY games 

Message 3 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
8174 posts

Jun 21, 2010

The way I see it is JRPGs are simply not financially viable for many companies. I don't have specific figures to compare between the PS2 and PS3 but I belive that devlopment costs are much higher on the PS3.

So while a devloper on the PS2 could make niche JRPG games, sell a moderate amount of titles and still turn a profit - it's probably not possible on the PS3.

That's why I think we see so many Japanese developers obsessed with making "western" games. SE and Namco-Bandai are probably 2 of the most prominent development studios that are focusing on appealing to western gamers.

There may be a ray of hope though in the form of the PSN. One way of saving development costs could possibly be embracing  the digital download model. Developers could choose to make full-feature games or smaller titles. Another option is episodic content - releasing a game in pieces on the PSN. It sucks for collectors like me who enjoy owning the disc, with bonus materials, etc. But if it saves a fading genre so be it.

Message 4 of 13 (35 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Jun 21, 2010

Honestly, I'm not noticing the shortage.  Possibly because I have other systems, and invest in other genres.  In truth, I only own VC and Demon's Souls on ps3, and only one jrpg on my other current gen console, and know that if I want more, I can easily get more.  But for someone who's played every ps3 jrpg, I suppose that would be a problem.  True, fps seem to have taken over, and I do think they have a good fanbase.  But I think fps have become a bit of a fad for some, due to the ability to play them online.  Once that novelty wears off, who knows?  For now, it's a popular genre, and that's why we're seeing a lot of them.  But a few years down the road, who knows?

On the other hand, look me in the eye and tell me that jrpgs don't exist in large quantities on handhelds.  That may not be everyone's preferred method of enjoying an rpg, but with Sony continuing to push their psp, and their competitor releasing a new handheld, new rpgs won't look terrible, and I don't play them for the graphics anyways.  Anyways, it's not like jrpgs are non-existent on consoles.  With the occasional rpg that's truly beautiful and cinematic being released on current gen systems, it's not as if developers will completely ignore consoles as a resource to create a certain kind of masterpiece that requires them, even if handhelds take off even more, while consoles continue to decline for the genre. 

And of course, there are digital downloads.  Not only are classics being released, but there have been one or two new releases on psn as well.  It doesn't seem like Japanese developers are big on it right now, though I don't doubt that a ton more downloadable jrpgs exist in Japan.  But maybe it'll pick up more in the near future, or at the very least, maybe a lot more will be released in NA.  With digital downloads, used game sales don't exist, because the product cannot be resold.  Plus, it doesn't cost as much to develop, since physical copies don't have to be produced, and it can't be sold out.  In general, I think it would be a good idea for developers of any genre to take advantage of dlc, though I don't think disc based gaming will be a lost art either. 

I don't think jrpgs will suddenly disappear entirely on any system anytime soon.  I think we should just cross that bridge when we get there.  Anyways, this gen is far from over, and I'm certain that at the rate the ps3 is selling, it'll do well.  Keep in mind, the ps2 had a decade worth of sales figures, so of course it was a good platform to develop for.  If the ps3 does in fact stick around that long, I think it'll be more attractive for Japanese developers to release games for it.  I recommend waiting patiently, revisiting old favourites, downloading classics from playstation store, and/or investing in at least one other system, preferably a handheld. 

Message 5 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
435 posts

Jun 21, 2010
Well, there is one thing hard to make for an RPG- replayability.

People are more willing to buy FPS because they have competition, online, and usually a campaign. RPGs, though, can't really have that (to a certain extent.) People want bang for their buck, these days. Sure, good RPGs can last for around a good 150 hours, but FPS have unlimited replayability.
Message 6 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Jun 21, 2010

Well, for one FPS are way easier to make, just sopy and paste the same formula from other games and tweak it a bit and there you go, instant FPS, of course you still have to make the online segment and all.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Message 7 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Jun 21, 2010

Myth384 wrote:

Well, for one FPS are way easier to make, just sopy and paste the same formula from other games and tweak it a bit and there you go, instant FPS, of course you still have to make the online segment and all.

Indeed, FPS are for the most part cheap and easy to make, most of the money is spent on marketing campaigns.  RPGs require much more testing, planning etc...

FPS are popular the same reason McDonalds is popular, cheap, easy and makes people with good taste sick

hexpane
"Live your life, soaking up all my sunshine"-
-------------
Message 8 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Jun 22, 2010

It might help to understand that RPGs also have a much larger development cycle then FPS games. When the PS3 was finally shipped, i knew the only RPGs we would see were going to be ports due to time constraints and the developmental difficulties that Sony consoles usually bring to the table.

RPGs usually tend to have much more in the way of extra things to do, like crafting, and that brings up the grinding issues that most people don't care for. FPS = pick up spawned gun and shoot. Much less to have to worry about.

I for one am glad that we finally have seen more then a handful finally developed, and seeing posts by SlashKazu and others who update us with future RPG releases gives me hope that at least we are seeing a moderate trend with regards to the future.

For the rest, i agree with those who say it's the money that's hurting the genre the most. While i would like to see more in the way of RPGs created, i'm not going to hold my breath. I'll be happy with what we are fortunate enough to get.

In both the PS1 and PS2 early cycles, we saw Sony deliver 1st party RPGs. I think the fact we are yet to see one on the PS3 is a telling stat as to what they think, and i have to say it's highly disappointing. Getting the 1st party PS1 RPG classics is fine, but they are purposely neglicting their RPG fanbase.

Message 9 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11294 posts

Jun 22, 2010

RPGs are not dying nor will they ever completely die out. I love how the JRPG onry crowd dismisses entirely the Western developed RPG. More games are going hybrid in an effort to boost sales and draw in new blood. It might seem like there are more FPS titles being developed as opposed to RPGs and to an extent that's right. However FPS are not the biggest game out there and it is a bit unfortunate that the greatest portion of RPGs are coming out for the 2 handheld systems than for the current generation of home systems. 

I know I keep mentioning that RPGs are a niche genre. A top rated RPG will generally sell less than half the copies that an equally rated Action or shooter game will sell. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon (forgive me my sins) are the only RPGs that consistantly sell in excess of 1 million copies.

Most Japanese RPGs do not, have not and likely never will make it over to the US.

We can sit here and list all the great RPGs out there for the Playstation systems, but outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest how many other RPGs (on the Playstation systems) have ever broken the 1 million mark? Very few. Few Japanese companies feel it's viable for them to export their games. Many don't have the resources nor the support to bring those games here even if they did want to.

Games that have broken the 1 million mark (which seems to be the "standard" for judging a great selling game of any genre)

Playstation: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFT, DQVII, DQIV, Xenogears, Arc the Lad, Arc the Lad II,  Star Ocean 2, Parasite Eve, Parasite Eve II, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Cross

Playstation 2: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, DQV, DQVIII, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Dirge of Cerberus, Star Ocean: Until the End of Time, Xenosaga I

Playstation Portable: FFVII: Crisis Core.

Playstation 3: Final Fantasy XIII

There maybe a couple of others that I'm missing that have broken the million mark, let alone multi-million. 26 Sony RPGs that have broken that mark. 9 are Final Fantasy. 4 are Dragon Quest. 23 of the 26 are from Square/Enix. 24 RPG hits on 2 systems. Out of how many games that have broken the million mark? Game for game, RPGs have consitantly undersold all other genres. But that does not mean that the RPG genre is dead.

Message 10 of 13 (35 Views)
0 Likes