Mar 17 2012
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 10745 posts

Isn't anyone else playing Tales of Graces F?

39 replies 504 views Edited Mar 17, 2012

With too little discussion and reviews turning in at a crawl, it feels almost as if there aren't many gamers engaged in Namco's latest role-playing opus. A demo for the game or even trailers haven't been surfacing on the PlayStation Store, so it's easy to see as far as marketing purposes goes this game isn't equipped as well as those in big business who let the ads and such do to talking for them.

Never having tried a Tales game before, I was counting on a demo myself to see if this RPG really would be something of interest. And not having that, the thought of not forking out money for an unfamiliar RPG franchise did come up briefly. However, I've been enjoying the game so far and am curious to see if anyone else is doing the same.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Re: Isn't anyone else playing Tales of Graces F?

Mar 17, 2012

i was really interested in this game. however i have never played a tales game so i was kinda iffy about it the more i saw trailers for it the more i got put off by it... i dont know i think its the whole graphics things, all it is is a wii port. i didnt buy a ps3 to play last gen graphic games. but maybe if they put a demo out it might change my mind. i know theres one in the japanese store but i would like an english version please.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10745 posts

Mar 17, 2012

If you like anime-grade cel-shaded visuals that are not the best ever but won't disappoint, I'd say you have nothing to worry about graphics-wise. Compared to Eternal Sonata (my favorite RPG from this generation), Tales of Graces F doesn't have that kind of awe-inspiring beauty to take your breath away... but it does do a fair job overall.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 18, 2012

Glad you are enjoying your first foray into the Tales series. I have been a fan since Eternia on the PS1, from there I have almost all the games since. If you continue enjoying what Graces has to offer you, I also recommend Tales of the Abyss. A lot of ppl will also tend to recommend Symphonia but since Abyss was a more recent release on the PS2 and a revised 3D release on the 3DS, it just seems like it would be easier to play and get a hold of. Great characters, story, gameplay, voice acting and artwork.

Honestly, I really don't think America will get a demo of this game. It was a difficult choice for Namco to even release it stateside and supposedly the sales for Graces will determine the series future on American soil. The Tales of the Abyss sales may as well, not sure. Unfortunately, the fan base for the series is not what it could be or in fact is in Japan. Hopefully the game does well though and Namco will still continue to release the series in the US, Tales of Xillia is looking quite beautiful in fact. So as to the demo, I just don't believe they will be releasing one over here due to the aforementioned 'reasons' and the little faith that Namco has in general about their RPG series continuing to thrive and do well in the US.

So, hopefully you guys and others will enjoy the game if you did purchase it or at least give it a try even without the demo and enjoy the series as I and others have since they've been releasing them over here. We can always use new fans. ^_-

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Mar 18, 2012

Sorry Gray but I'm not a fan of the Tales of series to start with. I have tried 3 of them. Tales of the Abyss (heinous), Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (which wasn't bad) and Tales of Vesperia (not bad). My biggest issue is the combat system. The item creation process is a pain in the tail. Well maybe not really a pain, just not very good in my opinion.

Because of the combat system I just can't get into it. Sorry bro.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10745 posts

Mar 19, 2012

This one's not a bad one either, Papa. The battle system does take some getting used to, and it could use some work... but all together, I'm glad to say the game doesn't come across as a disappointment. I'm looking forward to see where the story goes from here, after about eight hours into the game.

Speaking of developments, the item creation process is very easy. I'm not sure how the earlier games handled it, but here you basically select one item from the menu and then another for an automated infusion. It's not overly complicated, and once you learn how to make gems, it becomes the kind of setup you can find yourself happy with.

I was also thinking of possibly picking up the recent Tales of Abyss update when finished with Graces. That of course would depend on the timing and whether or not there's a more relevant gaming matter to attend to (based on what other releases are of interest at the time).

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I picked up the last copy at a Best Buy. I've searched several retailers for the game, Namco Bandai aren't shipping alot of copies. When I asked someone if they had the game they told me they would be receiving 2 in a couple days. That's pitiful.

I've only played an hour and am enjoying the setting and the characters.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5577 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I have the game, but I haven't started it yet, I am still in the middle of another game, so I wanted to finish that first, but Tales game usually have a really good story to them, they are good games I find.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Got it on the release day.  Pre-ordered from Gamestop back in August, and got some bonuses as well.  It's a good game and makes some changes to the way how battles work.  Like how instead of TP to do artes you relay on CC that is rechargeable, nice though in games before it you had the power to use healing artes outside of the battle... and as it is now you can't do that.  And it took a while to get use to the controls compared to games from before.  You had the power to use the left or right sides of the movement controls to go towards or away from the opponet, and up made you jump giving you a way to attack foes from the air.  Now up is to go towards the foe, down to go away, and with the guard left and right has you quick step to the left or right.

Then there is the combat.  It is a great combat system when compared to most RPGs.  If there is one thing that is great about it is how you can play with other people.  I started with Symphonia and with the ability to play with my sis is why this series is one of my favorites of the RPG games.  And I would agree with Usagi-hime's recommendations.  If anything I find it sad that Graces f isn't getting much advertisment as other games.  For games like Mass Effect 3 (not a fan) I keep hearing about the pre-order extras you can get with the game over and over again, but for Tales of Graces f... I haven't seen anything like that.  We only pre-ordered it just to get it, but I didn't know of any pre-order extras.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 40 (504 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10745 posts

Mar 19, 2012

TheBlackDragoon wrote:

Got it on the release day.  Pre-ordered from Gamestop back in August, and got some bonuses as well.  It's a good game and makes some changes to the way how battles work.  Like how instead of TP to do artes you relay on CC that is rechargeable, nice though in games before it you had the power to use healing artes outside of the battle... and as it is now you can't do that.  And it took a while to get use to the controls compared to games from before.  You had the power to use the left or right sides of the movement controls to go towards or away from the opponet, and up made you jump giving you a way to attack foes from the air.  Now up is to go towards the foe, down to go away, and with the guard left and right has you quick step to the left or right.

Then there is the combat.  It is a great combat system when compared to most RPGs.  If there is one thing that is great about it is how you can play with other people.  I started with Symphonia and with the ability to play with my sis is why this series is one of my favorites of the RPG games.  And I would agree with Usagi-hime's recommendations.  If anything I find it sad that Graces f isn't getting much advertisment as other games.  For games like Mass Effect 3 (not a fan) I keep hearing about the pre-order extras you can get with the game over and over again, but for Tales of Graces f... I haven't seen anything like that.  We only pre-ordered it just to get it, but I didn't know of any pre-order extras.

Same here. My pre-order was made just to say I'd be buying the game on the first day of release. Essentially because the Tales series had been suggested to me a number of times, Tales of Graces F is really the first time I've taken an intent on getting into the series.

The pre-order from GameStop though gets you a character costume (or a set of them?). Supposedly it's for the adult version(s) of your character. I'm not yet sure how to access this unlocked wardrobe, though. Whether it's given to you at some point, it's in a special treasure chest, it's sold, or it just shows up I really couldn't say.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 40 (504 Views)