Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
963 posts

Re: IGN article: "10 ways to fix jrpgs"

Jan 19, 2010

Kajros wrote:
My theory is JRPGs are JRPGS.  WRPGS are WRPGS.  DO NOT SCREW WITH EITHER OF THEM!  I enjoy both styles because they have their differences making them unique.  Yes sometimes stories seem similiar but that is the same with books and everything else.  It's just written differenrtly.  Leave them be and don't mess with them I say.
Agree.
It's actually the differences between JRPG and WRPG that make the RPG genre great.  I would never want to play 10 RPGs and all of them feel the same. 

Playing: Demon's Souls, FF13, Fat Princess

Get your Portable ID!
Message 41 of 45 (26 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41061 posts

Jan 19, 2010

teylix wrote:

i dont see the big issue with what ign wrote.

i disagree with a few points like tales of series using cardboard cutouts and voice actors. sure some VA is bad (like Carol in ToV) but it isnt enough to make me cringe. although now that i think about it.. star ocean 4 had a pretty bad voice cast although reimi and myuria were ok.

however a lot of those points are semi-valid. multiplayer would be great if the devs are talented enough. dont think MMO... think uncharted 2 with single player and then a separate multiplayer setup. id be curious to see a high caliber jrpg try full on co-op though. oblivion wouldve been awesome if you could have a friend join you.

Some people are just irked by the idea that their 'fixes' are pretty much "replace JRPG approach with WRPG approach".  WRPG with an Eastern coating essentially is what it comes off as.  There is no need to drastically change one to the other, which is what they're asking.  It just comes off as asinine, no less, to single out JRPGs with one of these features.  3 letters: F-P-S.  Where's the 'fix it up' article on those?

Message 42 of 45 (26 Views)
Splicer
48 posts

Jan 19, 2010

IanSempai wrote:

Save points are awesome.

Also, why the hell would you get rid of turn-based systems? I love those.

IGN, you need to be more thoughtful.

Save points are great if you have all day to play the game, but it also forces you to wait until you can find a save point before you can quit the game.  Not everyone has the luxury to play a game all day, and I as the gamer should be able to stop the game and pick up where I left off without having to leave the system on because I couldn't find a save point, or have to redo a whole section, and listen to the dialogue again because I had to attend to something else. 
 And while turn based systems are fun, they are also old, and haven't changed since the days of SNES.  Every single other genre that you can think of has gained more ways to interact with the enemy in battle, while jrpgs have not changed a bit. 
 And  while we are on the subject, random battles have to go.  Here's why:
Its...*random battle*.really... *random battle*.. irritating... *random battle*..to explore an ... *random battle*... environment... *random battle*..or find your... *random battle*...next objective... *random battle*...with all these... *random battle*..damned battles in place!
See what I mean?  There are plenty of excellent RPGs that do away with stuff, and are still fun, and challenging to play, like Demon's Souls.  

Message Edited by blkrabb1t on 01-19-2010 03:35 PM
Message 43 of 45 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jan 19, 2010

PapaWarlock wrote:

Weidleface wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

3) Save points.. While it's nice to save anywhere, do you know how many times I forgot to keep more than 1 save file and got myself jammed? Or had to go back to a save file more than 3 hours in the past? Point is, no matter the system, you can get jammed up if you lose your focus.

On the issue of save points,  I'm not sure where you actually stand on the matter. Yeah, if you don't save in certain circumstances or keep multiple files (sometimes), you can really screw yourself, but that's a lesson learned. KotOR was the first game to really teach me that multiple save files were an incredibly important concept, especially in a game where so much is based on every decision. It still all boils down to strategy, though. If you get too consumed and get a one-track mind, sucks for you. The game shouldn't have to hold your hand just in case. 

Well in my mind I thought I was clear. As I sit here trying to explain it, I realize that I wasn't as clear as I should have been. So let me try to clarify it......... Ok maybe not. I tried 3 times to write out what I was trying to say and realized that the following is about as simple as I can get.

Let's just simply say that I think regardless of the system used, you can get yourself in a bind. Honestly, as convienent as it is to save anywhere/anytime, overall I think I like the JRPG system of saving only when allowed. More of a challenge that way.

To be honest its more of an artificial challenge to not be able to save where you want.  For example:
 You could save in a dungeon with low HP, no way to heal yourself, half your party is dead, and you are a far cry from either the exit of the dungeon or the entrance, and who knows if there's a boss at the exit? 
It doesn't make it any easier if you load the file with the circumstances that I listed above, than if you saved at a predetermined point? (Not to mention save points in most RPGs actually HEAL you when you get to them) 

Message 44 of 45 (26 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11168 posts

Jan 20, 2010

blkrabb1t wrote:

To be honest its more of an artificial challenge to not be able to save where you want.  For example:

Well sometimes self imposed delusional challenges are all we have. Does it matter if it's a challenge we set upon ourselves? Save anywhere is convienent. In the end it's all about preference.

Message 45 of 45 (26 Views)
0 Likes