Treasure Hunter
7231 posts

Re: I severely miss turned based RPGs.

Aug 23, 2012

I actually enjoy all types of RPGs in terms of combat styles. 

I really appreciate the strategy aspect of the turn-based RPGs simply because it does require a lot more pre-fight preparation and thinking. In many ways it feels nice to be able to setup your party for success before a battle begins. It's kind of like chess - there aren't really any grey areas for interpretation or failure. Either you planned well and are able to defeat the enemy(ies) or the enemy was much more prepared than you and you have to re-evaluate your strategy and try again.

Then there are hybrid turn-based/action RPGs like Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XII and XIII. I enjoy these types of RPGs as well because they add more variables into the battle and can sometimes make a game more challenging. The challenging aspect should ideally come from a controllable variable though, like the weapons you are using or the party you have setup, not from an uncontrollable variable like the environment of the game, or the game having bad controls or bad party AI.

The action RPGs like Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2 and Kingdom Hearts are refreshing to play though after you have been playing a turn-based game for a long time and just need a little more on the spot action. They still keep a few of the RPG staples like HP and MP, and status effects but they have the fast-paced battles of an actual action/adventure game. I would consider these types of games the "training wheels" for RPG games to transition into other game genres like all out action/adventure games and first person shooters.

Message 11 of 20 (1,610 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Aug 25, 2012

Deiradinn wrote:

Besides PSN games there is almost non to talk about. I mean traditional turned based rpgs. Why so much emphasis on graphics and action? What's the use of having all the beautiful scenery, architecture, and character design if you're just blazing right past it, mashing buttons obscenely and not even caring about everything else? The battle system... I don't like being a fraction of the action, I do more action in the battle menu's setting up tactics than I do contributing to the battle. I don't know, maybe I'm just one of a dying breed but I miss them. I hope they make a comeback.

Not saying I enjoy other RPGs less, but list turned based RPGs for the PS3 compared to the other style of RPGs. Not even close. Sorry, early morning thoughts while listening to older RPG ost's on youtube. 

Yeah I feel the same way. It's a shame that console turn-based games have gone by the wayside. Whenever I get nostalgic I've started replaying older games I own or buying used copies of games I missed. Currently replaying Final Fantasy IX and loving every minute of it.

Message 12 of 20 (1,600 Views)
Fender Bender
3979 posts

Aug 30, 2012

The handheld market is safer for turn based rpgs from the perspective of a Japanese dev, because handhelds are more popular than consoles in Japan, largely due to the fact that a large portion of Japan's population is so busy that they can fit more gaming time in while they are on the train, than any other time.  Plus, handhelds in general are more sheltered from the storm that has consumed the console market.  For one thing, it's a lot more difficult to maintain a constant internet connection with handhelds, despite advancements in wi-fi technology, so online multiplayer isn't emphasized as much, and the fps genre still has some hurdles to overcome before it can fully spread its wings on handhelds.  That, and people who invest in dedicated gaming handhelds seem to be more open to different styles of gameplay than the console crowd.  Maybe because, while the console crowd is constantly holding out for their games to get closer and closer to realism, I'm pretty sure most people don't play handheld games for their graphics.  I imagine development cost isn't quite as high for handhelds either, but I'm no expert in that sort of thing.

Anyways, there is more than one side to the problem the turn based rpg faces in NA.  It's likely a combination of current market trends and the perception of modern devs.  Personally, I've always felt that Japanese devs have been overthinking things in the past 5 or 6 years, and should have just stuck with what they've always done best, rather than trying to adapt their games to appeal more to Western gamers.  Their games aren't losing popularity just because of what's popular now, but probably more so because they lack something that past titles had.  The jrpg has had its dedicated niche for quite some time now, and I don't think it's a case of that niche going away, but of companies like SE trying too hard to rope in new fans, while failing to take their existing fanbase into account, who have always been willing to support the latest jrpg, regardless of its overall popularity among mainstream gamers.  A large portion of jrpg fans are fond of the turn based rpg, so I think that's something that Japanese devs should have taken into account.  I suppose there are cases of Western devs dabbling in the turn based rpg genre too.  Double Fine's Costume Quest comes to mind.  Current technology most certainly does not mean that modern hardware is incapable of handling a traditional turn based rpg, so the problem obviously has more to do with the current mindset than anything else. 

My solution?  Go where the turn based rpgs gather.  There's still the occasional turn based rpg released on consoles.  I'm quite fond of the Arland trilogy, for example.  There's the occasional downloadable rpg on services like psn, but I think the majority of turn based rpgs that are released will be on handhelds.  Or, go back and play turn based rpgs from the past.  I'm currently playing through and enjoying Persona 4. 

Message 13 of 20 (1,566 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1152 posts

Aug 30, 2012
i kind of miss turn based games myself.but we have to thank nisa,xseed,atlus,aksys,gaijinworks for not allowing the genre to die here in the west.also, i appreciate eastasiasoft of the rainbowmoon game for at least try to keep the genre alive here in the west from a non-nippon perspective.but i recognize that people,specially the younger crowd will lean to action rpgs because thats more faster and what have you!
Photobucket
Message 14 of 20 (1,560 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Aug 31, 2012
I could grind out levels all day long on those old school RPGS. Sure miss the glory days...
Message 15 of 20 (1,555 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

Sep 8, 2012

If you want a really good turn based RPG you should try Baldurs Gate on the PC. It's pretty oldschool though from 1998. They're releasing an Enhanced Edition in 2 weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 16 of 20 (1,519 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 10, 2012

I miss the old school.  I don't DISLIKE the newer RPG generations (well, for the most part... dang square enix for their corruption of the FF series), but the old school slow action turn based games were mentally stimulating and almost ALWAYS had awsome stories, or in depth systems that made them worth the while. 

The Atelier family, the OLD Final Fantasy (I effectively ignore everything from ten up), Dragon Quest... these games weren't just what I grew up with, they were almost a defining aspect of the culture then.  Either you played them, got them, and were good at them, or you didn't.  It wasn't a status thing, just a social thing. 

Personally, I blame both the industry and modern culture.  We've created recent generations with zero attention spans, adrenaline addictions, and a competition complex out the wazoo, and the industry only feeds that, and feeds on that.  Sorry Sony, as much as I like you guys you're guilty too. 

Message 17 of 20 (1,503 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 11, 2012

I have to agree that we need more turn based RPG's. I play an RPG and become sad and longing for the days of old. So far the only way that we an enjot turn based is by doing a download on PSN. Getting the older games. I have downloaded all the Final Fantasy games that are available. Then I happened to notice they were getting PS2 games. So I have been waiting and waiting for Final Fantasy X to be released. But sadly it has not. So we are doomed to wait for PSN to deliver our old faithful turn-based while holding on to a litle thread of hope that they will wake up and realize that there is still a market for new gen turn based RPGs.

Message 18 of 20 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42041 posts

Sep 12, 2012
Replaying FFIX right now and it's so good and so sad at the same time that publishers more than likely aren't going to attempt these kinds of approaches anymore. I don't know what the hell happened this gen but coming off the past 2, it's sad to think back and see how many aspects or genres that have died off (mid-tier games are really struggling to get green lights and it seems they don't even think of PSN and such as great alternatives to not have to charge $60 and instead hit a nice $20-40 price point like the past gens).

Message 19 of 20 (1,486 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 26, 2012
Seeing your Valk Chron sticker there... Gods I loved that one. Not truly "turn based" but more like "strategy turn based." Made you think just as much as any turn based game. Can we get one going for the Vita sony? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!?

Message 20 of 20 (1,450 Views)
0 Likes