Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 18 2012
By: Deiradinn Hekseville Citizen 305 posts

I severely miss turned based RPGs.

[ Edited ]
19 replies 3434 views Edited Aug 18, 2012

Besides PSN games there is almost non to talk about. I mean traditional turned based rpgs. Why so much emphasis on graphics and action? What's the use of having all the beautiful scenery, architecture, and character design if you're just blazing right past it, mashing buttons obscenely and not even caring about everything else? The battle system... I don't like being a fraction of the action, I do more action in the battle menu's setting up tactics than I do contributing to the battle. I don't know, maybe I'm just one of a dying breed but I miss them. I hope they make a comeback.

Not saying I enjoy other RPGs less, but list turned based RPGs for the PS3 compared to the other style of RPGs. Not even close. Sorry, early morning thoughts while listening to older RPG ost's on youtube. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (3,434 Views)
PlayStation MVP
10980 posts

Re: I severely miss turned based RPGs.

Aug 18, 2012

Traditional turn-based RPGs went scarce during the PlayStation 3's time. Developers pretty much gave up on the concept when they saw how North American customers demanded something different. More action and less waiting, the role-playing battlefield evolved toward combat that quickened the gameplay so you could feel like you were slaying the beast yourself.

I too miss the older style RPGs. Though, it's not as if there haven't been some enjoyable times over the PlayStation 3's era. You just have to know where to look. Games such as Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, Tales of Graces F, and Eternal Sonata are all some of the best RPGs I've played on the system. Titles such as Eternal Sonata have a combination of turn-based and action to develop an even flow. With the release of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch in January, this game too is said to mix up the battles with both elements.

Slower battles were excellent for their time, but developers these days want to push our brains out of bed. It would definitely be better if all of these less-inspiring RPGs didn't dominate the market, but there are a few that shine through the darkness. Just grab the ones that look best and try to keep your mind on its toes if you can. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (3,430 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Aug 18, 2012

There are still turn based RPGs out there, it's just most have migrated to the handheld systems. Most turn based that are console based don't make it out past Japan unless you import. One big reason being that Western gamers are either A) too ADD to play turn based or B) simply prefer action based gaming.

Turn based gaming used to be a primary product of the technical limitations at the time. They also mirror the traditional turn based pen & paper Dungeons & Dragons RPG. You know, the one that gave rise and birth to the video game RPG? With the power of the current consoles RPGs have gravitated towards the much more realistic active time combat system.

There are some console turn based RPGs like Cross Edge, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4 and Enchanted Arms. (The Tales series is not turn based). But most of them are on the handhelds. The PSP for example has several turn based RPGs like:  Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Crimson Gem Saga, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, SMT: Persona 2: Innocent Sin, SMT: Persona 3 Portable, etc. There are a few turn based RPGs on the PSN like: Wizardry and Rainbow Moon.

I enjoy both styles of RPG. I would love to see more turn based RPGs on the console but since they do still exist on the handhelds, I'll take them however I can.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (3,428 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1095 posts

Aug 20, 2012
I do miss the traditional turn based format some as well. I don't think however, that the technical abilities of the current hardware should be a reason that these are left behind. It may be that some innovation is needed to infuse new life into the genre. There will always be something uniquely satisfying about a turn based format, so adding some elements that add immersion to the combat can help.

I know FFXIII is much maligned and in some cases, rightfully so, but I always appreciated its approach to combat. While not a bedwetting turn based game, the combat is not real time either yet retains a very immediate and fast paced feel. There is room for non real time gaming on the big console atmosphere, but developers may need to try new tweaks.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (3,410 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Aug 20, 2012

I badly miss them, and I don't much enjoy Action RPGs. I've tried several this generation, because that's mostly all there has been for the home console, but none satisfied me much.

There are turn-based games, it's just unfortunatly almost all of them have come from NIS who publishes niche of a niche games, it takes a very specific person to like their games and unfortunatly I'm not one of them even though I truely love turn-based games.

If what PapaWarlock mentioned about consoles having the power to do more as being the reason for the death of turn-based, then even handhelds are doomed. The Vita is a portable PS3, so the same logic would follow and thus far is proving true. The only turn-based RPGs announed for the system to date I believe are a pair of remakes: Persona 4 and Disgaea 3.

If technology limitations are the only reason for the existance of turn-based RPGs ... we'll be forced to play on mobile phones :smileyfrustrated:

I remember reading a couple years ago Square-Enix saying they won't do turn-based anymore since consoles allow them to do action now, so that gives some support to that theroy.

I strongly dissagree with anyone who thinks turn-based games are easy, or that they require no thought or skill to play. While that's true with some games, it's also true with action RPGs too. Another negative affect of action games is the death of party control. In action games you can only control one character at a time, and your party is forced to operate on AI which no one has made very smart yet (likely because it would make the games too easy).

In turn-based games you have total control over everything. You don't loose because of a fluke or because your AI team mates did something incredibly stupid. You loose because you didn't have a good plan, or failed to execute it correctly. Sure, there is some luck involved with random number generators (chance to miss, chance to dodge, etc) but all that has to be taken into account with your strategy. You have to think "Will I survive if this attack/spell missed?"

Bah, starting to go off on a rant so I'll stop there and say again, I miss turn-based RPGs too.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (3,405 Views)
Wastelander
664 posts

Aug 20, 2012

IMO turn based RPGs take more thought and strategy than button mashing action games. But, they arent for the attention challenged majority that the gaming industry caters to.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (3,402 Views)
Wastelander
664 posts

Aug 20, 2012

colstripcapn wrote:
"In turn-based games you have total control over everything. You don't loose because of a fluke or because your AI team mates did something incredibly stupid. You loose because you didn't have a good plan, or failed to execute it correctly. Sure, there is some luck involved with random number generators (chance to miss, chance to dodge, etc) but all that has to be taken into account with your strategy. You have to think "Will I survive if this attack/spell missed?"

Bah, starting to go off on a rant so I'll stop there and say again, I miss turn-based RPGs too."

I couldnt agree more

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (3,401 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5933 posts

Aug 20, 2012
I disagree about the part of just blazing past everything and not enjoying the scenery, and nice graphics. I played action RPG, and fully enjoyed the beautiful sceneries and everything, which can also be enjoyed during combat. Your not just blazing past everything.

I played both Turn Based and Action, they are both fun, and I like them both. As someone said, Turn Based may not be as popular as they once were, and action became more popular. So you will see more action RPG`s, I like how they give you more control over your character.

There are still turn based RPG`s out there, even for the PS3, although as you said, many are on the PSN.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (3,392 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Aug 20, 2012

colstripcapn wrote:

If what PapaWarlock mentioned about consoles having the power to do more as being the reason for the death of turn-based, then even handhelds are doomed. The Vita is a portable PS3, so the same logic would follow and thus far is proving true. The only turn-based RPGs announed for the system to date I believe are a pair of remakes: Persona 4 and Disgaea 3.

If technology limitations are the only reason for the existance of turn-based RPGs ... we'll be forced to play on mobile phones :smileyfrustrated:

I remember reading a couple years ago Square-Enix saying they won't do turn-based anymore since consoles allow them to do action now, so that gives some support to that theroy.

It's not just that the technology allows for more action oriented games but today's ADHD crowd of gamers can't sit still to actually think about their games. RPGs have historically sold less, pound for pound, than FPS and Action games. Handhelds are a better fit for the turnbased game, but unfortunately as well, a turn based game will sell less than an action based game.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (3,390 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2384 posts

Aug 21, 2012

I've been sticking to JRPGs.  I like my RPGs to be turned based and don't really care to play an RPG that is a FPS.  Right now I am really enjoying Record of Agarest War 2.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (3,381 Views)
0 Likes