Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 26 2006
By: Codi~ Wastelander 741 posts

I just picked up star ocean 3

20 replies 1 views Edited Jan 26, 2006
I just picked up star ocean 3 and I'd have to say its an RPG I enjoy...how is it compared to most RPGs now? ...The only PS2 RPGS I've played are this kindom hearts 1 suidoken 3 or w/e...and I hated that..because of the whole no sound thing..and o yea FF-X If I like this game..What else am I going to like? I hear eeryone talk about Xenogears whats that all about? I'm just looking for some rpg to pick up next the only other rpgs I've played are those I've listed but I didnt finish them all...and the Chrono series games alrigh thanks..just looking for some suggestions

(P.S sorry for the sloppy post but im in computer applications right now and im not suppose to be on here haha)
Message 1 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Re: I just picked up star ocean 3

Jan 26, 2006

Is Star Ocean 3 "Still the end of Time"?

Xenogear is a PS1 title.  I just started playing Xenosaga Episode 1 which is the prequel of Xenogear and a PS2 title.  I'm about 9 hours into it and I must say that this game is great.  I don't find its battle system complicated as other people described and I like the idea of being able to see the enemies so that I can decide whether I should engage in combat or not.  This aspect of Xenosaga is better -in my opinion- than Final Fantasy X which I just finished . 

I bought Star Ocean Still the end of Time but I didn't play it yet.  By the way, are you an Ex-Xbox RPGer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games,"

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"
Message 2 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jan 26, 2006
Never mind my question about Ex-Xbox RPGer, I think you are not.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games,"

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"
Message 3 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
562 posts

Jan 26, 2006

Codi wrote:
I just picked up star ocean 3 and I'd have to say its an RPG I enjoy...how is it compared to most RPGs now? ...The only PS2 RPGS I've played are this kindom hearts 1 suidoken 3 or w/e...and I hated that..because of the whole no sound thing..and o yea FF-X If I like this game..What else am I going to like? I hear eeryone talk about Xenogears whats that all about? I'm just looking for some rpg to pick up next the only other rpgs I've played are those I've listed but I didnt finish them all...and the Chrono series games alrigh thanks..just looking for some suggestions

(P.S sorry for the sloppy post but im in computer applications right now and im not suppose to be on here haha)

That is a really difficult question to answer.  You might want to try the Shadow Hearts games, I've heard those are good (haven't played them myself).  If possible, go rent an RPG, play it, and buy it if you like it.  So yea, Shadow Hearts, maybe even Atelier Iris.

Xenogears is an old Playstation RPG, which I hear is amazing.  I own it, but have yet to work my way to it.
Message 4 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Jan 26, 2006
Well as far as Star Ocean 3 is concerned, it is currently one of the two WORST rpgs I've ever played. 

As far as other games you may like, if you like Star Ocean, chances are you will like Final Fantasy X and the Shadow Hearts Series.  The Shadow Hearts series is to date the best PS2 rpgs I've played. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 5 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4295 posts

Jan 26, 2006

I'm one of the very few people in this forum who actually enjoyed SO3.  I enjoyed it so much that it's my favorite RPG this generation.  I've finished it four times, so you could ask me anything about it if you need help.

Xenogears is a great game, too.  The only thing I don't like about it is the miles of text you have to read through.  You can tell a game has too much text when it asks you if you want to save during the middle of it.

Message 6 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12042 posts

Jan 26, 2006
I finally got Star Ocean last week. Amazon.com had a sale a few weeks ago so I ordered it along w/ Tekeen 5 for $9.99 each. I wasnt to happy that I didnt receive the Star Ocean pictured and that it was a Great Hits game but for $10 I guess I cant complain a whole lot; both brand new as well. Right now Im still playing Tales of Symphonia so I have yet to actually play Star Ocean. But a friend of mine picked up a copy about a month ago and every time I talk to him he starts ranting and raving about how Star Ocean is the best game he's ever played. But this is also coming from someone who plays and likes some of the crappiest rpgs. Ive only heard him complain about one RPG in the past 6 years. Now Im saying he's wrong because Im sure Star Ocean is a good game but hardly the greatest ever... etc, etc.....

Id also have to suggest Shadow Hearts for its a great game. As is Atelier Iris, Suikoden III etc. Also, if you like Star Ocean yu should check out Grandia III wich will be released in Feb I think. Also Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria wich is being developed right now but probably wont be released till the end of the year or early next year...

Message 7 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Jan 27, 2006

doomerOFhell wrote:

I'm one of the very few people in this forum who actually enjoyed SO3.  I enjoyed it so much that it's my favorite RPG this generation.  I've finished it four times, so you could ask me anything about it if you need help.

Xenogears is a great game, too.  The only thing I don't like about it is the miles of text you have to read through.  You can tell a game has too much text when it asks you if you want to save during the middle of it.

I enjoyed Star Ocean TTEoT as well. It might not be my favorite RPG this generation, but it is still very good IMO.

Xenogears got me in trouble a few times because of all that. lol

Message 8 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
562 posts

Jan 27, 2006
I also liked SO3.  It definitely wasn't my favorite RPG, but I think it was a pretty good experience, despite its flaws.
Message 9 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8277 posts

Jan 27, 2006
Imo Star Ocean 3 is a good RPG.  Tales of Symphonia has a much better combat system but for story, environment (towns, dungeons, etc), characters, and everything else, Star Ocean 3 is better.
Message 10 of 21 (1 View)
0 Likes