Reply
Highlighted
Feb 16 2006
By: digikoto Fender Bender 4200 posts
Offline

Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

10 replies 3 views Edited Feb 16, 2006
FIRST OF ALL!!!!  TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!!  RPG CLUB ROUND 4 HAS ]NOT STARTED WITHOUT YOU!!!!  I MERELY WANTED TO TEST THE GAME OUT SINCE I BOUGHT IT TONITE!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:



Well.  I'm probably about 2hrs into this one and I must say that so far it's got  a LOT of cosmetic qualities that are outstanding.  But for those that know me, the cosmetics are only extra credit.  I want to know about the game itself.

Story:  So far it seems a bit refreshing.  The world is not about to end.  There are merely young people from a small town with big dreams of becoming famous.  There is one scene so far that actually made me laugh out loud.  But underneath the freshness, the characters make this game seem a bit kiddy.

Graphics:  Amazing

Sound:  Amazing (except for that britney spears-ish song they seem to like to play during cut scenes)  The in game music is amazing though.

Voice Acting:  Starts off very strong but dwindles a bit as some of the more corny characters are introduced

Exploration:  So far it is nonexistant.  This is the first negative I have abut this game.  It is so far very FFX-ish.  There is no world map, merely paths that lead to different places that you can travel on.  And travel is restricted to these paths.  There is no exploration outside of walking down different roads.  No open fields thus far just paths.  Unfortunately it makes the game seem like it's going to be an eternal dungeon crawl.

Combat:  It's cool I guess.  I'm not quite as blown away by it as most of the critics seem to be in all the reviews I've read.  So far it's not "THE GAME SAVER" that folks have hyped it up to be.

Anyway, I have to finish Xenogears before I get too deep into this one.  But I will say, that if it does not improve upon what I've seen so far, this one won't get extremely high ratings from me.  The lack of exploration may end up killing this one for me.  I don't like the "Dog on a leash" syndrome as a friend of mine so aptly put it.  But it's still early, I won't judge this one too hard just yet..
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 1 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 08/11/2004
Offline
26 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006
I was planning on going out and getting this one tommorow. I'm mostly buying it because I loved grandia II.
Message 2 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2004
Offline
4200 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006


charliepig wrote:
I was planning on going out and getting this one tommorow. I'm mostly buying it because I loved grandia II.

Cool.  Well, if you'd like to play Grandia III with a group of other folks playing it, come check out the RPG club and vote for it.  Right now it has the highest number of votes. 

If you don't know about the RPG Club, hit my sig or find the thread on page 2 or 3 that discusses it. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 3 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 09/11/2004
Offline
13339 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006

I wish I could get it before next month, but seeing that now as a negative option.

Anyway, great impressions! They made my desire strenghten for the game, and I am hoping to get to play it very soon. Too bad, I won't be a part of the RPG club on this one, but maybe, I could play Chrono Trigger in the SNES club. I am glad I didn't hype about this game, it will make the wait much easier for me.

So, there is no exploration (so far) and the combat is okay to you? Sounds okay to me, No exploration is kind of a negative for me also and I hope when I play the combat will be at least fine for me to play. If the gameplay stinks, I don't really go on and play it more so I hope this game isn't that case.

Message 4 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2004
Offline
4200 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006


Light_Jak wrote:

I wish I could get it before next month, but seeing that now as a negative option.

Anyway, great impressions! They made my desire strenghten for the game, and I am hoping to get to play it very soon. Too bad, I won't be a part of the RPG club on this one, but maybe, I could play Chrono Trigger in the SNES club. I am glad I didn't hype about this game, it will make the wait much easier for me.

So, there is no exploration (so far) and the combat is okay to you? Sounds okay to me, No exploration is kind of a negative for me also and I hope when I play the combat will be at least fine for me to play. If the gameplay stinks, I don't really go on and play it more so I hope this game isn't that case.



At this point in the game, I won't say it stinks.  It seems a tad boring though.  And I really don't like games that make you feel like you are in an eternal dungeon by not letting you explore the landscape (which is beautiful by the way).    But we'll see.  I'm only in the first area outside the home town.  It may open up after I get out of this area. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 5 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/10/2004
Offline
6975 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006


Blaq wrote:
FIRST OF ALL!!!!  TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!!  RPG CLUB ROUND 4 HAS ]NOT STARTED WITHOUT YOU!!!!  I MERELY WANTED TO TEST THE GAME OUT SINCE I BOUGHT IT TONITE!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:



Well.  I'm probably about 2hrs into this one and I must say that so far it's got  a LOT of cosmetic qualities that are outstanding.  But for those that know me, the cosmetics are only extra credit.  I want to know about the game itself.

Story:  So far it seems a bit refreshing.  The world is not about to end.  There are merely young people from a small town with big dreams of becoming famous.  There is one scene so far that actually made me laugh out loud.  But underneath the freshness, the characters make this game seem a bit kiddy.

Graphics:  Amazing

Sound:  Amazing (except for that britney spears-ish song they seem to like to play during cut scenes)  The in game music is amazing though.

Voice Acting:  Starts off very strong but dwindles a bit as some of the more corny characters are introduced

Exploration:  So far it is nonexistant.  This is the first negative I have abut this game.  It is so far very FFX-ish.  There is no world map, merely paths that lead to different places that you can travel on.  And travel is restricted to these paths.  There is no exploration outside of walking down different roads.  No open fields thus far just paths.  Unfortunately it makes the game seem like it's going to be an eternal dungeon crawl.

Combat:  It's cool I guess.  I'm not quite as blown away by it as most of the critics seem to be in all the reviews I've read.  So far it's not "THE GAME SAVER" that folks have hyped it up to be.

Anyway, I have to finish Xenogears before I get too deep into this one.  But I will say, that if it does not improve upon what I've seen so far, this one won't get extremely high ratings from me.  The lack of exploration may end up killing this one for me.  I don't like the "Dog on a leash" syndrome as a friend of mine so aptly put it.  But it's still early, I won't judge this one too hard just yet..


YOU STARTED GRANDIA 3????!!! When I haven't even gotten my copy yet!!! I can't forgive you!!!!! lol

Your thoughts are pretty much exactly what I knew they would be. As for dog on a leash syndrome, yes sir that is Grandia. The only thing I am surprised at is your thoughts on the battle system. Unless they have supremely messed it up, I'm surprised you weren't impressed with it. I'll be scrutinizing it to see if they messed it up or if it is just you as usual.... lol


Message 6 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/20/2003
Offline
6314 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006
It's good to hear the reviews but even better when they come from people who have similar game tastes.
Message 7 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2004
Offline
4200 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006
@ TBD.

It's just me being me.  Nothing is wrong with the system it's just not the "be all end all" that the critics hyped it up to be is all I was saying. 

You've got to remember that I am not very far in the game.  And this battle system is very indepth with the options you can carry out.  It's semi-fast paced and easy to understand.  Just not quite as fun as I was expecting it this early in the game.   I would take Shadow Hearts or FFX-2's battle system over this one at this point.  Of course, I'd take X-2s battle system over most turn based systems I've played. 

Oh, and EXP is just like SO3 man.  They seriously don't seem to be giving out enough EXP for the battles.  But I'm only 2hrs in, so this initial thought is just what it is...  A first impression. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 8 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/10/2004
Offline
6975 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006


Blaq wrote:
@ TBD.

It's just me being me.  Nothing is wrong with the system it's just not the "be all end all" that the critics hyped it up to be is all I was saying. 

You've got to remember that I am not very far in the game.  And this battle system is very indepth with the options you can carry out.  It's semi-fast paced and easy to understand.  Just not quite as fun as I was expecting it this early in the game.   I would take Shadow Hearts or FFX-2's battle system over this one at this point.  Of course, I'd take X-2s battle system over most turn based systems I've played. 

Oh, and EXP is just like SO3 man.  They seriously don't seem to be giving out enough EXP for the battles.  But I'm only 2hrs in, so this initial thought is just what it is...  A first impression. 


I'm just messin with you. I know you all too well by now. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't goof around. Someone has to do it. lol

After reading the reviews and your first impressions, I have no fears for the game for myself. It sounds like it is exactly what I knew it would be like and that's great. I have always loved the battle system in Grandia games. The HEX battle system in Wild Arms 4 is worming it's way in though, it makes battles so fast.

As for the EXP, I'll have to see when I play. I didn't have a problem with EXP in Star Ocean 3 myself.

Now don't play too much more I'll have to come over there. lol


 


Message 9 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2004
Offline
4200 posts
 

Re: Grandia III Initial Thoughts *possible tiny spoilers*

Feb 16, 2006


thebaldduelist wrote:


Blaq wrote:
@ TBD.

It's just me being me.  Nothing is wrong with the system it's just not the "be all end all" that the critics hyped it up to be is all I was saying. 

You've got to remember that I am not very far in the game.  And this battle system is very indepth with the options you can carry out.  It's semi-fast paced and easy to understand.  Just not quite as fun as I was expecting it this early in the game.   I would take Shadow Hearts or FFX-2's battle system over this one at this point.  Of course, I'd take X-2s battle system over most turn based systems I've played. 

Oh, and EXP is just like SO3 man.  They seriously don't seem to be giving out enough EXP for the battles.  But I'm only 2hrs in, so this initial thought is just what it is...  A first impression. 


I'm just messin with you. I know you all too well by now. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't goof around. Someone has to do it. lol

After reading the reviews and your first impressions, I have no fears for the game for myself. It sounds like it is exactly what I knew it would be like and that's great. I have always loved the battle system in Grandia games. The HEX battle system in Wild Arms 4 is worming it's way in though, it makes battles so fast.

As for the EXP, I'll have to see when I play. I didn't have a problem with EXP in Star Ocean 3 myself.

Now don't play too much more I'll have to come over there. lol


 





Not to worry.  As of tonite, I'm officially back on Xenogears.  I just wanted to play G-III past all the 3hr movie scenes and town searching.  When I go back to playing it, I wanted to be at a part where I was PLAYING and not WATCHING! 

Oh, and cut scenes seem to be aplenty up in this game.  Almost too much.  We'll see if that trend continues. 



Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 10 of 11 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes