Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2513 posts

Re: First RPG? Do you still like and play it?

Feb 5, 2006

Gunner Yuna wrote:

DarkCloud(R) wrote:

random_hero215 wrote:

DarkCloud(R) wrote:

random_hero215 wrote:
I'm not sure if one would consider Pokemon an RPG, but I have heard it reffered to as one. Given that, Pokemon Red was my first RPG.... Not something I'm particularly proud of.....

I am no proud of it either, but i'll admit, I had fun with it

Yeah, it was fun, and may very well still be, provided I drove myself to pick it up again.... I guess there may be something to say for being among the country's first batch of Pokemaniacs

Hahaha, well, what I liked about it was the sense of adventure. You really got to travel to a lot of places. Then there's the concept of raising little cute MOSTERS FROM HELL! I thought that was cool.

Edit: It would be cool if they made like a game based on Final Fantasy summons you can raise and use in battle. Don't know where the story would come from though...

Message Edited by DarkCloud(R) on 02-04-200610:07 PM

That would be pretty cool.  :smileyhappy:  It'd be a sort of mature Pokemon game. 

Yes, if they made a mature game like that with voilent and menicing monsters, it wouldn't be half bad

G.A.P member since Jan 23, 2004
t
Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 5, 2006

random_hero215 wrote:

DarkCloud(R) wrote:

random_hero215 wrote:

DarkCloud(R) wrote:

random_hero215 wrote:
I'm not sure if one would consider Pokemon an RPG, but I have heard it reffered to as one. Given that, Pokemon Red was my first RPG.... Not something I'm particularly proud of.....

I am no proud of it either, but i'll admit, I had fun with it

Yeah, it was fun, and may very well still be, provided I drove myself to pick it up again.... I guess there may be something to say for being among the country's first batch of Pokemaniacs

Hahaha, well, what I liked about it was the sense of adventure. You really got to travel to a lot of places. Then there's the concept of raising little cute MOSTERS FROM HELL! I thought that was cool.

Edit: It would be cool if they made like a game based on Final Fantasy summons you can raise and use in battle. Don't know where the story would come from though...

Message Edited by DarkCloud(R) on 02-04-200610:07 PM

That would be pretty cool, although I'd rather see a game that was entirely BLITZBALL first

I think the thing I liked about Pokemon was the fact that you had so many ways to go about completing it, and the replayability after the fact. Plus it brought out the completist in me at a rather young age

My favorite thing about Pokemon was definately it's huge replay value and depth.  Literally catching every single Pokemon is likely the biggest sidequest I've ever done in my life. :smileytongue: 

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 5, 2006

MeTaLfrvr wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:
My very first RPG was Tales of Symphonia (GC).  I got it in Nov. 2004, and I think it's an awesome game.  Definately one of my favorites.  I thought it had an excellent story, and the graphics were breathtaking.  It's battle system is really fun, and I love pulling all sorts of deadly combos, especially with my teammates!  I just completed my second playthrough today, and I'm still awestruck by its magnificence.  Of course, one big contributing factor is that it's an anime RPG.  I LOVE anime!  :smileyhappy:  I also love the length!  It was nice and long, the way I like it.  I don't like it when RPGs end too soon, like Final Fantasy X, so its length was a huge boost for me.  I could play this game for hours and hours on end.

What was your first RPG?  It doesn't even have to be your first, if you didn't like your first one.  Which one was one of your first that you really liked and have a lot of nostalgia for?  Take your time on these.  I look forward to thoughtful answers. 

Another person who loved Tales of Symphonia! Excellent! I thought that game was amazing.

However, it definatly wasnt my first RPG I played. My first (like many others) was Final Fantasy VII, and im constently playing that game over and over. FFVII got me hooked on RPGs. Before I even played the game, I didnt have a Playstation, and I just watched my friend play the game for hours on end. I finally got a PSone and bought Final Fantasy VII right away, followed by Final Fantasy VIII then Final Fantasy IX.

However, I thought Final Fantasy X was your standard RPG length. It lasted me over 40 hours for the main storyline, and with all the sidequests, the game lasted me a total of 73 hours (although I didnt finish the monster arena).

Tales of Symphonia was truly a masterpiece. :smileyhappy:  I'd give it a 9/10. 

FFX may be standard, but it seemed quite short, to me, when compared to Tales of Symphonia's length.

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Feb 5, 2006
My first RPGs were Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, and Crystalis (Crystalis being the first).  Crystalis is an amazing RPG (the NES Version is), and I still play it constantly to this day.  I never ever get sick of it.

I remember first playing it when I was two years old.  I couldn't read, so I had no idea what to do.  My brother told me just to press the B button and attack and kill the blobs.  He was grounded, and he wanted to level up enough to get up the mountain, so he made me do it.  I sat there for 4 hours straight, just killing blobs.  I overleveled so much, and I walked up without my brother's permission, and I got owned because I sucked at the game so much.  I had no idea how to save, so I lost all the progress I gained.  But I don't care, since I was 2 when it happened.

I still love the game so much today.  I never get sick of it, and it is one of my favorite RPGs of all-time.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 5, 2006

Sir_Crono wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:

That's the same as ToS, except there are four party members, and you combine the control stick and the B button for different moves, instead of assigning only one to each button.  Based on what you told me, those are the only differences.

Can you set a strategy/gambit for your companions?  You can in ToS, so I was wondering.

Blargh :smileytongue: They're not that similar. Should you play Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, the first difference you'll notice is that you have complete freedom in battle. In ToS, you're restricted to running back and forth based on which enemy you have have targeted. You also can't jump in SO. The AI of party members in ToS is also far better than it is in SO. In SO, depending on your settings, a companion might just stop attacking when they get to around half of their HP. All they'll do is run. Just change the setting, right? Wrong! There will just be something else wrong with them. At least they generally stuck to what you told them to do in ToS :smileytongue: Attacking is different too. Lloyd could combo three regular attacks, then three skills (Level 1, 2, then 3) without any special attachments. In SO, you might be able to combo a weak attack to a strong attack, then you can keep spamming skills as long as your HP holds out and you keep hitting the enemy. You'll also receive a damage bonus when you combo skill to a skill in SO, with the maximum being 300% damage. A poor description on that last part, but that's generally how it works. That's all I can really think of right now.

Don't get me wrong, SO is worth picking up, but I feel that Tales of Symphonia is the superior of the two overall, especially when it comes to the battle system.

I would have to agree completely with the last part.

As for the rest, you are right. Star Ocean and ToS may both have real time battle systems, but they don't play out the same because of it. IMO ToS' is much easier to get along with. lol I never had to babysit the A.I characters in ToS at all, once I set them up, they did a great job of doing what they were supposed to. TTEoT was fine with that, but you would have to babysit at times esp. if you needed heal. Both are great games IMO, but I give the nod to ToS in the battle system department.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13339 posts

Feb 6, 2006

blitz ace wrote:

Light_Jak wrote:

My first RPG was Super Mario RPG and it still has me playing. I got stuck at many parts but after beating this game, I was definitely interested in RPG's for SNES. Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy series were also some of my favorites on SNES. From there, I forgot all about RPG's until 1998 when I got Pokemon on release. That was probably the best one from a handheld system to me and I enjoyed it every bit. FFX, I got in 2003 but didn't play it much until just recently, now that is my favorite on a home console. I am currently playing Chrono Trigger, Legend of Dragoon, FFX, and Mario and Luigi 2: Partners in Time, which all I play periodically from time to time.

how is partners in time? i played the first mario and luigi rpg for gba and LOVED it..... i dont have a ds but i think i know where i can borrow one!

If you loved the first one, then you will love the second one. The gameplay is similar except you have two babies with you through the course of the adventure. Partners in Time is a really great game and I am sure that once you play it, it will definitely hook you in. So, get it and play it! :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Feb 6, 2006
My fires RPG was FF5. That was like 9 years ago. It kicks ass

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 6, 2006

Gunner Yuna wrote:

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Gunner Yuna wrote:
My very first RPG was Tales of Symphonia (GC).  I got it in Nov. 2004, and I think it's an awesome game.  Definately one of my favorites.  I thought it had an excellent story, and the graphics were breathtaking.  It's battle system is really fun, and I love pulling all sorts of deadly combos, especially with my teammates!  I just completed my second playthrough today, and I'm still awestruck by its magnificence.  Of course, one big contributing factor is that it's an anime RPG.  I LOVE anime!  :smileyhappy:  I also love the length!  It was nice and long, the way I like it.  I don't like it when RPGs end too soon, like Final Fantasy X, so its length was a huge boost for me.  I could play this game for hours and hours on end.

What was your first RPG?  It doesn't even have to be your first, if you didn't like your first one.  Which one was one of your first that you really liked and have a lot of nostalgia for?  Take your time on these.  I look forward to thoughtful answers. 

Symphonia would have an excellent story to someone who hasn't played RPGs a whole lot. No offense, not flaming you. The story is filled with cliches.

I can't remember many RPGs during the SNES or earlier era because frankly, I have no long term memory. However, my first PS1 RPGs were a tag team of FF7 and Xenogears. Both were made by the old Squaresoft. Great games, still had some cliches but not many. Story and gameplay, they were awesome. I just wish they made another Xenogears, instead of the craptastic Xenosaga. They both had twists and turns that kept you on the edge of your seat and made you want to play more.

PS2 has Shadow Hearts, which gave me the same feeling.

Message Edited by DarkCloudLives on 02-04-200601:36 AM

Oh, come on man, you're really on my bad sad for several reasons now!!! First of all, Tales of Symphonia does what the entire Tales series does, stays with the cliches and builds on them. All RPGs are filled with Cliches, I mean, nothing is original under the sun. FFVII had just as many cliches as any other game too, Xenogears was the same thing. You opinion on Xenosaga seems like you barely even played it, or don't understand pacing, cinematics, and storyline building. RPG's are not supposed to be action, they are stories you play. That's why people had a beef with Xenosaga and Xenosaga II, both of which I Love.

Hell, even in Tales of Symphonia they make fun of using cliche lines and attitudes, it's supposed to be that way. They didn't try to do anything innovative, instead, they built on what goes good with a great storyline. Shadow Hearts is historically flawed, and it's produced by Midway....Midway...come on.

I say, to that playing TOS for the first time was a real treat for him. It's just as good as more recent RPGs, I mean, Dragon Quest VIII is so over-hyped it's crazy. It's just been on overload of crap here recently...until FFVII DOC, Xenosaga III, Rogue Galaxy, and some others get here anyways. Tales of Legendia will also be filled with cliches, but the game will be great, hands down.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Feb 6, 2006
Final Fantasy X was my very first RPG game.  I still play it till this day.

My IGN Blog - Latest Entry : Things Will Be Much Different

PSN ID: J-Skee
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15169 posts

Feb 6, 2006
My first was final Fantasy 1 for the NES, and yes I still play it matter of fact I still have the old cart with a working battery.
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 55 (0 Views)
0 Likes