Mar 29 2006
By: thebaldduelist~ Treasure Hunter 6975 posts

Facing the Foes!!!

5 replies 0 views Edited Mar 29, 2006
Well here is the next installment in my non-KH related discussion threads. (ok that is not really their purpose but I hope this one lives a bit longer ) This one is not about the battle system, but rather the enemies themselves.

1. What types of things do you like to see serve as enemies to battle? (normal enemies)

2. Same thing as #1, only for bosses this time, what types of things do you like to see?

3. Do you like enemy lists (bestiary type deals) in RPGs? Will you try and complete them?

4. Do you have any particular enemy dislikes? (normal or boss)

5. What are some of your most memorable enemies/bosses you have encountered in an RPG?

My answers:

1. Just about anything and everything. I love to see weird enemies and the funny ones really get me. You know, the ones that do silly dances, say silly little things, perform funny taunts, etc. These kinds of enemies are great. I like your standard fare monsters too, of course.

2. Well if you can get a boss that does weird and funny things, that would be great as well. But in general I like the psycho type villains that are bosses. None of that misunderstood or doing bad for good reasons nonsense, I want real bad bosses.

3. YES!!!! I love them and will do everything I can to complete them. If I get to the end of the game and realize there is something missing, I will return to every place I ever was and scour the globe looking for it.

4. The boring ol repeat types, I guess. You know the drill. There is wimpy ol Small Ant... later you fight his cousin the Worker Aunt, then his uncle the Soldier Ant, his aunt the Mage Ant, then his big bro the Mega Ant, than his dad the Giga Ant. Eventually you find his mom the Queen Ant and his grandad the Elder Mage Ant. Oh and don't forget about wild other cousin Jimmy, the mutant ant. lol These types of enemies that are just color swapped versions of older enemies get a bit annoying after awhile.  Lack of enemy variety gets to me.

5. Probably too many too list, and this goes for good and bad. Some enemies I will never forget: Metal Slimes, Zophar, ToS' annoying Mandragora enemies, WA's Grow Apples, the Imp in DQ8 that does the Underpants Dance, Kefka, alot of Shadow Hearts twisted enemies, Liz and Ard in WA2, various Ragu O Raglas from WA games, Kaymat (I thin that was the name) who was the final boss of Paladin's Quest and many more.

Message Edited by thebaldduelist on 03-29-200611:18 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (0 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7182 posts

Re: Facing the Foes!!!

Mar 29, 2006
1. What types of things do you like to see serve as enemies to battle? (normal enemies)

I basically enjoy anything that doesn't die in one hit.  There's nothing more time-wasting and stupid than enemies that you can win against guaranteed every single time you go into battle with them.  In my opinion, every enemy should have some kind of "ace up the sleeve" so that even the weaker enemies have some chance of winning.  I also like humorous enemies, either in appearance or things that they say.  However, I dislike stupid enemies that are intended to seem "funny" but end up coming across as extremely annoying.  Kind of like that black cat in Final Fantasy IX that says "Meow, give me a diamond!", and then just runs off with it if you give it to him.  So stupid.

2. Same thing as #1, only for bosses this time, what types of things do you like to see?

I like all kinds of bosses, but the one thing that annoys me is bosses that have no weaknesses!  I mean come on, every boss should have an elemental or status weakness of some kind.  Nothing is all-powerful, if you ask me.

3. Do you like enemy lists (bestiary type deals) in RPGs? Will you try and complete them?

Meh, I don't particularly like them within the actual RPG itself, but I'll complete it if there is one.

Enemies that have no variation in their attacks.  In other words, you already know exactly what they're going to do before they do it.  Like Malboros for example.

5. What are some of your most memorable enemies/bosses you have encountered in an RPG?
  • Jenova (on the ship; FFVII)
  • X-ATM092 (Dollet; FFVIII)
  • Edea (Deling City, parade float; FFVIII)
  • Edea (Galbadia Garden; FFVIII)
  • BGH251F2 (Missile Base; FFVIII)
  • Adel (Lunatic Pandora; FFVIII)
  • Ultimecia (Ultimecia's Castle; FFVIII)
  • Zorn & Thorn (combined; FFIX)
  • Trance Kuja (Memoria; FFIX)
  • Seymour Flux (Mt. Gagazet; FFX)

Sir-Climhazzard, MVP Team Captain
MVP Game Reviews | MVP FAQ | MVP T&C | PS General Guide
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (0 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7822 posts

Mar 30, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:

1. I like a wide variety of enemies. By that I mean, I don't just6 want to fight humans or monsters, but a mixture of all sorts of things. I like anything from cute little rabbit-esque critters to towering mechanical behemoths, just as long as I get a bit of everything.
  2. For bosses, I like to see a figure that is somewhat pertinant to the story. I'm not too fond of the random "boss" battles that seem to serve no purpose except for being another boss battle (see: Abadon- FF VIII).
  3. I do like bestiaries, as it allows me to study my enemies more. While I don't make it a point to complete them, I do enjoy searching the world for fresh, new enemies, especially while item hunting or looking for prime leveling spots.
  4. I wouldn't really say so. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of the incredibly random boss battles, but other than that I have no qualms when it comes to monsters.
  5. Of course, the traditional Tonberry/Cactuar sticks out from the FF series, but there are a few others. I enjoyed the various Flans from FF X, as well as fighting Miss Myao's little kittens (I forgot their names) in Rhapsody. Boss wise (even though the kittens kind of count as bosses) I really enjoyed fighting the Black Waltzes in FF IX and Vegnagun in FF X-2.

Message Edited by random_hero215 on 03-29-200605:37 PM

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1831 posts

Mar 30, 2006

thebaldduelist wrote:
Well here is the next installment in my non-KH related discussion threads. (ok that is not really their purpose but I hope this one lives a bit longer ) This one is not about the battle system, but rather the enemies themselves.

basically, any enemies that make you use moves/skills/magic other than the basic attack function. i like to use a variety os skills/magic but dont use it if there is no point in wasting MP on guys i can kill in 2 friggin hits!

it depends.... i sometimes like bosses with multiple forms (yunalesca, kuja, sephiroth, seymour), bosses with multiple parts that attack like ams and legs and stuff..... things that make for a longer boss battle. other times when i have been battleing a lot of monsters and my hp and mp are low, i like them easy. as always, i also love earning exp points and good/rare items as well as money....

i like when they are put to good use, like the monster arena in FFX. other than that i dont mind, but i do like to see what they all look like.... i hate them if they consist of less than 50 or 60 diff monsters (magna carta only has like 30 i believe....)

enemies that are almost impossible to hit, like flying enemies/birds.... that gets annoying when you attack and miss everytime. as far as bosses, i dont hate any of them really, but i get frusturated a lot....

Seymour Flux, bc i didnt beat him for 2 years (swear on my life).... thats another story in itslef though... well a short story at least.... others include most major bosses towards the end of RPG's and before changin discs, there seem to be some intense boss fights (Jenova for a quick example)

My answers:

1. Just about anything and everything. I love to see weird enemies and the funny ones really get me. You know, the ones that do silly dances, say silly little things, perform funny taunts, etc. These kinds of enemies are great. I like your standard fare monsters too, of course.

2. Well if you can get a boss that does weird and funny things, that would be great as well. But in general I like the psycho type villains that are bosses. None of that misunderstood or doing bad for good reasons nonsense, I want real bad bosses.

3. YES!!!! I love them and will do everything I can to complete them. If I get to the end of the game and realize there is something missing, I will return to every place I ever was and scour the globe looking for it.

4. The boring ol repeat types, I guess. You know the drill. There is wimpy ol Small Ant... later you fight his cousin the Worker Aunt, then his uncle the Soldier Ant, his aunt the Mage Ant, then his big bro the Mega Ant, than his dad the Giga Ant. Eventually you find his mom the Queen Ant and his grandad the Elder Mage Ant. Oh and don't forget about wild other cousin Jimmy, the mutant ant. lol These types of enemies that are just color swapped versions of older enemies get a bit annoying after awhile.  Lack of enemy variety gets to me.

5. Probably too many too list, and this goes for good and bad. Some enemies I will never forget: Metal Slimes, Zophar, ToS' annoying Mandragora enemies, WA's Grow Apples, the Imp in DQ8 that does the Underpants Dance, Kefka, alot of Shadow Hearts twisted enemies, Liz and Ard in WA2, various Ragu O Raglas from WA games, Kaymat (I thin that was the name) who was the final boss of Paladin's Quest and many more.

Message Edited by thebaldduelist on 03-29-200611:18 AM

coming to support your thread!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Mar 30, 2006

Wakka333Blitzer wrote:

I basically enjoy anything that doesn't die in one hit.  There's nothing more time-wasting and stupid than enemies that you can win against guaranteed every single time you go into battle with them.  In my opinion, every enemy should have some kind of "ace up the sleeve" so that even the weaker enemies have some chance of winning.  I also like humorous enemies, either in appearance or things that they say.  However, I dislike stupid enemies that are intended to seem "funny" but end up coming across as extremely annoying.  Kind of like that black cat in Final Fantasy IX that says "Meow, give me a diamond!", and then just runs off with it if you give it to him.  So stupid.

I remember that cat in FF9. Atelier Iris has a cat girl that appears in battle in a certain place, but instead of taking something from you, she gives items to Norn. I think Norn (who is a cat girl) has to be in the battle party though for it to happen. I don't know if she is supposed to be funny, but I thought she was. Of course after I had 9 of everything she gave and 9 was the limit, then she was just corny. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6312 posts

Mar 30, 2006
I like all types of enemies not just different variations. One enemy I found weird is one type of enemy you fight in the tower in the First Shadow Hearts. Let's just say they hit you with one of their extemedies. lol It did surprise me.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (0 Views)
0 Likes