Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 19 2011
By: AbbaZaba23 Splicer 59 posts

FF Battle Systems...Thoughts?

13 replies 16 views Edited Jan 19, 2011

Hey Gamers,

So I'm an avid Final Fantasy fan and, unlike many, played through and completed FFXIII. With yesterday's Square Enix Conference and the release of new info in regards to the whole "Fabula Nova Crystallis" Trilogy (announcement of FFXIII-2 released this winter), I was curious as to what you all thought about the battle systems. I felt FFXIII's was pretty decent; easy to play, hard to master.

From the gameplay of FFversusXIII, it looks like it's adapated a sort of Kingdom Hearts style. I'm a bit old school and (usually) prefer the turn-based system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8e3z9R6uIQ&hd=1 (not sure why it's display is reversed)

What are your faves/hopes for the new FFXIII-2 and FFversusXIII?

Playing: Tales of Xillia / Ni no Kuni; Finished: Lightning Returns; Awaiting: inFAMOUS Second Son; MGS V; FFXV

AbbaZaba23 Trophy Card
Message 1 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
907 posts

Re: FF Battle Systems...Thoughts?

Jan 19, 2011

First, why did you state that you "unlike many" finished XIII? I played through and finished it, and I believe a large number of people did as well. Anyway, getting to the topic at hand, I think Versus' battle system will be fine for what it is, an action RPG. It is reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts because it is the same type of game and less like the Final Fantasy games that are numbered. Concerning XIII I personally hated the battle system. For XIII-2 I hope they make several adjustments including; the ability to control all of your characters, much more depth than spamming the X button and occassionally switching Paradigms, revamping of the "Breaking" system or its complete removal and return to the normal HP based system, less scrolling numbers, and a more traditional slower pacing. I hate feeling like there is no strategy to fights in an RPG because it is going so fast. I too enjoyed the old turn based systems where you had to strategise and plan your moves and exploit an enemy's weaknesses.

Message 2 of 14 (16 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Jan 19, 2011

I don't mind much, I'm very lenient when it comes to games and not as nitpicky as some, still haven't 13 yet.

And FYI, Versus is being made by the KH Dev team, so you'll probably see some similarities, along with the music.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Message 3 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Groovy341 wrote:

First, why did you state that you "unlike many" finished XIII? I played through and finished it, and I believe a large number of people did as well. Anyway, getting to the topic at hand, I think Versus' battle system will be fine for what it is, an action RPG. It is reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts because it is the same type of game and less like the Final Fantasy games that are numbered. Concerning XIII I personally hated the battle system. For XIII-2 I hope they make several adjustments including; the ability to control all of your characters, much more depth than spamming the X button and occassionally switching Paradigms, revamping of the "Breaking" system or its complete removal and return to the normal HP based system, less scrolling numbers, and a more traditional slower pacing. I hate feeling like there is no strategy to fights in an RPG because it is going so fast. I too enjoyed the old turn based systems where you had to strategise and plan your moves and exploit an enemy's weaknesses.

I'm going to have to say the exact same thing.

However, Square-Enix has no interest in doing ATB or turn-based style games so if anything XIII-2 will go further towards the Action RPG side. ATB/turn-based died with the merger. It's a damn shame too, I really liked the gameplay mechanics they used in the past, and there is so much room for inovation in turn-based gameplay.

Message 4 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Groovy341 wrote:

I hate feeling like there is no strategy to fights in an RPG because it is going so fast. I too enjoyed the old turn based systems where you had to strategise and plan your moves and exploit an enemy's weaknesses.

IDK man, most RPGs I've played, I didn't feel like there was some strategy in random battles, I just spammed Attack with an occasional spell or two. But that's probably because I just got used to it over time. Although I can think of some action RPGs that require some strategy.

Message 5 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
907 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Myth384 wrote:

Groovy341 wrote:

I hate feeling like there is no strategy to fights in an RPG because it is going so fast. I too enjoyed the old turn based systems where you had to strategise and plan your moves and exploit an enemy's weaknesses.

IDK man, most RPGs I've played, I didn't feel like there was some strategy in random battles, I just spammed Attack with an occasional spell or two. But that's probably because I just got used to it over time. Although I can think of some action RPGs that require some strategy.

I guess it really just comes down to preference. I love both types of RPGs but never felt like action oriented RPGs were all that strategic where as menu based JRPG battle systems seemed to rely on you using the proper magic, when to defend, and the like. It would just be nice if there were options for both camps. I mean we have plenty of action RPGs but turned based games are few and far between.

Message 6 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Jan 19, 2011

Groovy341 wrote:

Myth384 wrote:

Groovy341 wrote:

I guess it really just comes down to preference. I love both types of RPGs but never felt like action oriented RPGs were all that strategic where as menu based JRPG battle systems seemed to rely on you using the proper magic, when to defend, and the like. It would just be nice if there were options for both camps. I mean we have plenty of action RPGs but turned based games are few and far between.

Hey I like enjoy both formats as well, altough I do wish there was some strategy at times, at least on regular enemies anyways.

And the closest thing I've played to a turn based action RPG is probably Valkyrie Profile, and hell it's even a platformer as well.

Message 7 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 19, 2011

@ colstripcapn

It would be nice if Square did another title in the same vain as FFIX or X-2.  Specifically IX, I love it's setup.  Each character had a designated class/role and I liked the direction they went with learning abilities (equipping weapons/armor/accessories and as you battled, you earned points towards mastering those abilities so you didn't need that specific equip anymore).  Even doing something like that on the PSP would be fitting but from looking at Agito, it looks like they're leaning more towards 'Action'.  Apparently most companies think turn-based isn't wanted any more sadly.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 8 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Jan 20, 2011

Myth384 wrote:

Although I can think of some action RPGs that require some strategy.

Mm. Resonance of Fate maybe being the best attempt in a while, since at least Grandia 2, and maybe Suikoden 4.. Used to be that devs picked turn-based systems because there really were no other way to get the complex rules, or overly dramatic animation into the game-flow. But hopefully we'll see more titles that use strategic pauses and layouts to make the combat more interesting..

..guess I would be the first to buy a turn-based game for some move-based controller similar to Silent Storm, though Imagine that - an actually good turn-based game that works. ...as an abstraction for all kinds of complex decisions you would make if you actually controlled the people on the battlefield - instead of just cutting up the action in chunks, like the FF games..

Message 9 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2392 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I liked Final Fantasy 12 the best.  That was my favorite Final Fantasy.  I did not like 10, 10-2, 11, or 13.  13 was the worst Final Fantasy ever.  It was all about special effects, cutting edge technology, and being overly creative.  They forgot about making the game fun as well as having a good down to earth story (not a story that gets stupider and stupider the father you get).  I would love to see another Final Fantasy game like 12, or even 7 (that's my second favorite FF game).  I guess we all just have are own opinions on how an RPG should be.

Message 10 of 14 (16 Views)
0 Likes