Mar 03 2006
By: Tinkerbell_Moon Survivor 2991 posts

Dragon Quest

8 replies 1 views Edited Mar 3, 2006
I have heard much talk on this board about Dragon Quest.   I have a very eclectic taste in games which stretches from Resident Evil to Mario but I lean more towards RPG's than any other.  I tried to do some research about DQ online, but I think I will get better feedback from someone who has played it.  I'm a big fan of KH of course, also Dark Cloud and Zelda and from the graphics it looks as if it would fall into their category.   Can it be compared to any of these?   I don't mean whether it is better or worse but as far as gameplay is concerned.  Also I would like to know what battle system is in place for the game. 
Photobucket
Message 1 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2715 posts

Re: Dragon Quest

Mar 3, 2006
DQ8 is actually developed by Level 5. The guys behind the Dark Cloud series. I played both DC games and i find that DQ is similar in some way. The only thing is that the battle is Turn Based. Meaning the characters take one turn then the enemy goes. Like that. It starts off a little slow but picks up after awhile. I would give it a 9. Maybe you should rent it to see if you think its worth a purchase.

Message Edited by AGENT ZER0 on 03-03-200602:24 PM

Message 2 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Mar 3, 2006
My quick thoughts on DQVIII,

*  This game has the BEST exploration out of all the RPGs to come out this generation HANDS DOWN!!!  I enjoyed the freedom to explore very much on this game.

*  I really appreciated the fact that this game got right to the GAMING!!!  No 2hr movie sequences before getting to play the game.  No long boring cut scenes.  Just good ole fashioned gaming.

*  The combat system on this game left a bit to be desired to me.  It was a tad boring and did not give me the control over my characters that I like to have in an RPG.  That lack of control caused many battles to last longer than they should have.  I ended up just programming the AI of the other characters and just controlling the lead character.

*  The story is pretty straight forward and basic.  Nothing that is going to wow you.

*  The characters in this game were pretty dang boring to me.  I really did not connect with any of them on any real level.  And while many of the foes were intended to be funny, many of the main bosses were just corny. 

Overall I think DQVIII is definitely an above average game.  One of the better games to come out during the PS2 generation but not something that is going to make you jump off the empire state building with joy.  I have my own personal beefs with the game that I won't go too deep into, but I'd say give it a shot. 
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 3 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2991 posts

Mar 3, 2006
Thank you so much for the in-depth explanation on the game, it's much appreciated as you have saved me a lot of time and money.  I just cannot work with a turn-based battle system.   I first encountered turn-based fighting in FF and please feel free to have a good laugh at this one, I thought my controller was broken as he was beating the tar out of me and I couldn't fight back.  I'm one of these people who work without a guide, so at first I have no clue what I'm, sort of on the job training.  After some insight from a young friend who explained the turn-based system, I gave him the FF games I had bought and said a fond farewell to turn-based battles forever.  It's a shame as DQ sounds like a really great game.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Mar 3, 2006

Valkyrie42 wrote:
Thank you so much for the in-depth explanation on the game, it's much appreciated as you have saved me a lot of time and money.  I just cannot work with a turn-based battle system.   I first encountered turn-based fighting in FF and please feel free to have a good laugh at this one, I thought my controller was broken as he was beating the tar out of me and I couldn't fight back.  I'm one of these people who work without a guide, so at first I have no clue what I'm, sort of on the job training.  After some insight from a young friend who explained the turn-based system, I gave him the FF games I had bought and said a fond farewell to turn-based battles forever.  It's a shame as DQ sounds like a really great game.

It's very good.  I would personally not call it great, but there are about 70 other people on this forum that would definitely call it great.  I'm just one of those people that does not get wow'd very easily.  I'm not hard to please, but I don't toss around words like "Great" and "Excellent" so freely. 

While I believe there is a place for the turn based concept, I believe that in 2006 RPGs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind where they should be overall when it comes to innovation with turn based battles.  Games like Shadow Hearts pull off turn based VERY well.  Games like DQVIII make battles pretty dang boring.  Grandia III also has an innovative turn based system.  But on the grand scale, developers are continuing to develop very lazily when it comes to turn based games.  But we continue to pay millions for the games, so why would they improve something that is already a cash cow?
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 5 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Mar 3, 2006

Blaq wrote:

Valkyrie42 wrote:

It's very good.  I would personally not call it great, but there are about 70 other people on this forum that would definitely call it great.  I'm just one of those people that does not get wow'd very easily.  I'm not hard to please, but I don't toss around words like "Great" and "Excellent" so freely. 

While I believe there is a place for the turn based concept, I believe that in 2006 RPGs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind where they should be overall when it comes to innovation with turn based battles.  Games like Shadow Hearts pull off turn based VERY well.  Games like DQVIII make battles pretty dang boring.  Grandia III also has an innovative turn based system.  But on the grand scale, developers are continuing to develop very lazily when it comes to turn based games.  But we continue to pay millions for the games, so why would they improve something that is already a cash cow?

Are you ever wow'ed at all?

I thought DQ8 was very well done, probably not the greatest thing in the world, but on the grand scale of things, it is probably one of the better RPGs this generation.

To be honest, I don't see turn-based RPGs lasting very much longer. The newer gamers are wanting more and more button mashing, like Kingdom Hearts, than games like Shadow Hearts or the older Final Fantasies. I honestly think that the PS3 might be the last generation of console gaming for me as I don't see many good RPGs left in the future. Traditional RPGs are being replaced by western/action RPGs and those RPGs are eventually going to be replaced by 10 hour action games with 40 hours of CG. 
Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Message 6 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Mar 3, 2006

DarkCloudLives wrote:

Blaq wrote:

Valkyrie42 wrote:

Are you ever wow'ed at all?

I thought DQ8 was very well done, probably not the greatest thing in the world, but on the grand scale of things, it is probably one of the better RPGs this generation.

To be honest, I don't see turn-based RPGs lasting very much longer. The newer gamers are wanting more and more button mashing, like Kingdom Hearts, than games like Shadow Hearts or the older Final Fantasies. I honestly think that the PS3 might be the last generation of console gaming for me as I don't see many good RPGs left in the future. Traditional RPGs are being replaced by western/action RPGs and those RPGs are eventually going to be replaced by 10 hour action games with 40 hours of CG. 

I agree that DQ8 was definitely one of the best this Gen.  But I can't just call it great solely because it is great compared to the mounds of trash that this generation shatted out. 

The saddest part about the Turn Based vs Action debate is this:

With Action based, there is so much more you can do to make combat more innovative and strategic than turnbased.   But because developers are LAZY, there are very few games with this type of system.  So the die hards like you and me reject the action based concept because what we've seen thus far has been pretty much terrible.  As a result, I'm torn between the limits that Turn Based cannot break and the unreached potential that the action based concept has.  A tuff place to be indeed. 

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 7 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Mar 4, 2006
Dragon Quest 8 rocks! 
Message 8 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Mar 4, 2006

Valkyrie42 wrote:

Well even though you made up your mind I will offer my two cent's worth anyway. lol Below is the link to my final thoughts post. It covers the gameplay in detail (better than I could off the top of my head). But yes it is turn based so in the end, if you don't care for it, then DQ8 will not be for you.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=rpg&message.id=285040&query.id=47...

Message 9 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes