Feb 14 2006
By: banedraven~ Treasure Hunter 7811 posts

Dragon Quest VIII (What's So Great About It?) "Spoilerama"

25 replies 1 views Edited Feb 14, 2006
I want to see what your opinions are to the topic. We all have personal reasons for not liking games, so, if you flame, don't flame personal things, otherwise, I'm ready for flames. I'm getting used to them.

What's So Great About It?

What is so great about DQVIII? Not that much to me. Hey, I Loved playing it and the graphics were really good, besides the slow-down and glitches. The religion thing was kinda of dumb, and the story...is one of few games that promised big story but whimpered out. Don't get me wrong, the characters are really fun to attach to and have tons of charisma. But, In my mind, it couldn't compare to FFVI, FFIV, Chrono Trigger or many other SNES games. Rhapthorne...was one of the dumbest end bosses ever, it was so RPG-Stereo Typical. It didn't do anything to push the envelope like say...Xenogears...where you actually destory "GOD". I think many are to quick to Love the game, and too many under-mind it's faults and sub-par story, pacing, and climax. Maybe if Princess Medea died trying to save "HERO" it would have been better...yeah, surely better, or maybe even King Trode. NPC's deaths don't count, because we can't really attach to them unless written well. Anything shocking would have been a major plus to the story. Dragon Quest isn't the type to push new ideas though, they stick with what they know. The best parts of the game for me, is the priests praying to see Jessica's curves, or priests getting drunk...that's more like it. I know that's kinda of crazy, but, for me, it was the best parts...because we all knew the end boss, that Medea and HERO were going to end up together, that everyone and everything would be turned back to normal.

Message Edited by banedraven on 02-13-200611:34 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 1 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Re: Dragon Quest VIII (What's So Great About It?)

Feb 14, 2006
Everything is so great about it. The music, gameplay, characters, graphics, style. Everything about it is great

BTW your post needs a spoiler warning

Message Edited by fs_metal on 02-13-200609:24 PM

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Joined GAP: 6-2-06
Message 2 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 14, 2006

fs_metal wrote:
Everything is so great about it. The music, gameplay, characters, graphics, style. Everything about it is great

Thanks for reminding me about the spoiler...I fail to remember to put that on there at times. By the way, is that an avatar of Cain.
Message 3 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 14, 2006

fs_metal wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about the spoiler...I fail to remember to put that on there at times. By the way, is that an avatar of Cain?
Message 4 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Feb 14, 2006

fs_metal wrote:

It does have a Spoiler warning it says"Spoilerama"

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Message 5 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Feb 14, 2006

banedraven wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about the spoiler...I fail to remember to put that on there at times. By the way, is that an avatar of Cain.

Indeed, that is Cain in my avatar

Message 6 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7716 posts

Feb 14, 2006

Mythrill wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

It didn't originally

Message 7 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 14, 2006

Mythrill wrote:

fs_metal wrote:

It didn't at first homie.
Message 8 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Re: Dragon Quest VIII (What's So Great About It?) "Spoilerama"

Feb 14, 2006

banedraven wrote:
I want to see what your opinions are to the topic. We all have personal reasons for not liking games, so, if you flame, don't flame personal things, otherwise, I'm ready for flames. I'm getting used to them.

What is so great about DQVIII? Not that much to me. Hey, I Loved playing it and the graphics were really good, besides the slow-down and glitches. The religion thing was kinda of dumb, and the story...is one of few games that promised big story but whimpered out. Don't get me wrong, the characters are really fun to attach to and have tons of charisma. But, In my mind, it couldn't compare to FFVI, FFIV, Chrono Trigger or many other SNES games. Rhapthorne...was one of the dumbest end bosses ever, it was so RPG-Stereo Typical. It didn't do anything to push the envelope like say...Xenogears...where you actually destory "GOD". I think many are to quick to Love the game, and too many under-mind it's faults and sub-par story, pacing, and climax. Maybe if Princess Medea died trying to save "HERO" it would have been better...yeah, surely better, or maybe even King Trode. NPC's deaths don't count, because we can't really attach to them unless written well. Anything shocking would have been a major plus to the story. Dragon Quest isn't the type to push new ideas though, they stick with what they know. The best parts of the game for me, is the priests praying to see Jessica's curves, or priests getting drunk...that's more like it. I know that's kinda of crazy, but, for me, it was the best parts...because we all knew the end boss, that Medea and HERO were going to end up together, that everyone and everything would be turned back to normal.

Message Edited by banedraven on 02-13-200611:31 PM

Message Edited by banedraven on 02-13-200611:32 PM

Not that much to me either. 

I will say the following were great:

Graphics: Great
Exploration: Great

I will say this about the rest:

Story: Pretty Wack in my opinion.  Or non existant
Characters:  Annoying.  I don't like mutes.  Angelo and Jessica did little to add personality.  Yangus was the only one I liked.
Combat System:  Primative, boring, unimaginative, no innovation, need I go on?
Leveling/Customizing:  Sure if you wanna spend 8hrs fighting
Sound:  This game is basically like listening to a seizure

This game would have been more enjoyable if this was 15 years ago and I was still a highschool kid with nothing but free time on my hands.  Especially on a summer break.  This game requires way to much time just to do simple things.  And the combat system was unforgiveable.  I understand staying "true to your roots", but know when to frickin say when.  Sheeeesh.  It's like I tell my parents every year at new years.  WE ARE NOT SLAVES ANYMORE!!! So why do we eat food like chitlins as a tradition just because the slaves ate them?  Sometimes you just gotta draw the line.     Oh by the way, for those of you that did not grow up in a black family or just didn't know, chitlins are pig intestines. 

So basically, playing this game for me was like the time my mother forced me to eat chitlins.  Sure, I payed homage to my heritage and roots, but was it really necessary when I could have eaten a steak? 

All jokes aside.  DQVIII was an average RPG with awesome exploration.  Honestly, I think there have been so many duds come out in years past that anytime some of you on this board get thrown a bone like a world map, you lose your mind. 

Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Message 9 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Re: Dragon Quest VIII (What's So Great About It?) "Spoilerama"

Feb 14, 2006

banedraven wrote:

Message Edited by banedraven on 02-13-200611:34 PM

Well you basically described every reason why I liked DQ8. The story isn't overly deep and complicated like many of todays Rpg story's which tend to go on and on then have an ending that doesnt always make much sense. DQ8 might have a "on the rails" sort of story, but I still found it interesting throughout. Also I really dont like the way some of todays battle systems are. Some are in real time which may be good or bad depending on who you ask (Ex:FFXII) while some are just bizzare (Wild Arms 4, Final Fantasy 8), DQ8 uses an old fashion battle system right out of 1995 with a few modern twists keeping it less complictaed and much easier to understand. On top of all that the world of DQ8 is possibly the biggest Rpg world ever made with more than enough content to keep you busy for about 40-80 hours(maybe more) after you beat the main story. For that and many more reasons, DQ8 was more than worth my $50.

Message Edited by Dannyboy2k4 on 02-13-200609:53 PM

Message 10 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes