Feb 19 2006
By: ArcticZombie~ Gaming Beast 2521 posts

Do you think the RPG genre should change its name?

13 replies 0 views Edited Feb 19, 2006
I don't agree with the name of this genre being RPG. 
The only RPG I've ever played, that I would consider a true RPG, would be FFXI.  You have to name your character, choose your look, choose a job, cultural background, which goals to accomplish, and most importantly:  You have to be the personality your character.  THAT is playing a role.  Other than FFXI, I would have to say I've ever felt totally involved to the point with any "RPG", that I would call it a Role Playing Game.  The 2 defining traits of this genre are:
The Adventure part and The Battles.
To keep it a bit short, I think RPG's boil down to this:  An adventure game with strategicaly fought battles.  So, I think a term like "Adventure Strategy Game" or "Tactical Adventure Game" would be more appropriate.
So imo:  MMORPG's should be called RPG's.  And RPG's should be called something like "Adventure Strategy Games." 
Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5038 posts

Re: Do you think the RPG genre should change its name?

Feb 19, 2006

ArcticZombie wrote:
I don't agree with the name of this genre being RPG. 
The only RPG I've ever played, that I would consider a true RPG, would be FFXI.  You have to name your character, choose your look, choose a job, cultural background, which goals to accomplish, and most importantly:  You have to be the personality your character.  THAT is playing a role.  Other than FFXI, I would have to say I've ever felt totally involved to the point with any "RPG", that I would call it a Role Playing Game.  The 2 defining traits of this genre are:
The Adventure part and The Battles.
To keep it a bit short, I think RPG's boil down to this:  An adventure game with strategicaly fought battles.  So, I think a term like "Adventure Strategy Game" or "Tactical Adventure Game" would be more appropriate.
So imo:  MMORPG's should be called RPG's.  And RPG's should be called something like "Adventure Strategy Games." 
Any thoughts?

Actually in every single videogame (...ok, almost) you take the role of a character, can be crash, spyro, mario, cloud, and maybe the name isn't the best, but surely sounds better than your option...Adventure games are in a different area and that means every area would have to be renamed....I like RPG
Message 2 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5797 posts

Feb 19, 2006
Nope. RPG stays. Role Playing Game means that we play roles, not create them. I don't like the word "tactical" and "strategy" being mentioned. I would consider a battle as a battle and to win them is by skills, not strategy .Those words never existed. Kidding, "strategy"  reminds me of SRPG, a genre I hated the most. :smileytongue:
www.myspace.com/calamity_my_fantasy

Want a link? Go to hell.
Message 3 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2521 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Calamity My Fantasy wrote:
Nope. RPG stays. Role Playing Game means that we play roles, not create them. I don't like the word "tactical" and "strategy" being mentioned. I would consider a battle as a battle and to win them is by skills, not strategy .Those words never existed. Kidding, "strategy"  reminds me of SRPG, a genre I hated the most. :smileytongue:

So you think skills have nothing to do with having a strategy?  It's practically everything.
Message 4 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5797 posts

Feb 19, 2006

ArcticZombie wrote:

Calamity My Fantasy wrote:

So you think skills have nothing to do with having a strategy?  It's practically everything.

Read my last line. I was KIDDING! Lolz.
www.myspace.com/calamity_my_fantasy

Want a link? Go to hell.
Message 5 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 19, 2006
The term "role-playing game" is used for a few distinct methods of play. The traditional method is a pen-and-paper game played with dice by several people. These frequently use several types of polyhedral dice. Some games and gamers also use figurines on a grid (usually a square or hexagonal one) to depict strategic and tactical situations for play.

From this spawned several PC RPG games, and then the evolution started with each leap of technology. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy revolutionized the Console Genre, and since then..."role-playing games" became a fan favorite among imaginative gamers everywhere.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 6 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts

Feb 19, 2006
Well thats why certain games have names added to RPG. For example, Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG. So for some games they do differentiate.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Message 7 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 19, 2006
Hey Xabrin, I don't agree with your sig.

No one starts out understanding anything, it's all about leeching knowledge. That's how you learn. You have to gradually learn things, and that's the way it works. You could say that you basically leech everything in your life from other people/things/ideas and anything else. You don't start out as a kid knowing everything, you're taught, and you'll continue to do this until you die.

Bane Draven- Even the greatest inventions are thoughts brought upon by other ideas.
Message 8 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts

Feb 19, 2006

banedraven wrote:

No one starts out understanding anything, it's all about leeching knowledge. That's how you learn. You have to gradually learn things, and that's the way it works. You could say that you basically leech everything in your life from other people/things/ideas and anything else. You don't start out as a kid knowing everything, you're taught, and you'll continue to do this until you die.

Bane Draven- Even the greatest inventions are thoughts brought upon by other ideas.

Dude, I didn't mean anything by it. Its actually a quote from Ansem in Kingdom Hearts. Thats it.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Message 9 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7811 posts

Feb 19, 2006

Xabrin wrote:

banedraven wrote:

Dude, I didn't mean anything by it. Its actually a quote from Ansem in Kingdom Hearts. Thats it.

Oh, I know, but I just had to give my opinionated statement on your sig/quote.
Message 10 of 14 (0 Views)
0 Likes