Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Re: Cancelled my FFXIII order and get Star Ocean the Last Hope

Feb 24, 2010

Korbei83 wrote:

Is this the Consumer Affairs forum? I didn't know there was such a thing.

No one here gives half a crap about your purchases, trade-ins or pre-orders. FACT. Get over yourself. 

TROLL!

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 42 (1 View)
Uncharted Territory
1509 posts

Feb 25, 2010

piggie_pie wrote:

Sadaiyappan wrote:
FFXIII has crisper graphics, but it looks like Star Ocean has cooler effects during combat.

I can tell you that your opinion is kinda like mine... SURE FF13 is going to have some GREAT graphics but from what I read in the last Gameinformer I was starting to get iffy on the idea of buying it... Although I have FF13 game and guide paid for and I will still be picking it up on day one BUT, Im playing Star Ocean right now and I can say that I am loving every second of it... The combat is really fun so I pick fights with every monster I see and if you are the kind of person who likes to "grind" there are benefits to doing so... You can create new armor, weapons, accessories, and food... All of the characters are playable in battle... It has a lot of things that I look for in an RPG.

Im lovin my SO purchase and Im not THAT Big of an RPG fan. I haven't been able to chain the whole group together for a Rush attack, but IM looking forward to it and the graphics it will create. I really like how fun it is to time the blindside attacks. I get a little frame drop on battle cut scenes sometimes. I love the colors but I set my TV on Movie mode so it softens it up a little and its not so bright, the effect is really nice on my  Vizio 55' LED. I need to get back to Demons souls, I bought it on release date, and I still have a lot to do. This is a nice alternative though when IM feeling laid back. I was working Dragons age on the other box on a gamefly rental but I will give it back and buy it if they come out with a GOTY edition. I have that other space based RPG that I need to start also. EA sent it to me for 45.00 new so I didn't want to pass it up. I liked the first one.

I keep gravitating  back to SO for the moment. 8-10 or so hours in and only one trophy though. Im really cruising though no rush. I don't pass up a fight. Grind grind grind.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7477 posts

Feb 25, 2010

Sadaiyappan wrote:
FFXIII has crisper graphics, but it looks like Star Ocean has cooler effects during combat.

Most of what we have seen of Final Fantasy XIII's battle effects are from early on in the game excluding the summons of course. As the game progresses bigger more effects worthy spells and abilities should be coming to the player in the typical Final Fantasy fashion. After all when has Square ever shown off Ultima or Meteo in the initial batch of videos and press materials?

Most of the stuff on Youtube is now player based stuff so gamers are putting up these cool battle sequences that look all pretty which really isn't fair to judge.

Just my thoughts on the matter. PErsonally I feel FFXIII will be a bit more epic than Star Ocean is capable of being.
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2449 posts

Feb 25, 2010
Im soo glad i changed my pre-order from FF to DI.
3° FreeMason
PS3 60gb (HDMI)
Samsung LN-T4065F (1008/1028)
Samsung HT-AS720 5.1 Surround Sound (HDMI)
Games: Skate, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Devil May Cry 4, Bladestorm: 100 years war, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Little Big Planet, Afro Samurai, Batman: Arkham Asylum., Borderlands., Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time., Darksiders, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, God of War III, Red Dead Redemption, Eternal Sonata, Blur, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Red Faction: GuerrillaSuper, Street Fighter IV, Assassin's Creed 2.
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Feb 25, 2010

Korbei83 wrote:

Is this the Consumer Affairs forum? I didn't know there was such a thing.

No one here gives half a crap about your purchases, trade-ins or pre-orders. FACT. Get over yourself. 

Actually it seems people do, if you'd take the time to read the responses.  There is such a thing as someone wanting to start a conversation on a topic.  Or would you rather the forums were all empty with no one saying anything?  

FACT. Go do something useful with your time instead of posting useless comments.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Feb 25, 2010
Star Ocean is a solid game, it just gets a bad rap because of the new generation of gamers who are either used to WRPGs or refuse to believe any game can be good that isn't a FPS.   The story can be a bit cliche and cheesy, but 90% of JRPG's story are like that.   I am enjoying the game, plus if you are OCD in games...this will have more replay value then FFXIII.  Although I see no reason, other then finaces that would stop anyone from getting both.  
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
967 posts

Feb 26, 2010

DagothGares wrote:
A choice you will soon regret. I played SO4 on the 360, and the battles are just button mashing repetitiveness. Cancel it while you can and preorder ff13 again... Also the story in SO4 is pretty bad.

FF13 is practically the same thing. At some point, you'll find yourself mashing the same attacks over and over again for the same battle even if you're under leveled. Sure you can Optima Change and stuff, but you'll rarely do that for normal battles. 

As for replayability, FF13 pretty much has none. End game is a grindfest (and you'll have to grind more hours than you actually put into the story). Needless to say, I got bored of grinding on the same monsters over and over.

From what I remember of SO3, there were actually extra dungeons and stuff as well as different difficulty levels and if SO4 is anything like it, I feel that it'll offer more. 

I still like FF13 to a certain point, but I just feel this final fantasy doesn't offer as much as the previous ones did. 

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Feb 26, 2010
All i can say is why?     if the effects during battle sequences change your mind, then you need to read up and compare the 2 games.  But even still get star ocean, you will then break down and get FF as well......
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Feb 26, 2010

Final fantasy is still a day one purchase for me, only because I have bought every FF title since I was a little bas4rd.... Though I am not nearly as pumped for it as I used to be for FF titles... especially since they have turned it into a very linear game (no open world to explore, no towns) thats a step in the wrong direction for me and many fans, the story does not look very good this time around, I could care less about its snazzy graphics, many games look great nowadays, but that changes nothing in how good they are... I already own So4 on the other system, and did not really like it, the combat was ok, but as others have already stated there is little to no strategy involved, button mashing will get you by... IMO the story was extremely weak (probably cuz I'm an adult now and stories about kids saving the the world are ridiculous)

The voice acting was equally horrible (Limmel anyone?)

on all those notes I personally can't wait for Resonance of Fate, which is my most anticipated RPG in years, I honestly believe it is going to be much better than FFXIII or So4. Combat system looks awesome, tons of customisation for characters and weapons, (no open world to explore either) but the hex system sounds very interesting, the story seems to actually be decent, the town exploration in it reminds me alot of Valkyrie profile which I loved... I really hope RoF dosen't get totally overshadowed by Final Fantasy seeing as it comes out the week after (same Day as G0W3... Yikes!)

All I do know is March is gonna be the best gaming month of the year (also my Birthday month) Battlefield Bad company 2: 3/2/1... Lunar Silver star Harmony: 3/2...

MLB 10 3/2.... Final fantasy 3/9.... yakuza 3: 3/9.... Dragon Age:awakening 3/16... GoW 3/16.... Resonance of Fate 3/16... just Cause 2: 3/23... SMT:smileyfrustrated:trange Journey 3/23

I'm gonna be busy for a long... long time...

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Feb 26, 2010
SO is boring. tried it on other sys and hated its repetitiveness and battle system. traded it in and dont regret it.. Ff 13 is going to be great. Nuff said.
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 42 (1 View)
0 Likes