Dec 12 2009
By: HockeyFoo I Only Post Everything 1278 posts

Borderlands Modded Weapons?

11 replies 747 views Edited Dec 12, 2009

Last night at around 230 AM (mountain time) a guy who was a level 1,000,000 joined me and friends Borderlands game. He gave us some weapons what are like 3000+ dmg and they were an odd orange color (darker than the actual orange color for classification of weapons). Should we get rid of the weapons? Can we use them in single player?

We just want to be sure we dont get in trouble.

HockeyFoo
^Please Join, say HockeyFoo recruited you, THANKS!^
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Re: Borderlands Modded Weapons?

Dec 12, 2009

HockeyFoo wrote:

Last night at around 230 AM (mountain time) a guy who was a level 1,000,000 joined me and friends Borderlands game. He gave us some weapons what are like 3000+ dmg and they were an odd orange color (darker than the actual orange color for classification of weapons). Should we get rid of the weapons? Can we use them in single player?

I am a witniss to this as I was playing borderlands with HockeyFoo last night.

Same question... Are we gonna get in trouble for this???

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
867 posts

Dec 12, 2009
No, I don't think you're going to get in trouble.  There are threads on the Gearbox's Borderlands forums about weapon and character modding.  The dev's don't seem to mind.  I just hope it doesn't get out of hand, it seems like it could ruin the game if everyone was doing it.  It takes some of the fun out of coming across gun boxes if you know you're not going to find anything better than what you have.  And being able to kill anything in a shot or two takes away any challenge. 
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1278 posts

Dec 13, 2009

scoots_mcgee wrote:
No, I don't think you're going to get in trouble.  There are threads on the Gearbox's Borderlands forums about weapon and character modding.  The dev's don't seem to mind.  I just hope it doesn't get out of hand, it seems like it could ruin the game if everyone was doing it.  It takes some of the fun out of coming across gun boxes if you know you're not going to find anything better than what you have.  And being able to kill anything in a shot or two takes away any challenge. 

Ill ask around those forums just to be sure.

HockeyFoo
^Please Join, say HockeyFoo recruited you, THANKS!^
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Dec 13, 2009
It is done by hex editing, which if you look at the 'trading' and 'gear chat' boards you'll see is fairly common. The devs don't seem to have any objections to it though gamers are on both sides of the fence. Personally I think it just cheapens the game as the whole point is to try and find that rare weapon. The game isn't that difficult to begin with. I'd pass on those items.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Dec 13, 2009

The game is fun without the hexing but I guess I am more worried about weather or not it will get us in trouble (A trusted friend of mine told me that he read online of about 2500 people getting banned for cheating playing MW2)... So that's kinda the jist of the thread... we are trying to probe the community to see if this sort of thing will get US banned...

After beating the game a few times and playing the DLC and getting a Platinum trophy we wanted something else for our own amusement... its not so much for cheating in online play...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Dec 14, 2009

I've also happened to run into a few players who either dropped some weapons that seemed like they were too good to be true or seemed to be doing ridiculous amount of damage to mobs.  How is it possible to kill a badass mob with 1 or 2 shots?  I saw a guy who was holding a combat rifle that killed a few badass mobs in 1 very short burst fire.  Not only that, most of these people seemed to thrive on challenging people out to a duel, to prove a point that they have some super powerful weapon.

It's weird because I thought yellow weapons were the best of its kind, but I have seen and even received weapons that seemed to glow in more like an orange color with much better stats.  Some guy gave me a combat rifle with a level 33 requirement that seemed ridiculously powerful.

I don't care if people use modded weapons but sometimes if they happen to be in your game killing everything in 1 or 2 shots, it really disrupts the fun of playing the game.  Besides that, just like piggie and Hockey said, the last thing I want happened to me is to lose my character because I happened to be using something that was hacked, without even knowing for sure if the weapon(s) in question were legit or not.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2134 posts

Dec 16, 2009

HockeyFoo wrote:

I would like to know if the Weapons are even close to your levels or not? if they are at your levels I would keep them. Even if they werent at your levels lol I keep them just to have them for safe keeping when we get our Cap levels up more. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
371 posts

Dec 16, 2009
The gods of Pandora have given you a mighty treasure Lol
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Dec 16, 2009

Dr_Train wrote:
The gods of Pandora have given you a mighty treasure Lol

BORDERLANDS not GOD OF WAR silly!!!   LOL (Im playing God of War: collection right now!)

After my friend told me that i was gonna get kicked off the online play I was freaked out... So I told HockeyFoo what I had learned and he posted this thread... it seems like we should be fine because this game is not much of a "competitive" online game like MW2

Thank you everyone for your feedback and thanks HockeyFoo for posting this thread... I hope more people share what they have learned too...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (747 Views)
0 Likes