Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
6969 posts

Re: And with this Quote, I've confirmed that I will pass on Shadow Hearts 3

Feb 22, 2006
I stand on the fence when it comes to character customization.... I like how Shadow Hearts and FFXI gives each character a set of abilities, and from that you can build them into the story. Vivi, a Black Mage, with Black Magic, etc... is from Black Mage village, where he was able to learn about himself through other people like him.

In Final Fantasy VII or Chrono Cross, you can attach whatever you wish magic-wise, with only the weapons they use making them unique. You can build any character in nearly any way you wish (although there are characters who obviously excel in one thing or another), but in a way that defeats the purpose of having multipul characters. You can play through FF7 or Chrono Cross with the same party every time, but always give the character a different role in the party. With Chrono Cross you can go based on ability, and build a different party for a different experence.

World maps... Breath of Fire 4 was the first RPG I owned that used a "point and click" world map (I think...) Then FFX and SH. Having an explorable world map does add a lot of depth to a RPG, although its not required. I just hope it doesn't become a habit of dev's.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Feb 22, 2006
You guys mention world map; however, those games like to put you in a random encounter mode.  That big thing heavily discourages exploration because it is extremely annoying.  It's better to have a small world if the game implements the annoying random encounter feature.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games,"

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5401 posts

Feb 22, 2006

elderscrolls wrote:
You guys mention world map; however, those games like to put you in a random encounter mode.  That big thing heavily discourages exploration because it is extremely annoying.  It's better to have a small world if the game implements the annoying random encounter feature.

I don't find it annoying. Dragon Quest VIII has, by far, the biggest world map in any game I've seen, and it uses random encounters.  It's not an issue with me.

~ Credit to MaggIvy for making me this beautiful sig! Thanks! ~
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6975 posts

Feb 23, 2006

Mastervivi wrote:
Shadow Hearts should stick with the Historical track they've been going. Although its VERY loose on history, it makes for an enviroment that you don't see in other RPGs. SH is also the only RPG game that can really make you laugh. I think its good that they've improved a good and innovative battle system.

And and think you're being a bit narrow-minded about it, seeing that the quote ends as: "it seems to borrow the best features of many other RPGs (including its own predecessors) and blend them into near perfect harmony". What thats basically saying is the game takes things that we've seen in other RPGs before, but puts them all in one game. Then again, I guess that could be exactly why you wouldn't want to play it.

I love the historical tie ins the Shadow Hearts series uses. It is an interesting twist to each game and very creative IMO. The developers get a round of applause for those things. I can't wait to see how Al Capone and other historical factors tie into this one. The SH series is great for making you laugh, the pillow scene, Anastasia wanting to wash Kurando's underwear, Joachim doing anything... all classic to me. Although I do have a few others that make me laugh more, SH is right up there. I don't mind what it borrows and uses as long as it is fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
546 posts

Feb 23, 2006
As always, it simply comes down to personal opinion.  Since I picked the first one up on a whim, I've been a fan of the series.  I'm planning on getting the newest one due to the historical aspects, the more "dark" feel to them, the Judgement Ring, and the off beat humor.  That and the fact that I've played the demo for about 2 hours, even though it resets after 30 minutes.  Gerard and Buigen hitting on Johnny in front of a Geppeto and Cordelia makes me giggle.
-
Owned by Atlus
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3622 posts

Feb 23, 2006
To tell the truth I actually don't like world maps that much.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Feb 23, 2006
Tell that to Square-Enix about Dragon Quest.  Seriously, if you updated the first couple of Dragon Quest titles with Dragon Quest VIII's graphics, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference other than the different characters. :smileyvery-happy:  Shadow Hearts and Dragon Quest both need to change.

Message Edited by Seiken_Densetsu on 02-23-200603:38 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4200 posts

Feb 23, 2006

Kos-Mos Is MY-Girl wrote:
To tell the truth I actually don't like world maps that much.

Does not surprise me.  Games without them would not be in the majority if the general public liked them.

I remember games on the old consoles that did not have them.  But they were few and far between.
Digikoto is no more... But you can keep up with my blog for the latest and greatest in gaming, music and entertainment editorials...

TSL Blog
Blog RSS Feeds
TSL on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1624 posts

Feb 23, 2006
Heh.... SHs are funny, but never the LOL moment for me. Anyhow their storylines are interesting enough to worthy of purchase.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
546 posts

Feb 23, 2006
Just read the Gamefan review.  With just just one word and a name, it has been cemeted that I must buy this game: Arkham and H. P. Lovecraft.  Yep, I'm that bad.
-
Owned by Atlus
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 20 (0 Views)
0 Likes