I Only Post Everything
1223 posts

Re: Ridge Racer 8

Apr 8, 2011

No doubt the guys know how to make competent racing games, I just don't like the fact it's named "Ridge Racer", especially when comparing the series to the stuff Bugbear did before...and from the sound of it they clearly wanna give it their typical style...I'm just really worried how much "RR" there will actually be left for fans to recognize in the end.

At least with R:Racing Evolution Bamco was smart enough to not actually call it Ridge Racer because the gameplay was entirely different. It might be stupid of me to bother so much just because of the name, but if a game is called Ridge Racer I have a certain expectation of what's in it...and Unbounded seems to stray veeeery far off those expectations.

In the end it's just a marketing stunt to slap an established brand name onto the title, that's at least the feeling I'm getting so far.

Hard to imagine how the drifting will turn out eventually (that's the question that would've interested me most and they didn't answer it in the interview...), but it's obvious the typical "on rails" mechanic won't work in a sandbox environment.

"Going for a new direction" may sound like a good thing to do in certain cases, but I'm sure most of the folks here would've just wished for a further improved RR7-like experience as the next major console installment in the series...not a Burnout wannabe.

It's kinda funny actually, Bamco usually is so eager recycling stuff and making only minor changes to their franchises, just not when you want them to

Message 41 of 42 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Re: Ridge Racer 8

Apr 12, 2011

I'm hoping this game will be salvaged by some sort of option for crash-less, closed circuit based races. Otherwise it's a carbon copy of BP.

Message 42 of 42 (239 Views)
0 Likes