Apr 21 2012
By: remanutd5 Treasure Hunter 7393 posts

Main Characters

5 replies 31 views Edited Apr 21, 2012

hey guys i was wondering why are there so many main characters on the Resistance franchise? Nathan Hale started it all but then came James Grayson, Joseph Cappelli and now a fireman Tom Riley , what do you think about about change of characters on almost every game of the franchise? i mean Uncharted only has one character , God of war has only Kratos , metal gear has snake , little big planet has sackboy, why resistance has so many different characters? i love the franchise , its my favorite shooter franchise ever but i dont like to see so many main characters , if it were up to me Hale would be the only main character.

Message 1 of 6 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7120 posts

Re: Main Characters

Apr 21, 2012

Well, the reason why there are so many characters in the Resistance series is because it is so expansive. With Resistance, it is all about man's fight for survival. Because of this, the developers have gotten the chance to explore many types of characters and how they attempt to survive against the Chimeran onslaught. With Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2, we got to see Hale as he slowly succumbed to the Chimeran virus, but also how he made the ultimate sacrifice in his final hours as he tried to save the country.

In Resistance: Retribution we meet James Grayson, who is hellbent on destroying the Chimera for what they did to his brother. Unlike Hale's story, Grayson's more motivated by revenge and anger. With that said, he in the end makes a huge contribution in the war against the Chimera by destroying their source for Carriers.

In Resistance 3, we see a more human side to Capelli. In Resistance 2, he was gruff and angry, often disagreeing with Nathan Hale's methods. In the end, he is even forced to kill Hale, who had finally been converted thanks to the virus. In R3, we see Capelli has changed. He doesn't want to fight the Chimera. He wishes to stay with his family and attempt to live a quiet life in spite of the Chimera forces pushing the human race closer to extinction. If you have read the book "Hole in the Sky", you will see that he is haunted by Hale's death. He feels incredibly guilty despite having made the right choice. In the end, like both Hale and Grayson, Capelli goes out and causes major damage to the Chimeran war machine, all because he wanted to give his wife and son a chance at a better life.

Now we have Tom Riley, a fireman. He is the first "normal" character we get to play as. We take control of him as the Chimera are launching their major assault on New York. We get to witness an every day man as he attempts to take on the seemingly invincible enemy that is now approaching. I'm personally excited to see how this will play out, as it will be interesting to see what happens to Riley (Mainly because New York is a Chimeran stronghold in Resistance 3).

To me, the Resistance series simply would not be the same if it didn't delve into multiple characters. If we simply saw the world through Nathan Hale's eyes, we would not get to see some of the struggles and decisions others have had to make in order to survive. With characters such as Riley and Grayson, we get to view humanity as it slowly crumbles under the boot of the Chimera in different lights, and that provides so many different ways to tell a story.

Message 2 of 6 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

May 6, 2012

I agree. But Burning Skies is a prequel to everything. Resistance 3 was the end. I never did get to play Retribution.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 3 of 6 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7393 posts

May 7, 2012

i just hope Riley is at least as half bad ass as Hale was, Hale was awesome !!!!!! i'm still upset at IG for R2 ending lol

Message 4 of 6 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

May 13, 2012

Yeah I doubt he will be as cool as Hale lol.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 5 of 6 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
9305 posts

May 24, 2012

I still wish they kept Nathan Hale, maybe having to squad up with him in a mission or two..

Message 6 of 6 (31 Views)
0 Likes