Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 26 2012
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11176 posts

Resident Evil 6: Do you think it'll be worth getting straight away?

35 replies 4647 views Edited Jul 26, 2012

To me, Resident Evil 6 looks a great deal like Resident Evil 5. Opinions will no doubt differ, but Resident Evil 5 itself is not one of the series' brightest moments.

When I think about the second half of the year though, the PlayStation slate is fairly empty at this point. Trying to decide on games to buy just out of necessity is not an easy sell. It's hard looking at 2012 and saying I only wanted a couple of games that year. But, it's also hard saying I forced my hand to buy these extra games just because there was nothing else that really struck my fancy.

While I probably could wait for a sale to hit, 2013 is estimating to be a busier time than 2012. With most of the games of interest having been redirected to the following year, I could easily see myself too hampered with later games than I would be in the nearing Holiday season. Given that much, do you think it'd be better to go and get Resident Evil 6 while there's not a lot of attractions around, or would it be better to wait for a later date when I probably won't have as much time to give to the game?

Message 1 of 36 (4,647 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Re: Resident Evil 6: Do you think it'll be worth getting straight away?

Jul 26, 2012
I have RE 6 collectors edition preordered for about 100 bucks. so needless to say I think its worth it. i've been playing RE since the first one when i was 12 and these days it may not scare me like it once did but i still love it. i definitely know what you mean about buying games you have so-so feelings about just because there's nothing out that you really MUST HAVE.
"do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one"

Get your Portable ID!
Message 2 of 36 (4,645 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11176 posts

Jul 26, 2012

Up to this point, I've played all the main story arcs in the Resident Evil series... not including side chapters or other side games that I didn't see the potential in a sale. Resident Evil was one of the first PlayStation games I've actually played on a PlayStation console at home. Then when the second one came out I loved that one a lot as well. The third was passable, although different. The fourth had a very unique and captivating gameplay system that was very fresh at the time, engaging many players including myself. Resident Evil 5 was pretty good, but like Resident Evil 4 before it the game was a much more action-survival game. The game felt sort of the same except not quite as excellent. You can say the freshness wore off.

The co-op element was new to the series in 2009, but not new to gaming as a whole. Having an online buddy to help out was kind of interesting, although not needed. The computer intelligence worked just fine, except when it came to things like not using grenades. But now we're back to this, looking at a mirror image of the Resident Evil we've been through three years prior. Yeah, zombies are back and Leon and Chris are finally together in one game. It's supposed to be a combination of all the best ingredients of the franchise, but I still have my doubts that the sixth installment will have the brilliance fans once admired so long ago.

Message 3 of 36 (4,637 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2012

No doubt if you enjoyed RE5 that RE6 might be a must buy. I have played almost all resident Evil titles that contributed to the story (except CV, RE0, and Revelations), and to an extent I liked them all.

I was one of those people who had mixed feelings about single player partner AI lol. It was kind of difficult to try supporting the AI when he/she runs through ammo like it's unlimited. Co-op was a fun experience imo.

I'm glad that RE6 is at least making an attempt to try to go back to it's roots with dark environments and zombies. That being said, I might wait for a later released edition (just like I did with RE5).

Message 4 of 36 (4,621 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7583 posts

Aug 1, 2012

It looks really dumb and actioney to me. I would deff pass on this one at least until it gets a big price cut say 20 bucks.

Message 5 of 36 (4,617 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Aug 6, 2012

I decided that i'm not gonna jump on the "hater" band wagon this time.

The game looks SICK.

All the people whining about the older games, and how things are different. . . . . so this game doesn't have tank controls?  GOOD.

The game looks fun, and last I checked, I played games for fun, so I'm failing to see where the problem is.

Plus, I loved those old games too. . . . and just a thought, but if you want to play a game that is like Resident Evil 1, 2, or 3. . . . you could always you know play one of those games.

Just a thought.

Anyway, I will definately be getting this along with the Dark Souls DLC.

Message 6 of 36 (4,606 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
126 posts

Aug 12, 2012

Completely agree with you on this one...Are you pre-ordering it? It would be awesome to play co-op when it comes out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/420411971327932/
^Join this group if you have Resident Evil Games for the PS3^

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 36 (4,589 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Aug 13, 2012

Nah, i`m just going to pick it up on the day.

I got the limited edition of RE5, and my mom broke the collector`s figure that came with it.  (she knocked it off the shelf).

So it lost its collector`s value.

And to be honest, although the collector`s box and DVD were cool.   I honestly didn`t really check out that stuff all that much.   Although i`ve played the heck out of the game.  (still play it to this day).

so I think I`ll just pick up the regular version of the game this time.

Message 8 of 36 (4,582 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 22, 2012

I respect your outlook on the Resident Evil series as it doesn't seem biased and one sided like most fans of the franchise. You, much like most veteran players, have been in the game since day one. What some people try to ignore is the nostalgia of playing those games all those years ago. While Resident Evil 4 and 5 aren't amazing titles, nor was the original 3. Resident Evil has been notorious for being plagued with bad controls, terrible voice acting and very little content. For reasons unknown, people try to pretend this isn't true. I'm not saying the original games were bad, because they weren't. They're amazing games that innovated and spun off one of the most known franchises to date.

When you look at games like Resident Evil 4 and fault it for not being scary (not you in particular), you're pretty much ignoring all the things that make it a good game, along with 5. The real problem is, people just want to go back to what they remember and relive that experience they all grew up on, me included. Unfortunately, those types of games are extremely dated. 

Imagine if Resident Evil 6 still had static pre-rendered backgrounds and predictable zombie locations. People think they still want this, but I don't think they really do. They just want that fresh experience of jumping into a new game franchise and being engaged in the progressive story over multiple iterations.

Most Resident Evil fanatics remain in denial of the later games all the while still supporting it even though is goes against everything they stand for. People still throwing the phrase "Survival Horror" around when referencing the series. The game hasn't been a 'Survival Horror' in quite a while. (I would say Code Veronica being the last real SH in the series) Instead, the creators has dubbed the genre "Dramatic Horror" which is more action than survival. Let's be realistic, as of recently, the main characters have placed themselves in the situations they're dealing with. They're not surviving anything, they're performing a task.

tl;dr: I think you should buy it soon as a Resident Evil player. Some people play games for mechanics and gameplay, others for story. (Most for both) I'm sure you can find a good reason to play it. 

Message 9 of 36 (4,566 Views)
Fender Bender
2778 posts

Aug 17, 2012

Oh god no, after playing RE5 i'm reluctant to even think about getting RE6 and after watching the new videos I'm even more incline to just wait for it to hit the bargain bin or wait for someone to let me borrow it. They have moved even further away from the RE roots that made these games so great. I know that changing things up isn’t a bad thing but once you go from survival horror to action packed gameplay you loss what made the series so good. I want to be on the edge of my seat trying to survive on the little ammo I have left to fight off the next unforeseen enemy. Not, “lets shot the place up and not worry about ammo because everything we kill will drop random ammo boxes for us”. RE6 is going down that same route with its action oriented direction, yea it’s cool that the game will have 4 campaigns but where is the survival element, the suspense? Leon’s campaign tries to be that part of the game I am looking for but it’s just another action packed part of the campaign with jets falling from the sky and loud explosions everywhere. So, I’m going to wait for this game to be really cheap or borrow it from someone who has it. 

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 10 of 36 (4,556 Views)
0 Likes