Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 28 2010
By: HunterDadHD Wastelander 932 posts

Problem Installing Red Dead - RESOLVED - Last update!

29 replies 8912 views Edited Jun 28, 2010

ORIGINAL PROBLEM:

Well the patch downloaded and installed just fine, but then Red Dead would not go past the loading screen, tried all last night and this morning.

I figured they might be having networking issues at R* so I decided to wait until today and read the forums.

It was suggested to delete the game data and let it re-install.  No dice... Now it gets to installing and freezes at 96%

Whether I tell it to download the patch first, or not, it still locks up at 96% of INSTALLING RED DEAD REDEMPTION....

I have tried to get it going about 20 times now, all with the same result.  Deleting Game Data (513mb) does nothing.

I find it hard to believe a patch would cause my machine NOT to re-install the game from scratch, but it seems I am stuck... can't even install to play at all...

Is there any way to check the HDD for issues, or anyone else hear of this happening?

UPDATES:

• Completely deleted ALL videos, game Demos, and Game Data for all games - No Go...
  • Restored the PS3 to default - No Go...
  • Went on vacation and loaned the game to a friend.  Installed fine on his ps3 and he played all week...
  • ReFormatted my entire system.  Took 7 hours last night and finished this morning.  Did nothing else but try to install Red Dead, and it hangs at 96% STILL!!!!!
  • About to pull my hair out turn the ps3 into a lawn ornament
Here is what I do not understand...
From an IT perspective... the game worked when I first got it.  It wasn't until I deleted the game data (to try and fix freezing after patch update to 1.02) then tried to re-install the game data and now it won't.
But a complete format of my ps3, and still the game that installed fine when i first got it (and installs fine on other ps3's) still won't install on my system.  This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...  It almost seems like some kind of hardware failure (like the laser for some reason has an issue reading that section of the disc?) was caused by this game and now I can't recover from it.
My ps3 is only a few months old (Fat 120 Gb Model).
NEXT POSSIBLE STEPS:

• Rent the game and see if a different disc gives different results (hate to waste the extreme amount Blockbuster charges but whatever)
  • Re-install all my other games again (God Of War 3, Gran Tourismo Prologue, Uncharted 2) to make sure disc can be read and installed from with other games.
  • Break my PS3 in half, pee in both halves and send one to R* and one to Sony
God I wish I had a friend who owned this game!!!!!
FINAL UPDATE BELOW!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I emailed R* and they responded immediately!  Here is their response.

Hello HunterDadHD and thanks for your message,

We apologize for all the problems you are having. This is indeed an unusual issue and it seems like you’ve tried almost all. We’d suggest you either exchanging the disc in your retailer for a new one (it may be the disc’s fault) or as you said, renting another copy. Sorry for not being more helpful, but we think you should try that before anything else because it does seem like a disc problem since you mentioned in that forum that the other games installed correctly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

R* Support

Bottom line is that just because a disc works for others, DOES NOT MEAN it will work in your ps3.  Weird, but true.
Help this helps anyone else who may come across problems installing this, or any other game on their PS3.
Now what have I missed???  TommyTrojan, PierceHolden, Philkuu and others.... I need to catch up!!!  
Hit me up!!!!!!  (still don't have my damn most wanted trophy arghhgghghghg
HD

My son's name is Hunter, so please call me HD...
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 30 (8,912 Views)
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Re: 96% Installing... RDR now unplayable in any mode

Jun 13, 2010

try this:

delete the game data then go to system > network settings > media server connection > disable

then try to install and get the update again.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
932 posts

Jun 13, 2010

Nope... still hangs at 96%... I have to press the PS button and choose quit game.

I tried every possible combination, with network, without, no media server, no LAN connection at all, with network, with patch first, without patch download...  

this is driving me crazy....

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Jun 14, 2010

that sucks. 

shot in the dark, but you could always try going into safe mode and repairing system files or rebuilding the database.  i don't think any of those things will affect any of your data (in case you'd be worried about losing something).

it's very strange that it won't let you re-install the game data.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
932 posts

Jun 14, 2010
Well. I guess it is a time for tons of googling (only had the ps3 a little over a month...)

Never had to deal with any system based work... have no idea what would be lost (save data, videos, photos, demos etc...)

I will start all that tomorrow, maybe I will try to rent the game to rule out any issues with the disc... though it appears to be cleaner and have less scratches than any other disc I have in the house... in fact the disc is very close to perfect...

brutal... start with looking into backing this bad boy up first...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jun 14, 2010

im having the same issue,it doesnt go past the main screen

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Jun 14, 2010

yep the patch is the end of what could have been a great game o well maybe next time R*.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
R.I.P. Louisoix
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1883 posts

Jun 14, 2010

I don't know if it matters, but is your PS3 firmware up to date?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
932 posts

Jun 14, 2010
As far as I know, like I said I have not done any system based work on this yet... not even sure how to check firmware, or backup, or enter safe-mode, or re-install....
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jun 14, 2010

well if he installed the patch,he has so sign in to psn,and you cant sign in without updating your ps3,so he probably does have the latest firmware, i know i do as well,and yesterday i booted up the game,played for like 5 minutes then it froze on me again,so its not my ps3 its the game that is failing,i hope Rockstar fixes this issue this week.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 30 (8,912 Views)
0 Likes