2232 posts

Re: VTEC

Feb 10, 2007

Carmaster wrote:

Cold Napalm wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

Cold Napalm wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

I could not have said it better myself! I guess this thread does still have some life in it.
kman79, what if Honda/Acura never does produce a V8? Many of their new concept cars feature V10s. Maybe they feel that V8s have too much of a gas-guzzling image to appeal to their major VTEC customers? (VTEC loving teenagers:smileyvery-happy:)

Are you saying that people who buy hondas are THAT dumb that they don't know a V10 will use up more gas then a V8 in the same engine displacement?!? I mean really I knew that Honda fanbois could be dumb, but even I didn't think they were THAT dumb.

No, but muscle cars from the late 60s/early 70s used V8s, and maybe VTEC lovers just despise 8 cylinders in general. If they love VTEC enough to work on their car long enough to get 800+ HP from 4 cylinders, I don't think they really care about gas mileage. And what about low displacement, high revving V10s? Those would have the same nature as low displacement, high revving VTEC engines, and could possibly get halfway decent gas mileage at low RPMs with a cylinder deactivation system enabled.

And a low displacement high rev V-8 will get better gas milage with cylinder deactivation as well. I mean if your aginst a V-8 because of fuel efficency and your solution for that is a V-10 then really you just dumb. No really if honda fanbois really REALLY are THAT dumb okay I guess I was wrong...they actually are that dumb. Gotcha, good to know.

I'm not against V8s, but Honda fanboys probably are. As I stated before, I doubt people getting 800+ horsepower from 4 cylinders care about gas mileage. Besides, V8s are iconic of American muscle cars. I don't think Honda wants that image. That would be like if the C7 Corvette had a 450 horsepower turbo/supercharged inline 4. It would still have 50 more horsepower that the C6, but I don't think Corvette fans would like it. Just like how Honda fans (not me) wouldn't like a V8 powered S2000.

No a low rev, high torque V-8 is iconic of american muscle cars. A high rev V-8 is more iconic of british sports car. So basically you agree that the honda fanbois are indeed dumb enough that their fuel efficent solution to the "gas" guzzling V-8 is to use a V-10. As for the 450 HP vette...that depends entirely on how it's geared and where it peaks. A 450 HP turboed inline 4 vette that has a smiliar power curve and gearing as the other vette I think will find acceptance. The trouble is that your not gonna get anywhere near the similar power curve out of a turboed 450 hp engine as from the LS engines. HP isn't the be all end all of how a car drives. A 200 HP car with 120 lb feet of torque at 9000 RPMs is gonna drive NOTHING like a car that has 200 HP and 120 torque that peaks at 4000 RPMs...much less when the torque rating is different by 50% or more.
Message 291 of 295 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Feb 10, 2007

Cold Napalm wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

Cold Napalm wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

Cold Napalm wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

I could not have said it better myself! I guess this thread does still have some life in it.
kman79, what if Honda/Acura never does produce a V8? Many of their new concept cars feature V10s. Maybe they feel that V8s have too much of a gas-guzzling image to appeal to their major VTEC customers? (VTEC loving teenagers:smileyvery-happy:)

Are you saying that people who buy hondas are THAT dumb that they don't know a V10 will use up more gas then a V8 in the same engine displacement?!? I mean really I knew that Honda fanbois could be dumb, but even I didn't think they were THAT dumb.

No, but muscle cars from the late 60s/early 70s used V8s, and maybe VTEC lovers just despise 8 cylinders in general. If they love VTEC enough to work on their car long enough to get 800+ HP from 4 cylinders, I don't think they really care about gas mileage. And what about low displacement, high revving V10s? Those would have the same nature as low displacement, high revving VTEC engines, and could possibly get halfway decent gas mileage at low RPMs with a cylinder deactivation system enabled.

And a low displacement high rev V-8 will get better gas milage with cylinder deactivation as well. I mean if your aginst a V-8 because of fuel efficency and your solution for that is a V-10 then really you just dumb. No really if honda fanbois really REALLY are THAT dumb okay I guess I was wrong...they actually are that dumb. Gotcha, good to know.

I'm not against V8s, but Honda fanboys probably are. As I stated before, I doubt people getting 800+ horsepower from 4 cylinders care about gas mileage. Besides, V8s are iconic of American muscle cars. I don't think Honda wants that image. That would be like if the C7 Corvette had a 450 horsepower turbo/supercharged inline 4. It would still have 50 more horsepower that the C6, but I don't think Corvette fans would like it. Just like how Honda fans (not me) wouldn't like a V8 powered S2000.

No a low rev, high torque V-8 is iconic of american muscle cars. A high rev V-8 is more iconic of british sports car. So basically you agree that the honda fanbois are indeed dumb enough that their fuel efficent solution to the "gas" guzzling V-8 is to use a V-10. As for the 450 HP vette...that depends entirely on how it's geared and where it peaks. A 450 HP turboed inline 4 vette that has a smiliar power curve and gearing as the other vette I think will find acceptance. The trouble is that your not gonna get anywhere near the similar power curve out of a turboed 450 hp engine as from the LS engines. HP isn't the be all end all of how a car drives. A 200 HP car with 120 lb feet of torque at 9000 RPMs is gonna drive NOTHING like a car that has 200 HP and 120 torque that peaks at 4000 RPMs...much less when the torque rating is different by 50% or more.

I never said the V10 would be fuel efficient, I just said Honda fanboys might be more willing to accept it, since the majority of V8s are low revving, high torque designs. Honda fans usually prefer a gutless high revving kind of engine.:smileyvery-happy:
As for Corvette fans accepting a 4 cylinder C7, I'm going to make a survey to see if you're right.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 292 of 295 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2232 posts

Feb 11, 2007
well make sure the survey has the torque and peak powers near the same...even if it is actually impossible in real life.
Message 293 of 295 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Feb 11, 2007

Cold Napalm wrote:
well make sure the survey has the torque and peak powers near the same...even if it is actually impossible in real life.

Edited.:smileyvery-happy:
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 294 of 295 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1845 posts

Feb 11, 2007
Honda doesn't even have cylinder deactivation on any of their cars IIRC (granted, that is also because they only have 6 cylinder engines from which to do that).
------------------------------------
PSN ID 1- futuresealsnipe
PSN ID 2- blue_solace

FFVIII>FFVII
Message 295 of 295 (0 Views)
0 Likes