Reply
Highlighted
Dec 14 2006
By: iUser3G Fender Bender 3224 posts
Offline

VTEC

294 replies 16 views Edited Dec 14, 2006
Do you think VTEC really makes a difference? I know it really boosts the hp and torque in Honda's 4 cylinder engines. But some domestic drivers swear it is nothing but a gimmick. Even if it is a gimmick, 200 hp from a 1.6 liter engine is ridiculous. I also know that VTEC engines seem to be short on torque. But I saw and heard something that changed my life. I saw a modified B16 powered Honda Civic Del Sol beat a slightly modified Corvette. What do you think? Also, please do not flame this thread.

Message Edited by Carmaster on 09-25-200605:07 PM



Message Edited by Carmaster on 12-14-2006 06:44 PM
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 265 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/15/2005
Offline
5632 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006

,
,
,Carmaster wrote:
,
Do you think VTEC really makes a difference? I know it really boosts the hp and torque in Honda's 4 cylinder engines. But some domestic drivers swear it is nothing but a gimmick. Even if it is a gimmick, 200 hp from a 1.6 liter engine is ridiculous. I also know that VTEC engines seem to be short on torque. But I saw and heard something that changed my life. I saw a modified B16 powered Honda Civic Del Sol beat a slightly modified Corvette. What do you think? Also, please do not flame this thread.

,
,

no and in some ways Honda wasn't the first to have VTEC. All it does is advance and retard the valve timing. That may get you about 10-30 HP and 15 lbs ft of torque nothing too big. I think theat Del Sol had more than a plain VTEC engine in it. Getting back to my first point. Aftermarket parts producers back in the 60s made parts for american cars that did the same thing that VTEC does. It wasnt computerized back then (obviously) so it was not quite as accurate, but it worked about as well as the current system.
PSN: R8_Man
Message 1 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/11/2006
Offline
3224 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006

,
,
,r8man wrote:
,

,
,
,Carmaster wrote:
,
Do you think VTEC really makes a difference? I know it really boosts the hp and torque in Honda's 4 cylinder engines. But some domestic drivers swear it is nothing but a gimmick. Even if it is a gimmick, 200 hp from a 1.6 liter engine is ridiculous. I also know that VTEC engines seem to be short on torque. But I saw and heard something that changed my life. I saw a modified B16 powered Honda Civic Del Sol beat a slightly modified Corvette. What do you think? Also, please do not flame this thread.

,
,

no and in some ways Honda wasn't the first to have VTEC. All it does is advance and retard the valve timing. That may get you about 10-30 HP and 15 lbs ft of torque nothing too big. I think theat Del Sol had more than a plain VTEC engine in it. Getting back to my first point. Aftermarket parts producers back in the 60s made parts for american cars that did the same thing that VTEC does. It wasnt computerized back then (obviously) so it was not quite as accurate, but it worked about as well as the current system.
,
,

VTEC also varies valve lift in addition to valve timing. Its like having two different engines in the same car. The low rpm cams are optimized for gas milage and the high rpm cams give you maximum power.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 2 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 11/16/2004
Offline
1845 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006
,

VTEC works but is not the godsend ricers seem to think it is.

,

And who cares if a Del Sol beat a Corvette? I'm sure that Del Sol had so much done to it, it's not even funny. Throw the same money in a Corvette and you'll end up with something even faster.

,

You can make a Hyundai Accent a 10 second car, but why?

------------------------------------
PSN ID 1- futuresealsnipe
PSN ID 2- blue_solace

FFVIII>FFVII
Message 3 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/11/2006
Offline
3224 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006
,
,

,
,
,futuresealsniper wrote:
,
,

VTEC works but is not the godsend ricers seem to think it is.

,

And who cares if a Del Sol beat a Corvette? I'm sure that Del Sol had so much done to it, it's not even funny. Throw the same money in a Corvette and you'll end up with something even faster.

,

You can make a Hyundai Accent a 10 second car, but why?


,
,

Well the Del Sol was mostly stock on the outside, but it had a non-turbo B16 and a set of rims. It had absolutly no rice equipment. No wing no rediculous body kit, it was pretty clean. The Corvette was also modified.  It had a set of rims, an intake and exaust, and a mod chip for the cpu. But theoretically, since the Del Sol was much cheaper to buy the owner had more money to spend on parts. But it was not heavily modified. Since the Corvette costs three times as much the owner didn't have as much money to put into upgrades. It was a very close race though.,

Edit: The Corvette was a 2002 C5 with the LS1 and non-removeable top.

Message Edited by Carmaster on 08-05-2006 07:38 PM

I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 4 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/11/2006
Offline
3224 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006

,
,
,futuresealsniper wrote:
,
,

VTEC works but is not the godsend ricers seem to think it is.

,

And who cares if a Del Sol beat a Corvette? I'm sure that Del Sol had so much done to it, it's not even funny. Throw the same money in a Corvette and you'll end up with something even faster.

,

You can make a Hyundai Accent a 10 second car, but why?


,
,

Is it even possible to make a Hyndai a ten second car?? If it is, technology has come a looong way.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 5 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/09/2006
Offline
165 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006
All you have to do is drop a crazy amount of money in a car, it could go as fast as you want it to. The weaker the car the more money it will cost.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 6 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/11/2006
Offline
3224 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 5, 2006

,
,
,BlueSmoke wrote:
,
All you have to do is drop a crazy amount of money in a car, it could go as fast as you want it to. The weaker the car the more money it will cost.
,
,

Yeah, but I said the Honda wasn't heavily modified, and the Corvette costs much more anyway.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 7 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 11/16/2004
Offline
1845 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 6, 2006
,
,

,
,
,Carmaster wrote:
,

,
,
,BlueSmoke wrote:
,
All you have to do is drop a crazy amount of money in a car, it could go as fast as you want it to. The weaker the car the more money it will cost.
,
,

Yeah, but I said the Honda wasn't heavily modified, and the Corvette costs much more anyway.
,
,
,


He's right. You need either cubic inches or cubic money for a car to go fast.

,

So the Honda costs less? Well, we'll just get a 98 Z28 for cheap and throw a lot of money into it. I guarantee it would hand that Del Sol its ***.

,

Edit: Not trying to argue or "best" you, just making a point. Any car will be fast with enough money. So in that case, I'm not surprised that a Del Sol beat a Vette at all.

,

Edit2: Yea, I remember seeing a Hyundai run something real fast. In the end though, you're still driving a Hyundai.

Message Edited by futuresealsniper on 08-05-2006 09:40 PM

------------------------------------
PSN ID 1- futuresealsnipe
PSN ID 2- blue_solace

FFVIII>FFVII
Message 8 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/11/2006
Offline
3224 posts
 

Re: VTEC

Aug 6, 2006

,
,
,futuresealsniper wrote:
,
,
,

,
,
,Carmaster wrote:
,

,
,
,BlueSmoke wrote:
,
All you have to do is drop a crazy amount of money in a car, it could go as fast as you want it to. The weaker the car the more money it will cost.
,
,

Yeah, but I said the Honda wasn't heavily modified, and the Corvette costs much more anyway.
,
,
,


He's right. You need either cubic inches or cubic money for a car to go fast.

,

So the Honda costs less? Well, we'll just get a 98 Z28 for cheap and throw a lot of money into it. I guarantee it would hand that Del Sol its ***.

,

Edit: Not trying to argue or "best" you, just making a point. Any car will be fast with enough money. So in that case, I'm not surprised that a Del Sol beat a Vette at all.

,

Edit2: Yea, I remember seeing a Hyundai run something real fast. In the end though, you're still driving a Hyundai.

,

Message Edited by futuresealsniper on 08-05-2006 09:40 PM
,


,

But both the Corvette and the Del Sol only had about $5,000 in mods.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 9 of 295 (16 Views)
Reply
0 Likes