Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 12 2007
By: camaro126 Ghost of Sparta 15052 posts

Toyota Sludge

9 replies 2 views Edited Feb 12, 2007
Toyota to pay owners for engine damages
Compensation for 3.5 million '97-'02 Lexus, Toyota vehicles may cost automaker billions.
Christine Tierney Link to Original Article @ DetNews

Toyota Motor Corp. has agreed to compensate owners of Lexus and Toyota vehicles that suffered engine damage due to a buildup of thickened oil, or sludge, in a settlement approved this week by a Louisiana state court.

The agreement covers 3.5 million 1997-2002 model-year vehicles, although it is not known how many were damaged by sludge.

Toyota agreed to settle the 2001 class-action suit last fall, and says the terms mirror a program the automaker put in place in 2002 to reimburse customers for sludge-related engine damage.

"The terms of the settlement and the settlement itself have no finding of defect," Toyota spokesman Xavier Dominicis said.

Excessive heat, sediment or poor oil condition may cause engine oil to thicken and clog narrow engine passages, depriving the engine of lubrication and causing damage. With engine replacements costing thousands of dollars, the ultimate expense to Toyota may run into the billions.

The high-profile suit has dealt a blow to Toyota's reputation, but other automakers -- including DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group, Volkswagen AG and General Motors Corp.'s Saab brand -- have faced similar complaints.

Automakers blame poor maintenance, such as infrequent oil changes, but some experts suspect engine design. "There isn't a consensus," said Karl Brauer, editor in chief of the online automotive research site Edmunds.com.

The settlement covers certain model years between 1997 and 2002 for the Toyota Camry, Solara, Avalon, Celica and Lexus ES300 cars, and the RX300 and Highlander SUVs. The amount "is tailored to your damages," said attorney Gary Gambel of Murphy, Rogers, Sloss & Gambel in New Orleans.
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9122 posts

Re: Toyota Sludge

Feb 13, 2007
3 month old news for me.

but seriously Toyota is slipping, and all from this obsesion to be #1
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingWe Dig Giant Robots!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1845 posts

Feb 13, 2007
Unless there is a massive amount of heat, I'm not sure how this would happen. As long as you get your oil changed regularly and keep your filters cleaned, you shouldn't have a problem. Interesting to say the least. Toyota is starting to show the cracks...
------------------------------------
PSN ID 1- futuresealsnipe
PSN ID 2- blue_solace

FFVIII>FFVII
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8165 posts

Feb 13, 2007
Haha, what the. This still happens in cars? I mean "sluge" is such an old term for cars made in the 70s and early 80s. There must be some sort of engeering flaw with a certain part in the engine, not poor maintenece, this never happens to cars now days.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

Feb 13, 2007

FastPAt wrote:
Haha, what the. This still happens in cars? I mean "sluge" is such an old term for cars made in the 70s and early 80s. There must be some sort of engeering flaw with a certain part in the engine, not poor maintenece, this never happens to cars now days.

Yes this still happens. Not just in Toyota, but I'd say that Toyota is the leader in this.
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3378 posts

Feb 14, 2007
wow toyota is pwning its self....
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9428 posts

Feb 16, 2007
Since we're talking about the Lexus And Camry and other "larger" cars, I am assuming that we're NOT talking about the 2.4 litre 4cyl inline dohc engine, correct??
I mean, I really didn't see anything Identifying the model of engine 4,6,8 cyllinders. Anyone know for sure??

Message Edited by GT allstar on 02-16-2007 04:38 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

Feb 17, 2007

GT allstar wrote:
Since we're talking about the Lexus And Camry and other "larger" cars, I am assuming that we're NOT talking about the 2.4 litre 4cyl inline dohc engine, correct??
I mean, I really didn't see anything Identifying the model of engine 4,6,8 cyllinders. Anyone know for sure??

Message Edited by GT allstar on 02-16-2007 04:38 PM

Well it really doesn't mention the details in the article. I'm sure you're fine if Toyota hasn't called you and told you they're replacing your engine.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5632 posts

Feb 17, 2007

Tiz a cool handle wrote:

FastPAt wrote:

Yes this still happens. Not just in Toyota, but I'd say that Toyota is the leader in this.

Never had sluge in any of the Fords and GMs I've owned
PSN: R8_Man
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1535 posts

Feb 17, 2007
Toyota is going into the GM whirlpool now. They think there #1 (even though GM still sells more then them), and they start slipping in quality. Personally I never see anything great about toyota's cars expect being overpriced.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (2 Views)
0 Likes